BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-14-2020, 01:55 PM   #1
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

f06 2015 640i xdrive Oil temp Gauge

Is this normal first time ever seeing it this high and im getting no warning lights or anything..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:56 PM   #2
bimmer12
Private
Rep
Drives: F06 650xi GC

I don't recall seeing mine that high. Your bio says New York, so I'm assuming it's not hot out. Is the needle staying up there for a sustained period of time? Since it's below the red, I would think it's technically considered within the "normal" operating parameters, but I'd probably be concerned if it likes to hang out there constantly.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 03:01 PM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

It is still in the acceptable range until it gets to the red area, but it also should not be different than what it normally is. But you don't give much info. Was it there the whole drive or just for a few minutes? Were you idling in traffic for a long period or driving 50 mph? How warm was it outside? Does it do it every drive now or just that once?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 05:52 PM   #4
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep

i was doing some coding i guess my cluster was glitching lol all is fine even my gas needle was glitchin
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 01:43 PM   #5
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Mine did something similar not long after I'd got the car. It was summertime (but in the UK, so hot, but not mental hot) and it went up similarly.

It was just normal driving conditions - not giving it a spanking any more than usual, nor sat in traffic more than usual.

Mine didnt' stay there that long though, came back down and settled about the 12 o clock position.

Bothered me too, but no matter how much I tried by ragging the shit out of the car, leaving it idling for ages, I couldn't get it to do it again.

Mine does however regularly sit ever so slightly over or slightly under dead centre, irrespective of what the ambient temp is or how the car is being driven, and I have no idea why. My mechanic, who I trust, tells me not to worry about it because its a combined oil and coolant reading.

Doesn't help diagnose your situation I appreciate, but thought it might be reassuring to know you're not alone!

Last edited by Russbmw; 02-16-2020 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 02:30 PM   #6
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
Mine did something similar not long after I'd got the car. It was summertime (but in the UK, so hot, but not mental hot) and it went up similarly.

It was just normal driving conditions - not giving it a spanking any more than usual, nor sat in traffic more than usual.

Mine didnt' stay there that long though, came back down and settled about the 12 o clock position.

Bothered me too, but no matter how much I tried by ragging the shit out of the car, leaving it idling for ages, I couldn't get it to do it again.

Mine does however regularly sit ever so slightly over or slightly under dead centre, irrespective of what the ambient temp is or how the car is being driven, and I have no idea why. My mechanic, who I trust, tells me not to worry about it because its a combined oil and coolant reading.

Doesn't help diagnose your situation I appreciate, but thought it might be reassuring to know you're not alone!
i believe mine occured after coding the instrument cluster because my gas guage and my oil temp gauge were both over shooting around the same amount but after a full restart they went back to there normal positions..

It is a oil temp gauge and not a coolant temp gauge though. On my 640 the oil temp never moves from the half way position even when i push on it or whatever meanwhile my 135i n54 pwrd stage 3 gets hotter the more you beat on it
Appreciate 0