BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-03-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

M6 Annoyances

I've had my F06 for about a month now and here are some things I can't stand. What do you find annoying in the M6? And how have you fixed the issue?

1. No auto close trunk
2. Have to reach behind you to engage the roller shades for the rear passenger windows -- typically like to engage the roller shades for privacy & heat reduction
3. Can't adjust the passenger seat
4. No freaking distance control in cruise control *arrghh* -- the 7 series had it a while ago -- hate that it wasn't translated down to the 6's -- they're more EXP!
5. No real good place to put the phone/keys whilst driving. -- They door handles are the size of a pill box
6. Road noise is really high for the price of this vehicle
7. If you tint the windows the edges look polkodotty (hard to explain) -- its just not clean looking -- all black.
8. No pops, or firebacks from the twin turbos -- I know you can get downpipes to solve this problem -- but I don't like the fumes within the cabin, nor droning.
9. Oh and this car is a LOVE BUG magnet -- sheesh just want to keep her in the garage for the whole month....
10. Folding mirrors stock -- I don't want to reprogram the car and risk voiding the warranty.

Don't get me wrong, I love this car. These are all small annoyance that go right out the window above 4K RPM combined with the sheer joy emerging via adrenaline. It's a roller coaster on wheels. love...love...loveee.

Cheers,
H
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

5. I put my phone onto the cradle in the centre console and my keys in the ashtray
6. On new Pilot Sport 4S tyres I was pretty happy with the noise. The PZeros were a bit louder
10. I've been meaning to code this in, I don't see why that would create warranty issues
      10-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

7. This literally drives me insane. My tint installer even used something called "Dot Devil" which helped some, but they're still annoyingly noticeable. I was able to eliminate the dots on the rear window by heating it up with a hair drying and pressing extremely, finger hurting hard. Not so much luck trying this on the side windows as I feel like I'm going to knock the glass off track if I pushed any harder.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 01:40 PM   #4
plm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

7. I'm about to get my rear side windows re-done because of this. I've seen some places use adhesive over the dot matrix area, some very lightly sand the dot matrix first to make it grippier and to reduce the level differential. There doesn't seem to be a universal solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 02:22 PM   #5
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

The auto close trunk annoys me to no end, have to agree there. I find reaching for the seatbelt a real pain also, I almost have to stretch out before i get in and reach back
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 04:22 PM   #6
XxTORONTOxX
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6

great list, all valid
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 05:14 PM   #7
plm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
I find reaching for the seatbelt a real pain also, I almost have to stretch out before i get in and reach back
Reach over with your right hand for the driver's side belt - it's much easier that way.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 05:23 PM   #8
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by plm View Post
Reach over with your right hand for the driver's side belt - it's much easier that way.
The dutch reach......
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #9
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by arucano View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by plm View Post
The dutch reach......
Lol i do.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2019, 07:35 PM   #10
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 comp

Garage List
Not sure what you mean by the roller shade? Its one button press and rolls up automatically?

-I wish it had the robotic arm to hand the seatbelt, e92 m3 had it!! Having soft close doors but not this, esp when the seatbelt IS hard to reach is lame!
-The HUD unit can cause reflection on the windshield
-the sun visors need to be thicker / extend out for full coverage
-radar cruise control - not having this is SUCH a bummer for a such a good GT car. Its like wtf was BMW thinking?
-I use a CD Player mount for holding cell phone which is the best solution EVER
-I wish the seats were like the newer gen m3's with the logo in metal/illuminated. Seats also need a bit better bolstering! They are comfy tho!
-I can live without auto close trunk, more weight we don't need
-I still have the window up issue where it won't roll up all the way when the car is stopped, unless you retry a few times..

Not a big list, but the car is epic, love it !
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #11
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

Yeah my 2008 infiniti had the radar cruise, i miss it

I don't feel like we need the auto close trunk, funny though my buddy with a 535i motorized close trunk stopped working last weekend
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
...here are some things I can't stand.

2. Have to reach behind you to engage the roller shades for the rear passenger windows -- typically like to engage the roller shades for privacy & heat reduction

5. No real good place to put the phone/keys whilst driving. -- They door handles are the size of a pill box

10. Folding mirrors stock -- I don't want to reprogram the car and risk voiding the warranty.

H
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikespiegel View Post
Not sure what you mean by the roller shade? Its one button press and rolls up automatically?
Ditto Spike in regards to the rear electric window shades. All 3 rear shades can be controlled from the driver's door button. The only thing required to make all 3 rear shades work in harmony...is that they all have to be in the same position. If they are NOT in the same position (like the rear shade is up, but the rear door shades are down...you have to lower the rear shade first, then PRESS & HOLD the button on the driver's door and all 3 shades will go up and down together. There's no need to have to reach around to the back to operate the rear passenger door shades. Give it a try and report back if you got it to work. See pic below taken from the owners manual

I have no problem with my phone...if its not in my pocket...then I place it in the big ol armrest under my right elbow, or in one of the cup holders or in the door's lower pocket (perhaps the M6 doors don't have a pocket/bin on the lower half of the door?). The same applies to the remote/keys if they aren't already in my pocket...I just pop open the cup holder or the center armrest.

Coding the mirrors to fold when locking/unlocking won't void your warranty. But if it does frighten you enough...how much longer will you be under warranty? When it expires...you can code your heart out.

My biggest gripe is...I wish the front shoulder seat belts had been engineered to be anchored to the B pillar instead of making the 2 & 4 dr coupes have the same set-up as the convertibles.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-04-2019 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-04-2019, 01:54 PM   #13
reggie01se
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
...here are some things I can't stand.

2. [COLOR="DarkRed"]Have to reach behind you to engage the roller shades for the rear passenger windows -- typically like to engage the roller shades for privacy & heat reduction[/COLOR]

H
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikespiegel View Post
Not sure what you mean by the roller shade? [COLOR="darkred"]Its one button press and rolls up automatically? [/COLOR]
Ditto Spike in regards to the rear electric window shades. All 3 rear shades can be controlled from the driver's door button. The only thing required to make all 3 rear shades work in harmony...is that they all have to be in the same position. If they are NOT in the same position (like the rear shade is up, but the rear door shades are down...you have to lower the rear shade first, then PRESS & HOLD the button on the driver's door and all 3 shades will go up and down together. There's no need to have to reach around to the back to operate the rear passenger door shades. Give it a try and report back if you got it to work. See pic below taken from the owners manual

I have no problem with my phone...if its not in my pocket...then I place it in the big ol armrest under my right elbow, or in one of the cup holders or in the door's lower pocket (perhaps the M6 doors don't have a pocket/bin on the lower half of the door?). The same applies to the remote/keys if they aren't already in my pocket...I just pop open the cup holder or the center armrest.

Coding the mirrors to fold when locking/unlocking won't void your warranty. But if it does frighten you enough...how much longer will you be under warranty? When it expires...you can code your heart out.

My biggest gripe is...I wish the front shoulder seat belts had been engineered to be anchored to the B pillar instead of making the 2 & 4 dr coupes have the same set-up as the convertibles.
I did not know this!!!! Thank you!!!
      10-04-2019, 02:27 PM   #14
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep

I like the seat belts mounted in the seats. It means they are closer to you and the helper arm thingee some cars have is just something to break in my mind. It also debuted on the E31 which is pretty cool for me owning both.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 07:31 PM   #15
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie01se View Post
I did not know this!!!! Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
I like the seat belts mounted in the seats. It means they are closer to you and the helper arm thingee some cars have is just something to break in my mind. It also debuted on the E31 which is pretty cool for me owning both.
Then you must don't have an issue with the seat belt digging into your neck. Unless I have a shirt on that has a collar, or a jacket, coat, or something like a hoodie (again, something that puts some protection around my neck)...that belt just keeps on digging-in that I've gotta manually hold onto it to pull it away. I can't wait til cooler weather comes so that its not an issue. But when I'm wearing a simple T shirt or anything with a crew neck...I can come close to wanting to take a pair of scissors to that belt.

I really need to get one of those seat belt clips to take care of this issue...but I guess I'm being lazy & cheap.

At least this is one redeeming quality of the new 8 series...BMW did anchor the front seat belts to the B pillar in the coupes.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 08:35 PM   #16
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Then you must don't have an issue with the seat belt digging into your neck. Unless I have a shirt on that has a collar, or a jacket, coat, or something like a hoodie (again, something that puts some protection around my neck)...that belt just keeps on digging-in that I've gotta manually hold onto it to pull it away. I can't wait til cooler weather comes so that its not an issue. But when I'm wearing a simple T shirt or anything with a crew neck...I can come close to wanting to take a pair of scissors to that belt.

I really need to get one of those seat belt clips to take care of this issue...but I guess I'm being lazy & cheap.

At least this is one redeeming quality of the new 8 series...BMW did anchor the front seat belts to the B pillar in the coupes.

Haven't noticed it...I pretty much only ever wear t-shirts and am about 5'9", maybe if you're taller than me it could be an issue?
      10-06-2019, 04:41 AM   #17
anglaslt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: RHD X3 M40i + LHD Brabus B63S

Well I certainly agree with many of the points raised by the OP. Yes, having come from MB the BMW cruise without distance control is disappointing. So too is the absence of an automatic boot (trunk) close button and I do miss the rev-matching on downchanges I had on the older M6. If it does rev-match I just don't hear it.

My biggest disappointment though is the range of adjustment on the driver's seat. For me at 5.8 it's just too low even on max height. I understand the arguments for low centre of gravity but I prefer to have a good view ahead. I doubt though anything can be done to improve it.

Having said all that, it's a great car that could have been even better
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 09:49 AM   #18
HeyKC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

Quote:
I've had my F06 for about a month now and here are some things I can't stand. What do you find annoying in the M6? And how have you fixed the issue?
4. No freaking distance control in cruise control *arrghh* -- the 7 series had it a while ago -- hate that it wasn't translated down to the 6's -- they're more EXP!
6. Road noise is really high for the price of this vehicle
9. Oh and this car is a LOVE BUG magnet -- sheesh just want to keep her in the garage for the whole month....

H
Agreed these are some of my biggest complaints. Especially no radar cruise. They didn't have it on any M car though. Something about too restricting on air flow.

Another one of my main complaints is the layout of the buttons on the steering wheel. I would of liked them reversed. And stock paddles are a little small.

Personally I like the seat belt on the seat but as stated I would like tighter bolsters.

# First World Problems....
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 10:43 AM   #19
ExclusiveElectronics
Private
Rep
Drives: M6

I agree with ALL of OPs complaints, I thought i was the only one

The two things I want to add are:

-No option to switch between the radio and bluetooth audio from the steering wheel
-There has not been a bluetooth upgrade for the idrive system for a while so newer phones like the Note 10 don't work properly with the system. The menus don't show up properly and selecting songs from a list using the HUD selects the song under the song you selected. I have a 2016 bmw m6 gran coupe and i even installed the newest software from the bmw website
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #20
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

Is anyone else's windows streaking? As in residue from the material that kisses the windows causing streaking/water marks after the car has been washed? Or after the windows have been raised/lowered fully?

Secondly, is anyone else's rear roller shades getting stuck on the way down? Seems like theres a long piece of plastic that keeps making contact with another part in the mechanism which results in the window roller shade to just be stuck/mid way down...

H
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #21
HeyKC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

Oh man here is one that is silly: I can't see my heads up display with my polarized glasses.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #22
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Quote:

Haha you are spot on about the seatbelt resting uncomfortably at times next to your neck! I was thinking the exact same thing the other day, I’m always unconsciously adjusting it away too! Especially if I’m wearing vee neck tees. I know exactly what you mean. I’m 6’1 so perhaps being taller is a slight ‘disadvantage’ in a 6series
Appreciate 0