BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

02-08-2024, 08:13 AM   #1
SBG
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M6 Convertible, '16 M6 CE

Garage List
Drivetrain Malfunction

Any members here with M6 drivetrain malfunction and willing to share what the issues were and the resolution?
Got a drivetrain malfunction this morning but no error codes. Drove car yesterday and everything was normal.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 09:40 AM   #2
15Geez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Same thing happened to me 6 months ago. I received the malfunction while pulling off at an intersection. Turned the car off, waiting a minutes, and proceeded to drive the car. Oddly, no issues since that happened (knock on wood). I did, however, recently have my spark plugs replaced for piece of mind. Intent to do my injectors and ignition coils next.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 09:55 AM   #3
SBG
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15Geez View Post
Same thing happened to me 6 months ago. I received the malfunction while pulling off at an intersection. Turned the car off, waiting a minutes, and proceeded to drive the car. Oddly, no issues since that happened (knock on wood). I did, however, recently have my spark plugs replaced for piece of mind. Intent to do my injectors and ignition coils next.
Appreciate the feedback. Turned the engine off and on a few times but error still on idrive. Having it towed (luckily this happened in my driveway) to the dealer for diagnosis. Thinking it may be the O2 sensor as I had a battery discharge error ~three weeks ago. I'll update this thread when I get a diagnosis.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 01:08 PM   #4
15Geez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Our cars rely heavily on a solid battery charge. Was you car sitting for a while (2+ weeks) without a trickle charger prior to the drivetrain malfunction? Not sure if the two are related but that's what happened in my case. I usually hook mine up to a charger if I know its going to sit for more than a week...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 08:14 PM   #5
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
I have found that when this happens it can take up to 3 cycles of engine on/off before it resets. My last occurrence I still had the error but as I drove back home it cleared after the key cycling 2 times.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 09:45 PM   #6
SBG
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15Geez View Post
Our cars rely heavily on a solid battery charge. Was you car sitting for a while (2+ weeks) without a trickle charger prior to the drivetrain malfunction? Not sure if the two are related but that's what happened in my case. I usually hook mine up to a charger if I know its going to sit for more than a week...
I made the mistake of letting the car sit for two weeks without a charger. Car is at the dealer now and I hope to get a diagnosis tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 09:47 PM   #7
SBG
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
I have found that when this happens it can take up to 3 cycles of engine on/off before it resets. My last occurrence I still had the error but as I drove back home it cleared after the key cycling 2 times.
I actually did 4 cycles of the engine on and off but the error message didn't go away. Didn't want to risk driving so off to the dealer it went and I expect to get a diagnosis tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2024, 11:30 AM   #8
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
I had this happen once and it went away at a stop sign. I think I power cycled at stop sign too. I ended up changing the dct transfluid (had planned to do that anyway). I havent seen it since.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 10:36 PM   #9
SBG
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdriv3r View Post
I had this happen once and it went away at a stop sign. I think I power cycled at stop sign too. I ended up changing the dct transfluid (had planned to do that anyway). I havent seen it since.
Dealer diagnosed faulty valvetronics which thankfully is covered under warranty. The battery also being replaced since it's "aged" according to the service technician.
Appreciate 1