BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

02-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #67
pearlwhites
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, 06 CTT, 07 A8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb
For $120k range I'd rather get a Porsche GT3.
A gt3 will cost 30k more than the M6 before you look at options...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #68
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judah
@nlpamg- I agree 100%

@MI6- exactly what makes Aston better ?
People that buy Astons couldn't give a rip about maintenance- its all about image and class- same with Bentley.

And no the new M6 is not in the same class....
It's a great car but it's not the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #69
Judah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E46 M3

Actually that's untrue. I know people with both Astons and Bentleys. Quite a few don't like the cost of ownership or maintenance.

However, you didn't answer my question
As far as being in the same class, you bought the comparison to the table not me.

------------------------------------edit below-----------------------------------------

In fact, I recently had a conversation with an associate, (daily drives a Flying Spur) who will be purchasing a 458, (first Ferrari).
Money isn't an issue whatsoever with this person.
One of the main reasons for this purchase is the 7 year unlimited mileage maintenance Ferrari now offers.

Last edited by Judah; 02-15-2012 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #70
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judah
Actually that's untrue. I know people with both Astons and Bentleys. Quite a few don't like the cost of ownership or maintenance.

However, you didn't answer my question
As far as being in the same class, you bought the comparison to the table not me.
You can always find 10 people who will complain about anything. But the truth is you don't buy any of these cars-Astons/Bentleys for reliability- so arguing this point is over for me....
If you know people that are not happy with their Astons, Bentleys, etc. because of reliability than perhaps they should be considering different cars because those Marques have never been about reliability or maintenance.

As to the other point if you actually read my post I mentioned a USED Aston vs an M6 as a comparison- not a new one...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #71
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pquarta1
120K... Nuts. I can't imagine the lease rates on this beast will be good. Residual value will be in the tank. Buying one off-lease = good sense.
You are crazy if you buy one off lease. Buying a used M anything is a bad idea unless you know who owned it and how they drove it. People who buy tend to take care of Ms better than those who lease and it makes sense. Would you drive a car harder if it was leased (aka rented) compared to owning it? Pricing might be great for a 3-4 year old one up front but maybe not long term...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #72
Judah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
You can always find 10 people who will complain about anything. But the truth is you don't buy any of these cars-Astons/Bentleys for reliability- so arguing this point is over for me....
If you know people that are not happy with their Astons, Bentleys, etc. because of reliability than perhaps they should be considering different cars because those Marques have never been about reliability or maintenance.

As to the other point if you actually read my post I mentioned a USED Aston vs an M6 as a comparison- not a new one...

Ok, show me where I wrote they were unhappy with the reliability of their Astons or Bentleys.....
Therefore, I am not arguing and definitely not arguing about unhappy customer reliability.

I only asked you was a simple question about a statement you made that you still haven't answered...
No need for unpleasantries and no need to get mad, I don't mean any hostile disrespect. If you don't want to answer the question than just say so and we move on.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #73
nlpamg
MBWorld Spy
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, F8 Tributo, GR Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawnStar View Post
When I'm about to drop 120k on a whip, I don't look at 'league', I look at Porsche, Maserati and Aston. Only when, or if, I can't quite reach for the 'stars', do I land on the moon (BMW/Benz dealer).

Wrong. 991 Carrera S starts at 96400. Provide a link/factual info to support your statement that M6 'blows it away'.
Do as you will with your money, but $120k isn't buying you much of an Aston or Porsche. I won't even go into Maserati's as I think that while they're great looking, they're garbage.

LOL, have you ever bought a Porsche? Do you know how quickly options add up? Go to the online configurator. PDK alone will set you back $4k. I was at a dealer invite unveiling for the new Carrera S, and all the cars there with options were well over $120k.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #74
nlpamg
MBWorld Spy
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, F8 Tributo, GR Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
People that buy Astons couldn't give a rip about maintenance- its all about image and class- same with Bentley.

And no the new M6 is not in the same class....
It's a great car but it's not the same thing.
wait, they were talking about buying a USED DB9. people that can afford a NEW DB9 or any other Aston that isn't a Vantage probably don't care.

but if you had to wait for the car to drop that much in price, I'm pretty sure you do care.

I'd rather have a new M6 than an four year old Aston. even with the new Astons, the interior and electronics look dated.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #75
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: twin turbo 6 with frunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpamg View Post
Do as you will with your money, but $120k isn't buying you much of an Aston or Porsche. I won't even go into Maserati's as I think that while they're great looking, they're garbage.

LOL, have you ever bought a Porsche? Do you know how quickly options add up? Go to the online configurator. PDK alone will set you back $4k. I was at a dealer invite unveiling for the new Carrera S, and all the cars there with options were well over $120k.
I know a thing or two about configuring a Porsche. The cars you saw at the 991 'VIP' event were all 'launch cars', highly optioned examples of what's available, yet the configurations Porsche sells very few of.

Even at base MSRP of 96400 for the new Carrera S you get a fantastic car with a ton of equipment, a car that is bigger yet lighter, more powerful yet more efficient, with more standard equipment yet less pricey than the car it replaces. To me, that's true engineering prowess and progress. Can the same be said about the new M6? Not to mention Carerra's reasonable cost to own, due to a heavy demand in the used market which drives up resale prices. Anyone considering spending 120k on a car is going to come to a similar conclusion - BMW has been drinking a lot of their own Kool Aid lately.

Last edited by PawnStar; 02-15-2012 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #76
Judah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Honestly, if I was looking for a $96k Carrera S type of car, (non GT sports car) I would buy a GTR first....
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #77
pquarta1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
You are crazy if you buy one off lease. Buying a used M anything is a bad idea unless you know who owned it and how they drove it. People who buy tend to take care of Ms better than those who lease and it makes sense. Would you drive a car harder if it was leased (aka rented) compared to owning it? Pricing might be great for a 3-4 year old one up front but maybe not long term...
You make a good point regarding how it might be driven lease versus buy. If it is CPO, that will alleviate some concern for a few years. However, say I can get one for 50% off original MSRP, or less, after lease, I see no way how even the most horribly maintained and/or hard-driven M6 will cost $60K+ in repairs over, say, even 5 years of ownership. I am a crazy kind of guy!
      02-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #78
Australia
Rep
Drives: 123d coupe

Meanwhile in Australia....you can expect to pay somewhere at least $300k
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #79
funftouring
Just a guy who enjoys BMW's
Rep
Drives: 2003 525it Dinan 5

Just imagine, in 3 years a used M6 with 20,000 miles will cost the same as a used M5, and about 45% of MSRP. That's when I get my F13
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #80
ShawnBoston
Rep
Drives: 2018 McLaren 570S Spider

I think I can bring a moderately unique perspective to this since I drove a 2009 Porsche 911 C4 Cabriolet (997.2, 6MT), extensively tested the 650i (which is how I stumbled into buying the X3 as my new DD! lol)and just (literally, I did it today!) bought a 2011 Aston Martin Vantage Roadster.

Obviously I have never driven the new M6.

All three cars have COMPLETELY different characters.

Porsche = very close to a true sports car with some daily driver pretensions. It got fatiguing on long drives (fairly stiff suspension, lots of tire and exterior noise). The car was super nimble and tossable, you felt everything through the wheel, the seat of your pants, and the stick. My particular car was a total lemon and I'm very happy to be rid of it. In 2009 it was $108k, using the configurator it is now at least $15k more.

BMW = much more of a GT. I assume the M6 Vert will be much stiffer than the 650i but I'm guessing it will never be characterized as nimble. I think it will be freight locomotive powerful and have deep, deep power reserves that will be sure to excite, but I think it will deliver that power in a more reserved manner that is more conducive to soaking up the miles than canyon carving (not that it won't be able to, just that it won't be a scalpel like the Porsche). I'll bet it starts around $115-125 and tops out around 140k.

Aston Martin - blend of GT and sports car. I bought the AMV8 because it is absolutely gorgeous, unique, and offers me a great blend of sporting and GT characteristics. I think the BMW 6 coupe is attractive, the vert much less so. I really liked the looks of my 911, and loved the wide hips of the C4, but it was somewhat common. When spending >100k, common is not something I am all that interested in. Both the M6 and AM satisfy that criteria, the AM more so.

Interestingly, both the M6 and 911s will be faster than my new car . . . does that bum me out? Yes, a tiny bit. But I don't think anyone is buying a AM to win redlight races, I'm well beyond that point in my life. Are AMs overpriced? Quite possibly . . . even as a bespoke, largely hand-build product, I don't see how they can stay competitive when so many marques are bringing so much more firepower and tech to the table . . . for much, much less (the car I purchased had a MSRP of 156k, I bought it for a good deal off of that amount).

Anyway, I hope the above helps drive the point I was trying to make. These cars are not as competitive as their similar prices might suggest. They are for somewhat different drivers and all are good choices . . . if they provide what you are looking for.

I think the M6 is a better compared to the XKR/XKRS (I tested the former, nice but missing a little something) and the Maserati GT, than either the Porsche or AM. My 0.02.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #81
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
That is tough. Starting to get into Aston money. V8 Vantage starts at $120k. Aston's are the most beautiful cars on the planet.
the M6 will drive better than the V8 Vantage all day, the M6 is for BMW people who realize this.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #82
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Pricey, but if depreciation on the last generation is any indication, by yr 2 you can scoop these for cheap.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #83
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

M6 resale value just drops like a rock...but man....it's nice looking car!!
      02-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #84
Fatal Flash
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2/i8/M3 GTS3/335is/KTM390 Cup

Bmw is definitely trying to upgrade their "image" and "value" of their brand after so many quarters of successful sales. If they have the POWER to increase price, and they are STILL selling; so be it.

The cars ARE increasing in quality/finish/engineering, so the increase in price comes as applicable. I'm pretty confident the car will sell like hotcakes in Asia and other markets. It's going to kill. Very unique price point. I would want an M6 over an Aston any day. If you're not self-centered on the image of the vehicle you drive, and you let your automotive passion fuel your purchase decision, you guys know you'd walk away with that M6 if you had the means to do so vs. an entry level AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #85
victorau
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 AW 335i xDrive

This isn't quite the same sort of car... but for that money no one would consider an R8?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #86
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorau View Post
This isn't quite the same sort of car... but for that money no one would consider an R8?
I really like the R8, but I dont think its a close competitor for the M6. The R8 is really, really small as a two seater while the M6 is quite large now, and this new model is really big. R8 is much closer to a true sportscar, while the M6 is a GT.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #87
ShawnBoston
Rep
Drives: 2018 McLaren 570S Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal Flash View Post
I would want an M6 over an Aston any day. If you're not self-centered on the image of the vehicle you drive, and you let your automotive passion fuel your purchase decision, you guys know you'd walk away with that M6 if you had the means to do so vs. an entry level AM.

Let's face it, car purchases at this level are hugely subjective. Luckily, there are an amazing amount of cars that can be bought with $125k, so I'd suspect that there is something out there for everyone.

That said, I have to respectfully challenge the assertion that no 'true' petrolhead would choose an AM over the M6. As I said earlier, the two really aren't comparable - I actually think the $225k AM Virage is a better comparison; the M6 looks like a steal compared to that car).

But, for the sake of comparison, I think it's hard to say that a car that can be had with a very solid 6MT, that weighs 1000llbs less, has a great engine, corners beautifully, and has a gorgeous almost-nascar like exhaust note doesn't push a lot of buttons for any car nut.

Anyway, both the Vantage and the M6 are wonderful vehicles, it's hard to think that any buyer would be unhappy to greet one in their garage.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #88
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

The difference in price between the F10 and F12/F14, and the F10M and F12M does not bode well for the huge price gap that we're likely going to see between the F30 and F32 and the F80 and F82/85.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0

6post.com