BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      10-17-2021, 11:22 AM   #1
Mamoru
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Dim light on electronic gear shift?

Hi.

New 650i owner and have a question: Is there a way to dim the green gear indicator on the gear shift?

At night all the lights in the cabin are low and the bright green indicator light feels like a beacon blinding my eyes. It doesn't but would like to dim it a bit if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Mamoru
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Gotta say that this is a first time I’ve heard of this complaint…but if no one else has a suggestion or recommendation…the cover on the gear shift lever can be pried/popped off.

If you’re referring to the rectangular translucent “dash” next to the D…perhaps you can pop the cover off and tint the window with a sharpie (not sure what color) which would keep that area translucent yet reduce the luminosity from the light emitting from behind the cover. Or perhaps you can just take the tip of a marker and darken the top part of the bulb (if there’s one) below the translucent rectangular area which would dim the bulb.

This idea comes from a trick we used to do back in the e38/e39 era when the front/rear turn indicators where amber…then the clear turn indicators started to become popular. The regulation in the US is for turn indicators to flash amber…so if you swapped from amber turn indicator lenses to clear…you had to buy an amber bulb since the original bulb was clear. You could take a yellow and/or red marker and paint your clear bulb to pass regulation (until the market caught up to sell an amber version of the bulb needed).

You can go to one of the part database sites to get the 11 digit BMW part number for #8 in the diagram below.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      10-18-2021, 11:20 PM   #3
Mamoru
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it.

Just compared to all the other lights in the dark cabin the green just stood out. I was hoping to somehow dim the light somehow like all other lights.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0