BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

09-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #1
ExclusiveElectronics
Private
Rep
Drives: M6

Retrofiting BlindSpot Warning Mirrors

Hey guys,

I have 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe with Active Blind Spot monitoring but the yellow symbol is on the pillar not the actual mirror, is it possible to switch to a mirror one?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Before you can even get to the rewiring of electrical harnesses (which is probably not that difficult for electrical gurus) so that the data that gets sent to the existing warning triangle...gets moved over to the wiring harness that would send the data to the mirrior's harness...WHERE do you get the mirror fabricated to have the warning light embedded that will also fit your BMW's mirror assembly as well as still dim and be heated?

Unless you have the money, time, and expertise (or the people that do)...how bad do you really need to have that warning moved the approx 5"-6" from its current location out to the mirror? Is there a gain for the money/time/effort to do this? Is there even a BMW model that has the blind spot warning in the mirror that could possibly provide a donor mirror?

Just poking around in the BMW TIS...I ran across this info about the Blind Spot (aka Lane Change) warning:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-08-2019 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 08:35 PM   #3
ExclusiveElectronics
Private
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Before you can even get to the rewiring of electrical harnesses (which is probably not that difficult for electrical gurus) so that the data that gets sent to the existing warning triangle...gets moved over to the wiring harness that would send the data to the mirrior's harness...WHERE do you get the mirror fabricated to have the warning light embedded that will also fit your BMW's mirror assembly as well as still dim and be heated?

Unless you have the money, time, and expertise (or the people that do)...how bad do you really need to have that warning moved the approx 5"-6" from its current location out to the mirror? Is there a gain for the money/time/effort to do this? Is there even a BMW model that has the blind spot warning in the mirror that could possibly provide a donor mirror?

Just poking around in the BMW TIS...I ran across this info about the Blind Spot (aka Lane Change) warning:
Wow amazing response, thank you for taking the time out to discuss all that!

So the new BMW 5 series has it embedded into the mirror, i was wondering if it would be possible to take that since its a BMW OEM part and install it to my 2016 M6 and code it
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 10:22 AM   #4
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

lets face it the triangle on the m6 mirror looks nasty, then again the design is several years old now
Appreciate 0