BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-28-2021, 11:52 AM   #1
shipill
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Macan S

why dealing with car salesmen is so frustrating ?

why dealing with cars salesmen people is so frustrating and time consuming ?

I emailed a porsche dealership asked few questions about their auto-trader ad , got a reply from a SA instantly but he did not answer any of my

questions and asked me ... what car are currently driving ? when would you like to come meet me in person at dealership ?

Does it really matter what car I'm driving ? if I drive a honda or a similar brand they wont sell me a porsche ? lol

Last edited by shipill; 10-28-2021 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9701.00
      10-28-2021, 11:55 AM   #2
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

They want your used car so they can under price you to sell it for more.
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2021, 11:59 AM   #3
Mein11
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911, Chevy Colorado

Porsche dealerships seem hit or miss anyways, either great service and communication, or poor (from my experience at least). Plus, if they get you in the door at the dealership, that's probably a better chance for them to close a sale vs. constant back and forth emails that I'm sure they deal with often.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 12:09 PM   #4
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

It's probably their simple way of vetting potential buyers. As shitty as it may sound, yeah, if you're driving a Honda Civic, in their minds you're probably not a legitimate buyer. I'm willing to bet they get tons of people asking about their cars from people that have no intention to actually buy it, but maybe take it out for a spin?
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615209.50
      10-28-2021, 12:13 PM   #5
shipill
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
It's probably their simple way of vetting potential buyers. As shitty as it may sound, yeah, if you're driving a Honda Civic, in their minds you're probably not a legitimate buyer. I'm willing to bet they get tons of people asking about their cars from people that have no intention to actually buy it, but maybe take it out for a spin?
I know what you are saying but I asked about the condition of the car and options. I didn't ask to test drive the car !
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 12:18 PM   #6
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
They probably just answer questions online all day with no bites. They figure if they can get you into the store you'll buy one.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2021, 12:22 PM   #7
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipill View Post
I know what you are saying but I asked about the condition of the car and options. I didn't ask to test drive the car !
Lol, I get it man. I'm just saying that is probably their mindset and it sucks.

Setting aside the BS you got from the guy, would you be interested in a test drive?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 01:05 PM   #8
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

F them all!!!!!
Appreciate 5
      10-28-2021, 01:22 PM   #9
blkbtyM2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Civic Type R

Most email replies are auto generated. First email you receive after an online inquiry will almost always be auto generated.

I usually wait until the second reply and reiterate my questions if they weren't answered. At that point if my questions still aren't answered I'll probably move on.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 01:26 PM   #10
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Simple answer
They are not there to help you and look out for YOUR best interest
They are there for their own best interest
This is why the dealership needs to go away
Imagine working with a factory direct rep who actually enjoys and believes in the product and gives you the right recommendation that meets your needs and not what's he able to make off your purchase
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6048.00
      10-28-2021, 01:30 PM   #11
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
It sounds like they're taught to follow a script.... and they follow that script blindly without any situational awareness.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9701.00
c1pher4671.50
      10-28-2021, 01:32 PM   #12
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
Simple answer
They are not there to help you and look out for YOUR best interest
They are there for their own best interest
This is why the dealership needs to go away
Imagine working with a factory direct rep who actually enjoys and believes in the product and gives you the right recommendation that meets your needs and not what's he able to make off your purchase
Lol. Yeah just imagine ANY company that is not trying to make money off you. You won't find any. Dealerships will not go away. Manufacturers have no interest in selling their products direct. BTW, a good salesperson or rep at a reputable dealership will do what you suggested. Unfortunately there are a lot of bad salespeople and dealerships out there. Good ones exist but you have to do your homework and find them.
Appreciate 1
minn1914021.00
      10-28-2021, 01:50 PM   #13
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Lol. Yeah just imagine ANY company that is not trying to make money off you. You won't find any. Dealerships will not go away. Manufacturers have no interest in selling their products direct. BTW, a good salesperson or rep at a reputable dealership will do what you suggested. Unfortunately there are a lot of bad salespeople and dealerships out there. Good ones exist but you have to do your homework and find them.
Tesla seem to do fine without a dealer network
If the work on commission , they're not there for you
They may be helpful, but the decision is made not in your best interest
Business are there to make money yes, but some are ethical and some are scum bags
Being able to order something and have them ship it to your door will be the next step
Other mfg are starting to see the trend
Ford is trying factory made to order and not keeping huge inventory on lots then having to sell them for a discount
I'd rather give my money to an hourly who's just there to answer questions or even an AI program than deal with scum bag stealership
I've probably bought and leased over 20 cars in my lifetime and have yet to meet a non scum bag sales person
Must be unicorn juice
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 02:05 PM   #14
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbtyM2C View Post
Most email replies are auto generated. First email you receive after an online inquiry will almost always be auto generated.

I usually wait until the second reply and reiterate my questions if they weren't answered. At that point if my questions still aren't answered I'll probably move on.
This. Almost every dealer I contact these days sends a million automated emails. They didn't answer the question because no one even looked at your request. Usually a real person will eventually respond (along with more automated emails). If they are worth anything once a real person responds they should answer the question.

Also they LOVE to try to get you to come in. Old school sales tactics. They believe once you are there they can sell you the car a lot easier (probably true). I tell them I live far away and will come get the car once we finalize a deal. That was in the before times though, no idea what kind of chaos is going on now.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #15
shipill
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Business are there to make money yes, but some are ethical and some are scum bags
Being able to order something and have them ship it to your door will be the next step
Ford is trying factory made to order and not keeping huge inventory on lots then having to sell them for a discount
I'd rather give my money to an hourly who's just there to answer questions or even an AI program than deal with scum bag stealership
I've probably bought and leased over 20 cars in my lifetime and have yet to meet a non scum bag sales person
Must be unicorn juice

Totaly agree with you, 99.99999% of them are scumbags .
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 02:13 PM   #16
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:
why dealing with cars salesmen people is so frustrating and time consuming ?

I emailed a porsche dealership asked few questions about their auto-trader ad , got a reply from a SA instantly but he did not answer any of my

questions and asked me ... what car are currently driving ? when would you like to come meet me in person at dealership ?

Does it really matter what car I'm driving ? if I drive a honda or a similar brand they wont sell me a porsche ? lol
Could've been an automated email.

I'm a salesman and the majority of my customers enjoy working with me. Maybe because I'm not pushy? Idk
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
minn1914021.00
TiMSport12796.50
F30lolz6798.50
      10-28-2021, 02:17 PM   #17
shipill
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaud1998 View Post

I'm a salesman and the majority of my customers enjoy working with me. Maybe becauae I'm not pushy? Idk
come on man im not that stupid lol
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 02:18 PM   #18
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:
come on man im not that stupid lol
We have an automated email that says that exact script...
Appreciate 1
minn1914021.00
      10-28-2021, 02:24 PM   #19
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

ask steve richards
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 02:27 PM   #20
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Must be unicorn juice
Quote:
Totaly agree with you, 99.99999% of them are scumbags .
Lol. Yeah you guys don't seem to have any luck I guess. I've been more lucky and have almost always worked with straight shooters who have been very helpful. If you let them know up front what you want and demonstrate to them you know what you're doing, much of the BS never comes up. At least that has been my experience over many years. I've also lived in cities where there are plenty of choices (aka dealerships) to choose from. I do a bit of research on the vehicle I want (which includes following enthusiast forums) and then the dealer networks and who has a good reputation, etc.

I think that if you do show them you're knowledgeable and you're not rude with them, you'll often times get the same respect in return. This doesn't only apply to the art of buying a car either. If they realize you're not going to bullshit them and go back and forth hundreds of time over tedious stuff, they'll work with you.

Now if you're going by a single inquiry online with a dealership that generates automated responses and you're not willing to go any further, you may not even reach the point of finding the right person to work with. There are ways of finding out which salespeople and even managers are the best based on reviews. If they're serious, they care very much about their online reviews.

I accomplished my most recent BMW purchase almost exclusively online and phone. It was a breeze. Told the guy what I was cross-shopping the car with and that I wanted a test drive. Done! I went there and got to take the car out for a spin by myself. Now THAT doesn't happen often so I was impressed right off the bat with this particular dealer and salesman.
Appreciate 2
Mosaud19983939.00
minn1914021.00
      10-28-2021, 02:30 PM   #21
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:

I'm a salesman and the majority of my customers enjoy working with me. Maybe because I'm not pushy? Idk
Lol. I just posted my response and saw your post. THIS. I told you!
Online reviews matter or should that be "ORM"?
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983939.00
      10-28-2021, 03:31 PM   #22
shipill
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I'm very sorry I dont mean to hurt your feeling but nobody likes a car salesman!
Appreciate 0