BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-28-2021, 09:43 AM   #45
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Idiots. And they are one of those companies telling you it is hard to find good people.

Agreed, the ones that complain the most are usually the worse ones to work for.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 09:51 AM   #46
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
It is startling what mediocrity is being paid, clearly competitors are not really grilling some of these individuals on their skill set because I know for a fact they really struggle with certain aspects of the job and they are being paid a salary where that is not going to be good enough.

Surprised to hear how "employers treat their employees like crap", has that really been the case? Let's forget about the laughable min wage in north america until a few years ago but professionals, were you'all really being treated that badly?

One thing i don't understand, coming from Australia where min wage is much, much, much higher than here, i mean blipping groceries is $25 an hr, why is there not a HUGE delta in prices? If I go to a restaurant here vs back home, it costs about the same but the staff are being paid double back home. Where does the money go here?
I don't know how much food costs in Australia... but doesn't a base 3 series cost like $5 million bucks over there??
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4486.50
      10-28-2021, 09:53 AM   #47
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I don't know how much food costs in Australia... but doesn't a base 3 series cost like $5 million bucks over there??
Yeah cars are expensive, well normal cars are fine but european cars are ridiculous.

But groceries, restaurants etc are the same as here and the wages are damn near double for front line staff.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2021, 09:58 AM   #48
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I'll be at 15 years experience and 5 with my current company in December. They treat us well, pay and RSU's are good, are health benefits are INSANELY good......which is a good thing since my fiancee has an autoimmune disease (also really cool I can have her on my insurance as a domestic partner). And I work from permanently now vs just days per week like we did before the Pandemic.

I've been getting pinged by recruiters a ton lately, but haven't responded to any of them because I like my job, the people I work, and my manager.

Although I was pinged by one today that actually included some salary compensation information and asking for much less experience than I actually have. It would be the potential to raise my base salary by nearly $40k per year (also full-remote). I say base, because basically every time we get a raise at my current company that includes some RSU's.

I'm considering updating the resume and applying just because that's such a huge jump. And I'm not balling out like a lot of you guys, but I already make enough I haven't been getting stimmy checks.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 10:00 AM   #49
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

the biggest problem im seeing in my industry, construction, is there are staffing shortages and labor costs are increasing, but there are still plenty of companies out there that have lower labor costs due to paying less than current market rates. So if you are paying market rates to labor, you are missing out on projects or cutting your OH&P significantly to make up for the labor rate gap.

This is unsustainable for a ton of companies, especially in construction, and will lead to quite a few bigger names closing up shop or doing massive layoffs. With those jobs going away though, the market will correct back down, it just wont be soon enough for everyone.

It makes me glad that I'm not a business owner, and glad that my family sold our business last year before all of this got bad. Our business would not have survived the current labor market, and the person we sold to is struggling.

What I find funny about it all, is a lot of people are both anti big corps and pro massive wage increases. The small businesses cant afford wage increases, but the big corps can and will. This current market is only strengthening big corp's position.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 6
cmyx6go15696.50
vreihen1615230.50
tgrundke314.00
King Rudi13154.00
hubbahubba8809.00
      10-28-2021, 10:04 AM   #50
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I'll be at 15 years experience and 5 with my current company in December. They treat us well, pay and RSU's are good, are health benefits are INSANELY good......which is a good thing since my fiancee has an autoimmune disease (also really cool I can have her on my insurance as a domestic partner). And I work from permanently now vs just days per week like we did before the Pandemic.

I've been getting pinged by recruiters a ton lately, but haven't responded to any of them because I like my job, the people I work, and my manager.

Although I was pinged by one today that actually included some salary compensation information and asking for much less experience than I actually have. It would be the potential to raise my base salary by nearly $40k per year (also full-remote). I say base, because basically every time we get a raise at my current company that includes some RSU's.

I'm considering updating the resume and applying just because that's such a huge jump. And I'm not balling out like a lot of you guys, but I already make enough I haven't been getting stimmy checks.
Same boat. My phone rings several times a day with recruiters trying to lure me away, and offering ridiculous compensation packages to go with it. If i didnt like the company im with and the position im in, i could very easily take a 50-100% increase in pay. Just after the last time i chased money and took a huge pay bump to jump ship, i regretted it the entire time i was there. In my experience, when a company is offering a ton of money to someone to get them to work for them, there is a reason they have to do that.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 3
tgrundke314.00
King Rudi13154.00
      10-28-2021, 10:07 AM   #51
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
the biggest problem im seeing in my industry, construction, is there are staffing shortages and labor costs are increasing, but there are still plenty of companies out there that have lower labor costs due to paying less than current market rates. So if you are paying market rates to labor, you are missing out on projects or cutting your OH&P significantly to make up for the labor rate gap.

This is unsustainable for a ton of companies, especially in construction, and will lead to quite a few bigger names closing up shop or doing massive layoffs. With those jobs going away though, the market will correct back down, it just wont be soon enough for everyone.

It makes me glad that I'm not a business owner, and glad that my family sold our business last year before all of this got bad. Our business would not have survived the current labor market, and the person we sold to is struggling.

What I find funny about it all, is a lot of people are both anti big corps and pro massive wage increases. The small businesses cant afford wage increases, but the big corps can and will. This current market is only strengthening big corp's position.
Yeah see this all the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 10:09 AM   #52
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

I run an office of 80+ agents, focusing on health insurance sales, commission only with a great opportunity to make incredible income. While the whole companies recruiting numbers are down this year, I wouldn't say we have a shortage. What is tough to find is people willing to work for themselves as hard as working for a salary. However, we are still growing at the same rate or more as previous years, enough so we are moving into new markets.
      10-28-2021, 10:14 AM   #53
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
Same boat. My phone rings several times a day with recruiters trying to lure me away, and offering ridiculous compensation packages to go with it. If i didnt like the company im with and the position im in, i could very easily take a 50-100% increase in pay. Just after the last time i chased money and took a huge pay bump to jump ship, i regretted it the entire time i was there. In my experience, when a company is offering a ton of money to someone to get them to work for them, there is a reason they have to do that.
Yeah. Right before this shit show started, I was being recruited by a different cybersecurity company in San Antonio to be their Technical Writing Manager, where I would get to hire my own people and all that stuff. This one is for another Senior Technical Writer position (same title I have now) for a Cybersecurity company based in Palo Alto.

They were going to pay for the move, approx $15-20k increase in pay, etc. But I read a ton of bad reviews online about the company. The hard thing is you don't if it's people just trying to trash a company or if they are legitimate complaints. But the timing wasn't right.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 10:17 AM   #54
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

pretty crazy, I went to best buy for the first time in years last night here and when I walked in I was in shock by the huge line to check out. I needed to pick up something but was not going to stand in line for 30+ min. I asked the guy in line with me he said they only have 2 employees that are working right now!!! I was like for the whole store! He said thats what he was told.

then that same night I went to the grocery store in town and there was only two lanes open and the line was super long.
Same issue, they only had 2 checkers working

Can you really just stay home and make more money then working? I dont understand, I thought all those programs were removed? I am super interested now, Im going to do some research.

crazy times.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615230.50
      10-28-2021, 10:17 AM   #55
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

To me, a lot goes into a decision to move. I have been with the same company 16 years, I have had opportunities to work elsewhere for say 25K more but in reality it is not 25K.

JT takes 50% so we are down to 12.5K off the bat. Then my commute would go from 1 hour PER WEEK to 8 hours, losing time and money on gas and car wear etc. Then i lose my tenure which is very handy if you get turfed, and i lose a lot of the flexibility and grace i get as a loyal employee.

it just wasn't worth the move.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 10:20 AM   #56
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
Can you really just stay home and make more money then working? I dont understand, I thought all those programs were removed? I am super interested now, Im going to do some research.

crazy times.
This is where i get a bit lost, where did all these people go? I mean if they are unhappy and go elsewhere then yeah we would see front line shortages at the shittiest places but it seems to be everywhere.

Now most of these jobs are not careers, they are second income or students so maybe that group has decided to just not work?
Appreciate 2
GOLFFRR10809.50
tgrundke314.00
      10-28-2021, 10:31 AM   #57
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I don't think anyone really knows wtf is going on. I think it's a ridiculously complex system with a million moving parts and when everything got shut down it threw a huge wrench into the system and now it's fucked and no one really understands why or how to fix it.
Appreciate 6
ASAP10156.00
rebekahb3131.50
tgrundke314.00
      10-28-2021, 10:33 AM   #58
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
This is where i get a bit lost, where did all these people go? I mean if they are unhappy and go elsewhere then yeah we would see front line shortages at the shittiest places but it seems to be everywhere.

Now most of these jobs are not careers, they are second income or students so maybe that group has decided to just not work?
my thoughts exactly where are they all and how are they making money to pay bills and buy things?

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2021, 12:06 PM   #59
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
my thoughts exactly where are they all and how are they making money to pay bills and buy things?
OnlyFans.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 2
GOLFFRR10809.50
tgrundke314.00
      10-28-2021, 12:36 PM   #60
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
This is where i get a bit lost, where did all these people go?
The exciting world of gig jobs, where you can set your own hours and be your own boss. Do you see a shortage of Uber, Lyft, DoorDash, et al drivers? Amazon recently opened a last-mile delivery warehouse here, and they do not seem to be hurting for delivery drivers.

OTOH, hundreds of warehouse jobs starting at $20/hour are available at every truck terminal in our area.....
      10-28-2021, 12:37 PM   #61
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah all 3 are struggling here.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 12:45 PM   #62
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Do you see a shortage of Uber, Lyft, DoorDash, et al drivers?
There is a shortage of Uber/Lyft drivers in our city. One of the reasons we stopped going downtown. We could get down there but not get home or there would be a surge due to the shortage of drivers. Last time I flew in we got a cab home because there were no drivers. Couldn't even tell you the last time I took a cab home from the airport.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 12:51 PM   #63
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I think a key driving factor here for everyone is flexibility and free time... very few people these days want to be holed up in an office or some sort of sites - because the reality is that in many cases they don't need to be... corporations want some bizarre control of this...
      10-28-2021, 01:08 PM   #64
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I think a key driving factor here for everyone is flexibility and free time... very few people these days want to be holed up in an office or some sort of sites - because the reality is that in many cases they don't need to be... corporations want some bizarre control of this...
It snowballs when the pressure is on the few employees left behind. When the technician on my team left at my previous employer, the other team members were expected to do their job as well as fill in at those sites where needed, so basically doing more work and longer hours for the same pay.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615230.50
      10-28-2021, 01:44 PM   #65
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Yeah. Right before this shit show started, I was being recruited by a different cybersecurity company in San Antonio to be their Technical Writing Manager, where I would get to hire my own people and all that stuff. This one is for another Senior Technical Writer position (same title I have now) for a Cybersecurity company based in Palo Alto.

They were going to pay for the move, approx $15-20k increase in pay, etc. But I read a ton of bad reviews online about the company. The hard thing is you don't if it's people just trying to trash a company or if they are legitimate complaints. But the timing wasn't right.
A way to check is to see if you can get names of other employees. And then check their Linked In profile to see how long they've been there. A good company will have a lot of workers with many years of service there. My current company is one of those. It's not uncommon to run into a coworker that has been with the company for 10+ years. I also have no desire to move and actually took a $20k/year pay cut to get into this situation where I'm no longer dealing with the BS I had to deal with. Also the company and management have already shown to me that they care about their people. The support they gave me while I went through the train wreck of a divorce I had would be out of the question at my previous employer.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 10:37 PM   #66
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Going to get worse because in large part bad government policies and their bad timing are to blame and they're getting worse.
On point as soon as I blame DC, they do this:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-a...47591?mod=e2tw
Appreciate 0