BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-03-2021, 08:27 AM   #1
Henkan
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83, 650 F12, X3 G01

Cracking clear-coat

The clear-coat over the aluminum trim on the middle panel/center console cover is starting to crack. Has anybody tried to fix this? Other than replacing the whole console part?
Attached Images

Gone: 2002 BMW 330i Convertible E46
2020 BMW X3 Xdrive 30e G01
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 10:13 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I've not seen that before. 90% of our cars have wood, and the wood is covered by a very thick layer of what is basically acrylic. It's hundreds of times thicker than standard clear coat. But that brushed aluminum appears to be coated with something thinner. First thing I would do is look at it under magnification to see what it really is. But assuming it is clear coat, here is what I would try first because it can't hurt. First, pull out the side trim piece to give you some room. Start at the front - its just held with clips that pull straight out. Then go to a hardware store and buy a spray can of clear in the same gloss. I'm guessing satin will work. Shake the can and spray a puddle of it into the can lid or some other suitable container. Take a piece of old cotton t-shirt over the end of your index finger and dip it in the clear - not dripping, but wet. Wipe it on the piece along just where the cracks are and quickly wipe off any excess. The idea is for it to wick into the cracks but to leave little to none in the areas between the cracks. I'm guessing they they will be 80% less visible.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 10:57 AM   #3
Henkan
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83, 650 F12, X3 G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
I've not seen that before. 90% of our cars have wood, and the wood is covered by a very thick layer of what is basically acrylic. It's hundreds of times thicker than standard clear coat. But that brushed aluminum appears to be coated with something thinner. First thing I would do is look at it under magnification to see what it really is. But assuming it is clear coat, here is what I would try first because it can't hurt. First, pull out the side trim piece to give you some room. Start at the front - its just held with clips that pull straight out. Then go to a hardware store and buy a spray can of clear in the same gloss. I'm guessing satin will work. Shake the can and spray a puddle of it into the can lid or some other suitable container. Take a piece of old cotton t-shirt over the end of your index finger and dip it in the clear - not dripping, but wet. Wipe it on the piece along just where the cracks are and quickly wipe off any excess. The idea is for it to wick into the cracks but to leave little to none in the areas between the cracks. I'm guessing they they will be 80% less visible.
That is actually a very good suggestion. I had something similar in mind and was thinking of matte nitrocellulose spray lacquer. That is used when restoring eg old guitars as the lacquer has properties being very thin and hard.
Gone: 2002 BMW 330i Convertible E46
2020 BMW X3 Xdrive 30e G01
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 11:05 AM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkan View Post
That is actually a very good suggestion. I had something similar in mind was thinking of matte nitrocellulose spray lacquer. That is used when restoring eg old guitars as the lacquer has properties being very thin and hard.
That would also work if you have the ability do it or know someone who does. But the question then is how to smooth the cracked area for the overspray. You can't really sand it because any scratch in brush aluminum will be there forever. You'd almost need to strip it very carefully. If you don't, there is the question of whether what is on there now is compatible with something as "hot" as commercial lacquer. It may peel up, at least where the cracks are.
Appreciate 0