BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      05-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #1
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Minor carpark damage...

After coming out of the gym today there were a couple looking at my car. At first I thought they were admiring it so made a quip as I approached along the lines of "you haven't driven into me have you?" to which they replied "no, but someone just did"

They'd seen someone reverse out of a space opposite, into the front of mine. It's scuffed and dented my metal number plate and there's a fair amount of scratches between the kidney drills on the paintwork, it won't buff out as it's rough so will need sanding and painting. Some of the chrome appears to be rubbed off on a number of the grill slats so I think it just caught the grill too.

Not the worst damage ever, but the guy got out, looked at it and drive away without leaving any details with the witnesses so if I can ensure it costs him to repair it, I will. Annoyingly I missed it literally by a minute.

So the witness works at the gym, recognises the guy's face, and while only got a partial plate, they're going to get me the CCTV of the car leaving the carpark so I'll have a full registration. I'm not sure the gym will be allowed to try to give me a name due to GDPR etc. so me getting the drivers name might be more tricky but of course the insurance company could.

Questions for those that have dealt with similar (in the uk only please as I imagine it's different all over):

I've logged it with the police, although I don't have all the details / reg yet I will get a crime number if needed for insurance.

Once I have his reg, should I just pass it onto my insurers and let them deal with it, knowing it will impact my premium as even in non-fault I'll have to declare it on renewal.

The alternative is to find him via his reg and give him the opportunity to pay out of pocket. As he decided to drive away he may try to wriggle out of paying, so insurance with a witness statement seems rock solid, I just don't want my premiums to go up for someone else's issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Actually, looking at Churchill (my insurance) they have the uninsured driver cover, which I assume he is insured but the intent is not to affect no claims etc. if it's not your fault. As long as I get the Reg of the car that did it I should be covered at no cost and no impact to my protected NCD. Whether my premium will still go up on renewal yet to be known, I imagine it will.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 02:47 PM   #3
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 GC

dont think you will be able to claim with no impact, while the claim is outstanding its classed as a fault (yours or not) until settled, even none fault will affect your insurance in the future. I would just pay to get it repainted will be cheaper in the long run, no harm in getting the reg / cctv and confronting the guy, offer him the chance to pay if he wont then you could do a couple of things.

a.) Report to police for leaving the scene of an accident (even low speed he is required to leave details)

b.) erm how to put this.... admire his car when next at the gym ?

Previous:2014 640D GC 383BHP + 733NM, F10 2010 530d 520i (2000), E36 comact 318i, E46 M3, E46 318Ci, X5,
Non BMW: 5x Skyline / GTRs, 5x Supras, 2x Nissan 200sx s14a, lots of other stuff
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 04:15 PM   #4
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

As Mark said, insurers will now class you as a higher risk and your premium will go up. Plus it will count towards the number of incidents you can have until you lose your protected no claims. I'd expect the damage you've suffered, although very frustrating, would be less than your excess. Simply put not worth it.

I'm not sure you can report to police without your insurer being informed so although the offender could end up in court , you'll still be out of pocket.

I'd favour option b. Karma can be a bitch.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago.

Pretty young mother bumped into me at a red light. We pulled over and swapped details - she actually wanted to pay privately which i agreed however once i showed her 3 quotes (about £500) she stopped replying.

Now i've passed it on to insurance.

Yes your premium will go up but at the same time we shouldn't let people get away with it.
Appreciate 0