BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-07-2018, 12:38 AM   #23
Vorpel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Infiniti G35x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas83 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpel View Post
Quote:
trickiest part was the rear trim on the trunk, around the two big bends where the convertible top flips up. if someone knows an easy way to remove those trim pieces that'd be helpful as hell, I want to redo those. also for those interested I had initially bought high gloss black vinyl but after laying the first strip I switched to a matte/satin black. looks way better IMO
Sweet looking ride! Love your red calipers! Are you thinking of smoking (tinting) your headlights?
thanks man. on the lights I'm gonna leave them as-is, not much of a fan on tinted head lights, but haven't seen them on a 650 before. the only thing left in chrome is the exhaust tips, might powder coat them at some point
I'm getting mine done in about a week. If I don't like them, I'll just pull the film off. This picture is what motivated me to try... (Different model, but great look)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 03:14 AM   #24
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 GC

Liking the black trim, car looks great
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #25
JamieTailor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 640D GC

Quote:
door handles stayed on, side markers and front trim pieces I removed. they come off easy as hell. didn't try and remove door handles since a simple oval shape.
Awesome I got the wrap just need to do it 😂 did you use any tools to take indicators off? Any tips?

Also spacers look great have you lowered it at all?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 10:14 AM   #26
Texas83
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 650i Convertible F12

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieTailor View Post
Quote:
door handles stayed on, side markers and front trim pieces I removed. they come off easy as hell. didn't try and remove door handles since a simple oval shape.
Awesome I got the wrap just need to do it did you use any tools to take indicators off? Any tips?

Tools I recommend:
exacto knife with plenty of blades
razor knife and lots of razors
heat gun
trim removal tool set (look on Amazon they're bright orange and about $10)

the trim removal kit is really cheap on AliExpress and I always order those things months in advance. plastic trim removal pieces won't scratch paint or trim. when removing trim just be patient, don't yank or you'll end up breaking the clips off. none of those pieces require screw removal, they all are fastened with clips. keep changing your razor blades frequently, avoid doing cuts against the trim as it will scratch the chrome underneath. it takes about a day or two for vinyl to acclimate so if you stretch a piece to make it fit a bend, don't be surprised if a day later you find wrinkles at bend. best bet is to avoid stretching vinyl wrap and instead cut it to fit without stretching. for the corners I ending up cutting out a template using cardboard and then used that to cut vinyl wrap without being on the car. also be sure to clean all trim before application with rubbing alcohol, any dirt or flecks of dust will be visible under vinyl so work in a clean space without wind, I did mine in my garage. if you find any minute air bubbles, I used an empty insulin syringe to poke a tiny hole in them and smoothed it out with my finger. insulin syringe is such a tiny, fine point needle that after smoothing it out you can't seen the hole at all. always try and use one continuous long piece of vinyl rather than multiple pieces joined together. the seams are barely noticeable if you use multiple pieces but looks cleaner with continuous vinyl.

rambled on from my phone on this, hope it helps. feel free to post up questions and I'll try and answer. this is not a difficult project, just allocate time to do a few sections at a time over the course of a week and it'll come out great
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #27
Texas83
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Awesome I got the wrap just need to do it did you use any tools to take indicators off? Any tips?

my car isn't lowered and I don't intend on doing it, too used to a comfortable ride with stock springs and I remember feeling every single bump on past cars that were dropped. the tinted headlights look cool on the white beamer, I think on black it'd end up looking odd and a little too racer for me. I love the angel eyes Halo on BMWs too
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #28
Texas83
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

almost forgot, use automotive masking tape to tape off all the edges on your car. it's not 100% necessary but probably saved me from 2 or 3 scratches on my paint.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #29
JamieTailor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 640D GC

Quote:
almost forgot, use automotive masking tape to tape off all the edges on your car. it's not 100% necessary but probably saved me from 2 or 3 scratches on my paint.
You're a absolute legend. I'm gonna shoot my shot.
Appreciate 1
Texas8315.00
      10-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #30
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 650i (F12)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it. For the exhaust, those are just the stock tips and I welded a polished steel bar down the center. Again I like to keep things as stock as possible but can't help but tinker around.

Also added the trim moulding between exhaust pipes and the diffuser fins beneath the rear bumper.
Strange... but this too caught my eye. I am not a "modder" and prefer high-end stock anything... BUT, Love this little touch.

Do you have a drawing or material specs for doing this? I happen to have a couple dozen aerospace/nuke-coded welders that could surely hook me up with a few tacks!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #31
Texas83
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightAero View Post
Quote:
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it. For the exhaust, those are just the stock tips and I welded a polished steel bar down the center. Again I like to keep things as stock as possible but can't help but tinker around.

Also added the trim moulding between exhaust pipes and the diffuser fins beneath the rear bumper.
Strange... but this too caught my eye. I am not a "modder" and prefer high-end stock anything... BUT, Love this little touch.

Do you have a drawing or material specs for doing this? I happen to have a couple dozen aerospace/nuke-coded welders that could surely hook me up with a few tacks!
Trust me, the exhaust modification I did is probably my favorite mod and I figured it out one morning in my kitchen drinking coffee, and spent a total of $3. I looked at all sorts of aftermarket tips but I was hell-bent on leaving stock bumper. Will get measurements tomorrow and post up for you, in the meantime here are some more pics to shed some light on it. I found inspiration from similar tips and similar cars
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 07:37 PM   #32
Texas83
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightAero View Post
Quote:

And believe it or not I just used a stainless steel cabinet drawer handle from my kitchen cabinets, used an angle grinder with a fine blade to cut in half, then some light soldiering and metal epoxy putty to solidify it. IMO came out better than if I had actually purchased new tips. I tinkered around with thinner and thicker bars but this size was my favorite.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-10-2018, 12:44 AM   #33
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Quote:
And believe it or not I just used a stainless steel cabinet drawer handle from my kitchen cabinets, used an angle grinder with a fine blade to cut in half, then some light soldiering and metal epoxy putty to solidify it. IMO came out better than if I had actually purchased new tips. I tinkered around with thinner and thicker bars but this size was my favorite.
that was f-in amazing job and creative as all hell.. much props. I can say that on theses cars, a drop with H&R springs doesn't affect the comfort as much as one would think. Granted you change the spring rate its going to be different..but really with theses, you get a decent drop and very nice comfort. Well worth looking into, we can meet up somewhere one day and you can ride in mine if you want to experience...
Appreciate 1
Texas8315.00
      10-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #34
Texas83
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just got around to measuring it. The handle bar is 6" wide total, and I was able to make both pieces from one bar, so approximately 2.75" tall each. I made them just a little taller than exhaust tip height so there would be some tension in them being held in place. Buy some epoxy metal putty, it's about $5 and resists up to 500° F heat. The bar I used was right at 10mm diameter. lmk if more questions or pics needed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1