BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #23
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, e39 m5, f80 m3 CS

I get about the same MPG as you, it isn't bad at all.

Doesn't the xDrive sit a bit higher than the RWD model? The car is low, wide, and long. Very difficult to park compared to SUV's because they can clear curbs.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #24
Niklas
Private
Rep
Drives: San Marino M6

A beautiful machine sir!
Love the colour combo and its just top notch
Did you get the wheels matt or gloss black?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #25
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMG640 View Post
I get about the same MPG as you, it isn't bad at all.

Doesn't the xDrive sit a bit higher than the RWD model? The car is low, wide, and long. Very difficult to park compared to SUV's because they can clear curbs.
mpg difference of xDrive and RWD is 2mpg. I would rather have a RWD, but I'm now addicted to the hydraulic steering feel. Having two choose 2 though, I would take RWD.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #26
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niklas View Post
A beautiful machine sir!
Love the colour combo and its just top notch
Did you get the wheels matt or gloss black?
Wheels are matt (but looks semi-gloss). The dealership sent it out for powder coating, so I bought the car as is.

I know we can use use the H&R springs from the F10 535 xDrive. Anyone know if they're going to make coil overs for our xDrive cars yet? H&R springs are great, but rather have KW Suspension... The wheel gap is bothering me.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #27
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

I'll add in my two cents - do note I have the 650 with 20s..so my thoughts are a little different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Thanks for the compliment guys. I will post more photos soon. After 1,000 miles logged on it, here are my impressions on the 2014 640i GC mSport xDrive:
- You get a lot of attention driving around. It turns head while driving and while parked, people are snapping photos. (I love it)
Yea, still getting used to this part. I think I like it - but I'll never be able to sneak into anywhere again without being noticed

Quote:
- Suspension is just right, this is how all BMW suspension should feel like. It's stiff, but soft enough to be comfortable.
- Steering is extremely responsive. The xDrive still offers the hydraulic steering, which gives a bit more feel the road.
- You can feel the weight of the vehicle, but it does hide its weight very well. It is just as agile as a 5.
With the 20s, the suspension is not what I would want - I suspect your 19s are perfect. I do agree with the steering - but as for the 650, I can honestly say, you feel every stinking pound of this huge vehicle.

Quote:
- Power of the N55HP is just right. I would imagine that the 640 would feel underpowered, but I was wrong. It has the same HP to weight ratio as a 535, since BMW up the power of the N55 to counter the weight difference.
- Fuel Economy is ok. In Comfort mode, I get an average of 21.5mpg (which is the same as my 750LI in normal mode). In Eco Pro mode, I got it up to 34mpg on the highway. However, I cannot leave it in Eco unless I'm in cruise control for more than 30min. Eco Mode makes your BMW feels like a Prius, blah...
I suspect the lighter weight of the 640 really helps here. The 650 is only really responsive in sport mode - otherwise as Motor Trend says - it is more of a highway cruiser.

Quote:
- Features and Comfort are great. I really thought the new screen sticking out would look ridiculous, but the it is actually very nice (large and crisp). The digital dash is amazing, no glare and works just like the analogs. Seating is comfortable. I'm just missing the top view cam, which I do wish I had. The door of the GC is a bit small, if you're a taller guy just get a 2 door. They shrunk the front doors, added 6inch to fit the rear doors. It would be really awkward getting out if you're 6ft tall. Plus, this car sits really low which doesn't help either. I'm under 6ft so no complaints here.
Top view cam? You mean the one where you can see the front of the car too? Or the one that shows the sides and trunk? I would think you have that no? I don't have much trouble getting in and out at 6' 1" but the car is low (as you note). I'm also surprised you find the seating comfortable. Mine is hard as a rock. I would expect it to be night and day from your 750 which is even more interesting!

Quote:
Overall, the 6 GC is a work of art and it drives beautifully. It's for those who appreciate cars and appreciate how a car should drive I'm really glad I switched from a 750Li to this car. Hope this is helpful for those who are still considering.
It is a beautiful car for sure. I also agree it drives the best of the large BMWs - at least compared to the other 5-series I have test driven.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #28
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Good to hear you insight, Doug. It took me a while to dial in the seat setting. It's no 7, but ergonomic in deed. I will report more in a few months, so far so good. The LED headlights are awesome, they're uber bright with the LED fogs...

I had to opt out the following options to justify the payment: 360 view cam, lane departure, blind spot, night vision, and active seats. I got everything else (no B&O, I can't hear the difference compared to Harmon Kardon).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #29
wolfverine
Private
Rep
Drives: iX 40 MSprt; X6 40i; 640iGC

Nice . Can I know if the black kidney grill is glossy or matt? Are they original or OEM?

Quote:
Hello 6'ers. After drooling over the F06 for over a year, I decided to trade my 2012 750Li for a new 640xi Gran Coupe. mSport, Cold Weather, Lighting, and Executive Packages. I can't say many times before that I was in love with a car, but I can't stop staring at her in the garage.

I was deciding between a Tesla 85 and Panamera S. I made the right choice staying with BMW. This is my 6th BMW in 5yrs... I do sometimes wish I've never bought my first BMW as it is a curse, nothing else drives like a BMW to me. It is my addiction to keep buying BMWs and I can't help myself. I guess we all could have worse habits.

Enjoy the teaser photos.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #30
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfverine View Post
Nice . Can I know if the black kidney grill is glossy or matt? Are they original or OEM?
Thanks, Gloss Black Grill. OEM M Performance grill. I would do glossy black grill unless you have a black car, then do matt black for contrast.

http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #31
x6Hawkeye
911 TTS Cab
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol
Thanks for the compliment guys. I will post more photos soon. After 1,000 miles logged on it, here are my impressions on the 2014 640i GC mSport xDrive:
- You get a lot of attention driving around. It turns head while driving and while parked, people are snapping photos. (I love it)
- Suspension is just right, this is how all BMW suspension should feel like. It's stiff, but soft enough to be comfortable.
- Steering is extremely responsive. The xDrive still offers the hydraulic steering, which gives a bit more feel the road.
- You can feel the weight of the vehicle, but it does hide its weight very well. It is just as agile as a 5.
- Power of the N55HP is just right. I would imagine that the 640 would feel underpowered, but I was wrong. It has the same HP to weight ratio as a 535, since BMW up the power of the N55 to counter the weight difference.
- Fuel Economy is ok. In Comfort mode, I get an average of 21.5mpg (which is the same as my 750LI in normal mode). In Eco Pro mode, I got it up to 34mpg on the highway. However, I cannot leave it in Eco unless I'm in cruise control for more than 30min. Eco Mode makes your BMW feels like a Prius, blah...
- Features and Comfort are great. I really thought the new screen sticking out would look ridiculous, but the it is actually very nice (large and crisp). The digital dash is amazing, no glare and works just like the analogs. Seating is comfortable. I'm just missing the top view cam, which I do wish I had. The door of the GC is a bit small, if you're a taller guy just get a 2 door. They shrunk the front doors, added 6inch to fit the rear doors. It would be really awkward getting out if you're 6ft tall. Plus, this car sits really low which doesn't help either. I'm under 6ft so no complaints here.

Overall, the 6 GC is a work of art and it drives beautifully. It's for those who appreciate cars and appreciate how a car should drive I'm really glad I switched from a 750Li to this car. Hope this is helpful for those who are still considering.

Warning: This car is very low out of the box. If your wife curve check a few of your cars in the past, never let her drive it. The bumper and body are lower than all the curves, there's no warning plastic feelers to help her understand that she's hitting the curve. Paint work will be required if you're not careful.
Congrats, beautiful car!

Regarding size of the doors, I'm 6'4" and don't have any issues.

Always look forward to my drive to and from the office!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #32
wolfverine
Private
Rep
Drives: iX 40 MSprt; X6 40i; 640iGC

Thanks; might go with the glossy black rim with matt black double slates...

Quote:
Thanks, Gloss Black Grill. OEM M Performance grill. I would do glossy black grill unless you have a black car, then do matt black for contrast.

http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #33
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6Hawkeye View Post
Congrats, beautiful car!

Regarding size of the doors, I'm 6'4" and don't have any issues.

Always look forward to my drive to and from the office!
Good to know. I guess I came from a 750LI so my perception is a bit different. When I open the door from the inside in a 7, I use my fingers to pull the handle and my elbow to push the door out. I can't do that with a 6GC, it's a bit awkward. Next time, do notice that the door seems a bit too short.

Anywho, it's just a minor trade-off for a beautiful car. Friends of mine who own Ferraris and Lambos have worst complaints (blind zone / low visibility / harsh ride / Loud / etc.)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #34
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfverine View Post
Thanks; might go with the glossy black rim with matt black double slates...
Awesome, post up some pictures once you do.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #35
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep

Can you post more pics of your car? I want to see if I want to get my OEM wheels painted black.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #36
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can you post more pics of your car? I want to see if I want to get my OEM wheels painted black.
Here's a higher quality image.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #37
363ny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Beautiful - the black wheels with the black grill and black window trim looks great together.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #38
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 11:47 PM   #39
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep

Found this:

Think they look nice gloss black, but would I have any issues when I turn it back in?

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #40
C's Bimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 GC,'08 M5,'14 958 GTS

Love it! Welcome to the GC family! I have an Imola Red in my garage too and absolutely love it. Congrats and enjoy!

Current Garage:
*2015 Singapore Grey F06 M6 Gran Coupe (The Beast)
*2014 Black Cayenne GTS 958 (Wife & Kids Beast)
*2008 Imola Red E60 M5 (My Other Beast)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #41
Palomequet
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
Opinion

Quote:
Found this:

Think they look nice gloss black, but would I have any issues when I turn it back in?

Yes it's practically impossible to have back the original forged finish. I don't do it. If you are curious you can use plastidip it would be enough for some time, hose off with water pressure and get back the original finish with no damage.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #42
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palomequet View Post
Yes it's practically impossible to have back the original forged finish. I don't do it. If you are curious you can use plastidip it would be enough for some time, hose off with water pressure and get back the original finish with no damage.
+1. Try plastidip first. If you hate it, you can peel it off. However, Plastidip isn't a long term solution for wheels. When you park a car with plastidip wheels while it's raining, one spot will will be wet (adding extra weight to one spot). When you drive it, it will feel like your wheels are out of balance (vibration). This is a known issue, unless you clear it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #43
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 363ny View Post
Beautiful - the black wheels with the black grill and black window trim looks great together.
Appreciate the feedback. I'm still not used to the head turns when I pull up..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 05:54 AM   #44
Chief F1 Fan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650i xDrive Gran Coupe, 335xi

Quote:
When you park a car with plastidip wheels while it's raining, one spot will will be wet (adding extra weight to one spot). When you drive it, it will feel like your wheels are out of balance (vibration). This is a known issue, unless you clear it.
Thanks for the heads up. That's a deal killer for me unless the dip can be cleared without making it look shiny.
2023 911 Carrera S 7 Spd. ordered
Appreciate 0