BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

05-04-2020, 10:16 PM   #67
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Instead of slapping 35 different ///M badges on most of the fleet, why not develop a large displacement naturally aspirated motor and get back to the beginning principles of the ///M division?

Else it's off to the Porsche GT division!
Because it makes no business sense with the market BMW is targeting...

Now take a look at Lotus to go back to the essence of the previous Ms. But you also have to accept the higher cost and reliability/quality issues that comes with it.

And I think most people would gladly jump to Porsche if it can deliver at a reasonable (read: BMW) price range. If you have the funds and are willing to pay the Porsche tax, than I would encourage you to run and not walk to the Porsche GT department. Taking relative cost aside, they do offer better driving experience than BMW.
People that can go P-Car usually do so without announcing what they would do. They tend to be more action rather than verbiage.......verbiage about changes they hope BMW will make to keep them as a customer, but won't happen. Posturing at its finest.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
      05-04-2020, 10:21 PM   #68
nis270r
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine_surf View Post
I'm sorry but 50% of BMW's now wear an ///M badge????

I knew they are watering the ///M brand down but 50% is ridiculous. Worse part 90% of the population doesn't know the difference between an M3 and a m sport package.

I really miss the days of one or two flavors, limited colors and knowing you had the best because it had the badge...
I agree 100%, someone from the BMW North America or BMW CCA needs to write and tell them to stop watering down the M logo and identity, you dont need to stick an M badge on every other damn car to make a sale. X3/4/6 M are such nonsense, one M SUV is plenty enough in the lineup. M340i/550i/850i.... we can go on and on
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 10:28 PM   #69
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nis270r View Post
Quote:

I knew they are watering the ///M brand down but 50% is ridiculous. Worse part 90% of the population doesn't know the difference between an M3 and a m sport package.

I really miss the days of one or two flavors, limited colors and knowing you had the best because it had the badge...
I agree 100%, someone from the BMW North America or BMW CCA needs to write and tell them to stop watering down the M logo and identity, you dont need to stick an M badge on every other damn car to make a sale. X3/4/6 M are such nonsense, one M SUV is plenty enough in the lineup. M340i/550i/850i.... we can go on and on
Most diehards would agree, but BMW markets to more than diehards. I, too, miss the simple days: M3/M5/M6. That's it!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 12:21 AM   #70
vasi_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ex- 2015 M3... now '16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
+1

People don't realize how hard it is to decrease weight in a modern car, while keeping the cost reasonable for its target demographic. Sure, the M2 could be made out of carbon fiber, but the cost and maintenance will be astronomical.

Not to mention all the new safety features, which not only includes the electronics, but also the various structural components that absorb the force and crumples in the predicted manner.

If you want lightness, look at the great ND Miata. But also know it compromises on pure power, not to mention how skinny the tires are. One key reason Mazda designers did not want to increase power is due to weight. In fact, the Japanese Mazda designers actually wanted the 1.5L to be standard, instead of adding a 2.0L. And lastly, look at the interior quality of the Miata. To get the weight down, the materials cannot be compared in terms of luxury feel of a BMW (read: not saying Miata quantity is poor).

I'm being optimist and hope even if BMW could get the next gen to 3400 - 3500 lbs, that would be a miracle.
If Porsche and Lotus can make 3000-3100 lbs cars with the build quality and all the safety tech required today I don’t see why BMW can’t do it. What happened to their carbon plastic products used in the i3 which starts at under 3000 lbs.

I realize it’s not as easy today to make the cars lighter but it’s not impossible. When you charge $140k for an M4 GTS and all you do is trim a few pounds and slap a roll cage and big wing you get an undesirable product. You either stay true to an ethos or you don’t and I think BMW is walking away from it. On a side note I did drive the new M340 and it felt more fun to drive than the M5 and M2 comp, an everyday car that felt very agile.
Appreciate 2
x3mcomp175.00
stein_325i25051.00
      05-05-2020, 12:35 AM   #71
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasi_M3 View Post
Quote:
+1

People don't realize how hard it is to decrease weight in a modern car, while keeping the cost reasonable for its target demographic. Sure, the M2 could be made out of carbon fiber, but the cost and maintenance will be astronomical.

Not to mention all the new safety features, which not only includes the electronics, but also the various structural components that absorb the force and crumples in the predicted manner.

If you want lightness, look at the great ND Miata. But also know it compromises on pure power, not to mention how skinny the tires are. One key reason Mazda designers did not want to increase power is due to weight. In fact, the Japanese Mazda designers actually wanted the 1.5L to be standard, instead of adding a 2.0L. And lastly, look at the interior quality of the Miata. To get the weight down, the materials cannot be compared in terms of luxury feel of a BMW (read: not saying Miata quantity is poor).

I'm being optimist and hope even if BMW could get the next gen to 3400 - 3500 lbs, that would be a miracle.
If Porsche and Lotus can make 3000-3100 lbs cars with the build quality and all the safety tech required today I don't see why BMW can't do it. What happened to their carbon plastic products used in the i3 which starts at under 3000 lbs.

I realize it's not as easy today to make the cars lighter but it's not impossible. When you charge $140k for an M4 GTS and all you do is trim a few pounds and slap a roll cage and big wing you get an undesirable product. You either stay true to an ethos or you don't and I think BMW is walking away from it. On a side note I did drive the new M340 and it felt more fun to drive than the M5 and M2 comp, an everyday car that felt very agile.
Did you read what I posted earlier? A GT3 is 3200 lbs.; a GT4 is 3000 pounds. There's NO UTILITY in either car. Porsche sells those cars at a low volume; they are a niche car company. BMW IS NOT. BMW cannot produce a passenger car at GT4 weight, and surely not without charging Porsche prices or beyond. You are high!

If a Lotus worked for you, you'd already be driving one. If a Porsche worked for you, you'd be driving one of those too.
Appreciate 2
JCZ51482.50
Poochie9099.00
      05-05-2020, 12:56 AM   #72
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I'm still unable to accept the reality that BMW is no longer the automaker that I fell in love with. I still like to consider myself a fan, but not in the way I used to. BMW continually shows how tone deaf they are.

There have been a couple things that really broke my heart. One is when they said in a C&D interview that their customers do not want heavy power steering that responds to the road surface. The second was more recent when one of the suits said we should stop romanticizing the E46 M3 and should accept the G20 for being a high speed cruiser that's totally isolated from the road.

Statements like these are proof of a fundamental change in the automaker's identity and priorities. Yes their products are as fast as ever, but they've lost that special character that defined them for generations. Modern BMWs don't feel all that different to drive than Mercs and Audis. The good old days are gone forever.
Appreciate 5
drgmt984.50
stein_325i25051.00
AD18347.50
Biginboca3759.50
      05-05-2020, 01:05 AM   #73
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I'm still unable to accept the reality that BMW is no longer the automaker that I fell in love with. I still like to consider myself a fan, but not in the way I used to. BMW continually shows how tone deaf they are.

There have been a couple things that really broke my heart. One is when they said in a C&D interview that their customers do not want heavy power steering that responds to the road surface. The second was more recent when one of the suits said we should stop romanticizing the E46 M3 and should accept the G20 for being a high speed cruiser that's totally isolated from the road.

Statements like these are proof of a fundamental change in the automaker's identity and priorities. The good old days are gone forever.
Well name a better car in the segment. Surely not Audi. The Mercedes cars are okay, but the unadaptable-stuck-in-nostalgia Mercedes crowd sounds just like the unadaptable-stuck-in-nostalgia BMW crowd, so I suppose you guys could swap. Good luck with your manual transmission choice over there (...if you're an MT guy). Mercedes and Audi ditched MT lovers a long time ago.

FWIW, BMW isn't tone deaf at all. They've responded to provide products to their NEW customer base and they have responded to the complaints from their OLD/CURRENT customer base. Blame the buyers, not BMW. At the end of the day they must sell cars. The enthusiast is a small percentage of the community.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 01:14 AM   #74
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Well name a better car in the segment. Surely not Audi. The Mercedes cars are okay, but the unadaptable-stuck-in-nostalgia Mercedes crowd sounds just like the unadaptable-stuck-in-nostalgia BMW crowd, so I suppose you guys could swap. Good luck with your manual transmission choice over there (...if you're an MT guy). Mercedes and Audi ditched MT lovers a long time ago.

FWIW, BMW isn't tone deaf at all. They've responded to provide products to their NEW customer base and they have responded to the complaints from their OLD/CURRENT customer base. Blame the buyers, not BMW. At the end of the day they must sell cars. The enthusiast is a small percentage of the community.
You sound like that one Browns or Lions fan who constantly feels the need to defend the organization's front office and ownership no matter how much they screw things up. Sure BMW is a notch above most competitors in driving dynamics, but that unquestionable advantage and distinctive character is no longer present. BMW's decisions over this past decade are certainly smart from a business-standpoint, but that doesn't mean i have to like those decisions.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      05-05-2020, 01:16 AM   #75
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You sound like that one Browns or Lions fan who constantly feels the need to defend the organization's front office and ownership no matter how much they screw things up. Sure BMW is a notch above most competitors in driving dynamics, but the clear distinction is not what it used to be. BMW's decisions over this past decade are smart business choices, but I don't have to like those decisions.
No, I just look at the big picture absent emotion. I also have been around a really long time. I remember the complaints over the last two decades. BMW's response falls directly in line with those complaints. You see it as a screw up. I see it a company that has to change to stay in business and to bring new customers to the brand. They cannot rely on old business. We are better off WITH a BMW than without.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 01:19 AM   #76
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Quote:

Statements like these are proof of a fundamental change in the automaker's identity and priorities. The good old days are gone forever.

No ones arguing they need to sell cars.

My point is there will be little difference now between an RS5 and the new M3/M4 and C63 for that matter.

In many ways the M4CS will be the last of its kind and I'll be holding onto it for a long time. It's a wild rear wheel spinning car with a DCT that does what I want when I want.

I can't see anything that excites me about the new M3/M4 as it has become no different to every other car in its segment.

Let's face it Audi does better interiors and Mercedes better exhaust notes - so why pick a BMW with a grill bigger than Antarctica that does much the same driving wise? Because it's a BMW?

I'm sure that doesn't matter to BMW or you just expressing an opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 01:20 AM   #77
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, I can't just look at the big picture absent emotion. I also have been around a really long time. I remember the complaints over the last two decades. BMW's response falls directly in line with those complainants. You see it as a screw up. I see it a company that has to change to stay in business and to bring new customers to the brand. They cannot rely on old business. We are better off WITH a BMW than without.
Of course they need to adapt with the shift in consumer tastes, but they went overboard. When supposed driver-oriented models like the 2/3/4-series and Z4 have been getting lukewarm reviews since 2012 you know something is very wrong.

We can agree to disagree, it is what it is. What I know for a fact is that driving an E9X side-by-side with an F30 or G20 is a depressing experience.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      05-05-2020, 01:21 AM   #78
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
Quote:
Quote:

No ones arguing they need to sell cars.

My point is there will be little difference now between an RS5 and the new M3/M4 and C63 for that matter.

In many ways the M4CS will be the last of its kind and I'll be holding onto it for a long time. It's a wild rear wheel spinning car with a DCT that does what I want when I want.

I can't see anything that excites me about the new M3/M4 as it has become no different to every other car in its segment.

Let's face it Audi does better interiors and Mercedes better exhaust notes - so why pick a BMW with a grill bigger than Antarctica that does much the same driving wise? Because it's a BMW?

I'm sure that doesn't matter to BMW or you just expressing an opinion.
There have always been only marginal differences between the RS5, C63 and M3. What was deemed better depended on personal preference. From a performance aspect they always split hairs.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 01:22 AM   #79
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No, I can't just look at the big picture absent emotion. I also have been around a really long time. I remember the complaints over the last two decades. BMW's response falls directly in line with those complainants. You see it as a screw up. I see it a company that has to change to stay in business and to bring new customers to the brand. They cannot rely on old business. We are better off WITH a BMW than without.
Of course they need to adapt with the shift in consumer tastes, but they went overboard. When supposed driver-oriented models like the 2/3/4-series and Z4 have been getting lukewarm reviews since 2009 you know something is very wrong.
Their sales numbers paint a very different picture.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 01:25 AM   #80
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Their sales numbers paint a very different picture.
So to you the ends justify the means. We have a very fundamental difference in our priorities for the brand.

I could care less about how many cars they sell. BMW has become too big for its own good. They are trying to be everything to everybody and as a result we have a classic case of brand dilution.

Of course if BMW did not attempt to expand their consumer outreach they may have not survived, after all they are an independent group unlike say Audi who has billions on tap from their parent company. However I maintain that BMW has gone totally overboard in these attempts to capture marketshare.
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25051.00
AD18347.50
Poochie9099.00
      05-05-2020, 01:25 AM   #81
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Driving the current M3 and C63 on a twisty
backroad and they are worlds apart.

BMW will only succeed to draw closer to the competition and not in a good way.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 01:27 AM   #82
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:

...and some feel the complete opposite. Just go ask the Mercedes guys who prefer the C63 to the M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 01:29 AM   #83
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

...and some feel the complete opposite. Just go ask the Mercedes guys who prefer the C63 to the M3.
Sure.

But the buyers want different things. That's my point.

Companies are foolish to betray their ethos. Short term gain long term pain.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 01:33 AM   #84
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sure.

Their ethos has been fluid for over 20 years. It has never remained static.

At the end of the day, if your girlfriend changes too much for your liking (...and you haven't grown with her), break up with her and find a new one. There are plenty of other women out there.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      05-05-2020, 01:35 AM   #85
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sure.

Their ethos has been fluid for over 20 years. It has never remained static.

At the end of the day, if your girlfriend changes too much for your liking (...and you haven't grown with her), break up with her and find a new one. There are plenty of other women out there.
That's what will happen.

Finally we agree on something.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      05-05-2020, 02:50 AM   #86
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Did you read what I posted earlier? A GT3 is 3200 lbs.; a GT4 is 3000 pounds. There's NO UTILITY in either car. Porsche sells those cars are low volume; they are a niche car company. BMW IS NOT. BMW cannot produce a passenger car at GT4 weight, and surely not without charging Porsche prices or beyond. You are high!

If a Lotus worked for you, you'd already be driving one. If a Porsche worked for you, you'd be driving one of those too.
the lightest 2 cars that bmw still makes is well sadly ... the supra.

And that is still 3400 lbs for the i-6 and 3200 for the i4.

They are more than liveable though, so I guess if they really had to they could do it. I'd guess if they made the supra chassis smaller so it couldn't fit an i-6, made the B48 put out say 350+ hp, it probably wouldn't be insane to think it could get down to 3000-3100 lbs. Just make it some sort of e30 m3 throwback car.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 05:56 AM   #87
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

Quote:
Originally Posted by maristgrad09 View Post
Quote:

Especially when the m340i is faster than the e92 m3 lol.
There's always one.🤪

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 05:57 AM   #88
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
We can agree to disagree, it is what it is. What I know for a fact is that driving an E9X side-by-side with an F30 or G20 is a depressing experience.
You need to drive an E90 M3 back-to-back with an M2 Competition. I do it all the time. My M3 has some suspension mods and wider wheels than stock, the M2C is stock as delivered. The steering feedback approaching/at/over the limits on the M2C is much improved from any other EPS system I've driven from BMW, as we were literally ready to flip the car right away if it didn't meet our desires (our meaning my wife and I, it's her primary car). I spent the day on the Michelin 1/2 mile skidpad with the car on the 3rd day we owned it (had already racked up over 1000 miles) to really shake it down. The driving dynamics of the M2C are outstanding.

She wasn't going to sell her E90 330i (ZSP, 6MT) we owned since new unless the M2C met our expectations since clearly the F30 didn't.

I've been driving BMWs since 1974, and autocrossing 1975, track 1981, etc. 40 year CCA member, etc. I was instantly at home in the M2C on the skidpad, track and autocross courses. It's like a friendly helper just waiting to do whatever you ask and do it well.

One of the best parts of the M2C is the programming that went into the M-active LSD imo. Unlike the ridiculous Visco-Lok unit in the E46/E9x M3, this thing is super integrated into the car's dynamic situation. It's likely 100% open on slow-to-medium speed corner entry, so turn in is unreal instant with no push, and as you transition from heavy trailbraking to rolling on throttle at the apex, it's all ready for you as you track out under as much throttle as the rear tires can handle. It was just as much fun on the skidpad too drifting at 70mph. I really wish we could see some traces of locking percentage overlaid with a track map. I want to learn a lot more about the s/w behind controlling LSD locking percentage versus each input (and derivatives of those inputs).
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24809.50
pbar1380.50
Davil6333.50