BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-13-2021, 09:15 PM   #1
SanDiego640
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i Gran Coupe

Decision time: Swap out the OEM Dunlop RFTs for regular tires?

I know it's been a fairly popular topic here, but with my Dunlop OEM RFT's near the end of their life and it's time for my first new set of tires, what's the right call?

1. Get another set of the Dunlop RFT's.
2. Stick with RFT's but switch to a more rationally priced brand and model
3. Ditch the RFT's altogether and switch to normal tires. If so, what brand/model?

The big question for me is: How much of a ride quality improvement comes with swapping out the RFT's for normal tires, keeping with the low profile spec, on 20" rims?

My Dunlops lasted under 15K miles, and experienced uneven wear (cupping).

Please fire away with your best advice/experience.

Thanks!
Ron
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 09:39 PM   #2
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
The NRFT is much more comfortable, quiter and handles better. Which one to get depends on how you drive.
BTW, cupping can be an indication of week shocks. Make sure to get that checked as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 09:41 PM   #3
doggboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Ditch the RFTs. If you have roadside assistance, no real need for a spare anymore. The ride is much better on conventional tires. I run Kuhmo PS91s they are a replica of the PS4s for about half the price. If money is no object the PS4s are still the best though.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 09:10 AM   #4
3788sam
Registered
Rep
Drives: 17 650i Coupe M Sport

Those Dunlop RFTs where some of the worst tires i have ever owned. Had a tread separation on one and a rear get a nail that could not be repaired.
Decided to go none RF since I could buy all 4 for almost the price of 1 Dunlop.
What a change. No more hitting the gas and watching my DSC light flashing on an off, better ride and few buck in my pocket.
FYI I have road side through my Ins.so just tow it to tire shop if I need to.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 10:11 AM   #5
DaveS86
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 640I

Yep agree with the ditch the run flats. Everything is improved, noise in the cabin reduced, handling better, over bumps much smoother, probably also a very minor increase in fuel economy. Best thing I've done to the car! I went for PS4's
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 10:53 AM   #6
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

get rid sharpish
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 06:23 AM   #7
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

I ditched four nearly new runflats and got the Michelin A/S 3+ all season tires. The change was astounding! I highly recommend making the change.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 07:38 AM   #8
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
I ditched four nearly new runflats and got the Michelin A/S 3+ all season tires. The change was astounding! I highly recommend making the change.

Same here. Plus I added two bottles of Slime Tire Sealant, sensor safe, to the trunk.

L
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 08:02 AM   #9
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

I went with Continental tires and TSW wheels replacing the 351 wheels and shaved off 20 lbs per corner. Drives so much better. I posted the following on the Corvette Forum about flats and non run flat tires and think it's appropriate here:

A little reality. There are exceptions and that's when a tow truck is needed.

But, almost all flat tires are caused by "SLOW" leaks from punctures from nails, screws, etc. Your TPS system will alert you if you have a tire that is going flat long before it goes flat. Consider the nail/screw as your temporary plug. Leave it in the tire. All you really should carry is a small air compressor. And if you don't have one, most likely you can get to a gas station to pump the tire up to it's maximum pressure indicated on the tire which is 51 psi before it actually goes flat. While monitoring the rate you are losing air pressure with your TPS system you can see when you will have to stop and refill the tire with air. Most likely, hundreds of miles.

All this crap about jacks, lug wrenches, tire plug kits, slime, etc is just that, crap. Get a small air compressor and don't worry about flats.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 04:38 AM   #10
TON-III
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 640 DA X-Drive M-Sport -12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
I went with Continental tires and TSW wheels replacing the 351 wheels and shaved off 20 lbs per corner.
I've gone the same way and looked after low load rate expecially in the front (managed to get 96) and car drives like a flying carpet !!!

Those M351 alloys are hefty weighty (+ 14 kg) while good sensible priced aftermarket alloys can reach under 10 kg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
Get a small air compressor and don't worry about flats.
Yes, like wise you could think you must move one day, should you buy a truck to be your every drive car ?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 10:09 PM   #11
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego640 View Post
I know it's been a fairly popular topic here, but with my Dunlop OEM RFT's near the end of their life and it's time for my first new set of tires, what's the right call?

1. Get another set of the Dunlop RFT's.
2. Stick with RFT's but switch to a more rationally priced brand and model
3. Ditch the RFT's altogether and switch to normal tires. If so, what brand/model?

The big question for me is: How much of a ride quality improvement comes with swapping out the RFT's for normal tires, keeping with the low profile spec, on 20" rims?

My Dunlops lasted under 15K miles, and experienced uneven wear (cupping).

Please fire away with your best advice/experience.

Thanks!
Ron
OEM run flats suck. There's nothing good about them.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 05:26 PM   #12
hurst01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i GT XDrive

I have found that runflats are only good for getting knots on them and bending wheels. I went for well over 30 years and didn't have a flat until I bought my BMW with runflats. In the last four years I have so far replaced 13 tires on my 535i X Drive M Package.
I have also had 12 original BMW M wheels on it, all from bending from hitting bridge gaps (expansion joints) on the expressway or minor potholes. Runflat tires are really hard on wheels.
I am getting ready to HAVE to put another set of wheels on the car because the M wheels I have on it are all four bent and all four tires have serious knots. Tread still looks like new and only 3 years old, Runflats Suck. This time I am going NON-Runflat.

Ed
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 08:51 PM   #13
dagoo98
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe

Replacing my RFT were the best decision I've made in my 6 years of ownership of this vehicle. I went with Bridgestone Potenza S007 I believe
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 03:17 AM   #14
red30xdrive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 M50d

I had the OEM Dunlops which were very good when new but the compound seemed to go very hard after getting half worn .

I wanted to keep the run flat capability so I bought a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3 Zero Pressure . Staying with the standard tyre pressures they are riding well but more importantly very good in the wet and I have the security of not being stranded in an area I wouldn't want to be in !.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 12:46 PM   #15
TGrits10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i GC

Just piling on at this point but why not:
-OEM RFTs are terrible. They ride harshly, get damaged over potholes, and grip poorly.
-RFTs are completely unnecessary if you have AAA or other roadside assistance. Keeping a pump in the car helps too. Never needed AAA for a tire issue.
-As everyone will tell you, switching to non-RFT is a night & day difference in ride/noise.
-Tried Bridgestone S007A first, liked em but they wore out quickly (15k front, 10k rear), disappointing grip.
-Currently on PS4S, love em, amazing grip, we'll see on wear.
Appreciate 0