BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-09-2021, 01:44 AM   #1
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

M8 Competition/M6 GC

I just test drove a 2022 M8 Competition GC and it only had a few advantages over my 2018 M6 GC. The M8 sounded better, was more up to date on the interior, and it had better low speed acceleration. What I didn't like about it was the gearing. They didn't have the HUD programmed yet and since it is geared different, I wasn't very efficient on maximizing my shifts.

The upper end acceleration was not as good as my car but I have a DME tune. The salesman told me that after a 1200 mile break in period, BMW recodes their M8's and adds 75 hp to get it up to 625. I still wouldn't think the acceleration would be better than what I've got. I took him for a short drive in my car and all he could say was "Holy Crap!"

The M6 looks so much better than the M8. If I'm going to pay 140K for a car, I want it to look 140K. After my time is up on my M6, I don't think I can go with a M8. I'm not sure where I'll go but I just can't downgrade on looks that much. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 2
      08-09-2021, 03:09 AM   #2
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick 6 View Post
I just test drove a 2022 M8 Competition GC and it only had a few advantages over my 2018 M6 GC. The M8 sounded better, was more up to date on the interior, and it had better low speed acceleration. What I didn't like about it was the gearing. They didn't have the HUD programmed yet and since it is geared different, I wasn't very efficient on maximizing my shifts.

The upper end acceleration was not as good as my car but I have a DME tune. The salesman told me that after a 1200 mile break in period, BMW recodes their M8's and adds 75 hp to get it up to 625. I still wouldn't think the acceleration would be better than what I've got. I took him for a short drive in my car and all he could say was "Holy Crap!"

The M6 looks so much better than the M8. If I'm going to pay 140K for a car, I want it to look 140K. After my time is up on my M6, I don't think I can go with a M8. I'm not sure where I'll go but I just can't downgrade on looks that much. Any suggestions?
Looks wise - I don't think anything in the same category comes even close to M6 GC… I mean anything that's for sale now. A few interesting looking EVs introduced as prototypes, I mean if you are that way inclined… For me it's another min 5 years until meaningful battery tech (solid state?) is available to even consider. And with my low mileage I'll do the most green thing by keeping what I have 😇
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2021, 03:59 AM   #3
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Great thread. I have no idea where to go next - need a sedan, love the style and uniqueness of the M6 and thought the M8 would be naturally next - cant seem to sell myself although it's nice.

Like the new audi rs7, and even the etron GT (without those wheels)… the benz GT I suppose is an option but seems to sit very high in a sedan.

Nothing to complain about but it's nice to dream! For now, I will baby and maintain this - still turns heads and the power feels raw like Ms from the early 2000s.
Appreciate 3
MMMM6GC275.00
Wheel man1212.00
      08-09-2021, 04:08 PM   #4
FinalRenegade
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M6 GranCoupe | Last Model Year

The M8 seems like a major misplay for BMW, here they've taken essentially the evolution of the 6, tagged onto it a 20% 8 series tax, introduced NOTHING new compared to the M5 and it's styled even worse...

The rear 3/4 quarter looks like a Kia Stinger, interior quality is amazing, but the design is very bland and reminiscent of all modern BMWs where as the M6 had the unique waterfall effect albeit the infotainment, buttons, etc. were similar to the F10 5-series.

The performance of that AWD machine is unmistakable though! If I had to replace my 6, which I've already done once by upgrading to the M6 after my 650, I think I'd probably look at the Panamera/ AMG GT 4 door, RS7, or even the Taycan/Etron GT route

And 100% agree with Mike^, M6 still turns plenty of heads, especially cold starting in a garage with the Akra titanium exhaust
Past : 2016 428i Gran Coupe (Sold)
Appreciate 4
mikerx5438.50
MMMM6GC275.00
Kick 6284.00
kris1858555.00
      08-09-2021, 06:20 PM   #5
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Well M5CS is the answer. All reviews up to date including from Chris Harris, Carwow and Throttle House would strongly suggest is the best Sedan currently on sale. It is a serious leap over M5C. Do the research and give it a try. It is far far superior to all the other options mentioned.
      08-10-2021, 11:24 AM   #6
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s not in love with the m8’s. The feeling I got when the m6gc was originally released was that “THIS will be my next car!”…With the m8, I feel like I’m almost forcing myself to like it. No DCT (big let down) and it lacks visual aggression to me. The m8gc looks too “sedan-like” IMO. No aggressive body lines on the side as per the m6gc. Sucks bc I really wanted it to grow on me (mainly for the s63tu). As for the OP regarding what’s next, likely an RS7 or GT63s. The rs7 weighs nearly 5k lbs which is crazy, but in the aftermarket world they’re making up for that with some serious power (important to me with whatever car I go with). I’ll have to drive it to see how it handles, though. These two cars alone have single handedly won me over for my next move.

Appreciate 3
Kick 6284.00
jjasonSU194.00
Wheel man1212.00
      08-10-2021, 11:39 AM   #7
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post
I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s not in love with the m8’s. The feeling I got when the m6gc was originally released was that “THIS will be my next car!”…With the m8, I feel like I’m almost forcing myself to like it. No DCT (big let down) and it lacks visual aggression to me. The m8gc looks too “sedan-like” IMO. No aggressive body lines on the side as per the m6gc. Sucks bc I really wanted it to grow on me (mainly for the s63tu). As for the OP regarding what’s next, likely an RS7 or GT63s. The rs7 weighs nearly 5k lbs which is crazy, but in the aftermarket world they’re making up for that with some serious power (important to me with whatever car I go with). I’ll have to drive it to see how it handles, though. These two cars alone have single handedly won me over for my next move.
Well said and I share a lot of the same sentiments on the M8GC. I still have no desire to sell my M6 GC anytime soon -- hopefully I can just find a way to keep it indefinitely as it's symbolic to me personally for being a goal I set out in front of myself.

That being said when I want to move into a newer daily, an RS6 or Panamera Turbo S Sport Turismo are what I have my eye on.

08-10-2021, 01:32 PM   #8
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Bingo!
Appreciate 1
Flo1989342.00
      08-10-2021, 02:06 PM   #9
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

I understand the sentiment for those other cars because of cosmetics, family reasons and interior luxury etc. However based on performance and driving dynamics , I am not sure any of them could live with M5CS. Please see some of the videos below. M5CS is regarded as the best super sedan currently on sale. All reviews so far have been superlative and show that it rides and feels different to M5Comp. If I have the money, it is the only car I would change my M6GCComp for. Please don't take offence with me. Thanks

Last edited by babaikram; 08-10-2021 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 02:23 PM   #10
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

The M5CS, while great, is such a limited release. I think I read somewhere that it would be maybe 300 something in total? Great car but will be hard for many of us to get. Also, I feel like most people on this side of the forum like the coupe or "4 door coupe" theme. Which is obviously lost when going to a M5.
Appreciate 2
MMMM6GC275.00
jjasonSU194.00
      08-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #11
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post
Well said and I share a lot of the same sentiments on the M8GC. I still have no desire to sell my M6 GC anytime soon -- hopefully I can just find a way to keep it indefinitely as it's symbolic to me personally for being a goal I set out in front of myself.

That being said when I want to move into a newer daily, an RS6 or Panamera Turbo S Sport Turismo are what I have my eye on.
I'm with you on having no intentions on selling the M6! Such beast that we have.

Ahh, you're more brave than me. I lust over the "wagon's" but I don't have the balls just yet, haha. I am bias with the Panameras though as one currently sits in my garage.

Appreciate 2
jjasonSU194.00
      08-10-2021, 02:37 PM   #12
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Quote:

I'm with you on having no intentions on selling the M6! Such beast that we have.

Ahh, you're more brave than me. I lust over the "wagon's" but I don't have the balls just yet, haha. I am bias with the Panameras though as one currently sits in my garage.

What a beauty! During my time with Porsche I always felt it was the most overlooked car in the lineup — fantastic total package
      08-10-2021, 03:35 PM   #13
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeesh! And ditto on your prior note, I have always looked at the m6 as a different type of sedan, that was always the appeal.

And like you, was in awe from the first time I saw one in person… still never see them, which I personally love.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 05:27 PM   #14
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
Yeesh! And ditto on your prior note, I have always looked at the m6 as a different type of sedan, that was always the appeal.

And like you, was in awe from the first time I saw one in person… still never see them, which I personally love.
Most definitely love not seeing them often as well. I’ve seen maybe 5 m6gc in my life time. A lot more coupes and convertibles. I was extremely close to getting a coupe until I seen the GC in person. Too bad BMW dropped the ball moving forward..
Appreciate 1
mikerx5438.50
      08-12-2021, 06:20 PM   #15
xsb00st
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow

Today I was behind an M8GC and initially thought it was an M4. For some reason it looks small to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 07:13 AM   #16
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6 individual

Actually for a sports car it is good to look small and wide. That is why I like the 911 stance from the back with the wide body model.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 11:41 PM   #17
roofyroo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 GC (CP)

I feel the same. I had the pleasure of having a M8 drive up on me. Sad. Mine looks so much better. And I actually planned on purchasing the M8 smh. Decided to sell my M6 GC to Carvana this week. Next up...well...do they still make pinto's!? kidding. I'm walking until I see whats happing with all the electric car drops next year. :-)
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      08-21-2021, 12:17 AM   #18
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Are you all seriously talking about that m5cs that does not have soft close, even half of seat adjustments that 6 has, little to no outside sound proof and a lot of other limitations just to make a car weight less???

How do you think you can love it after luxury 6?
Appreciate 2
      08-21-2021, 02:20 PM   #19
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolianovskyi View Post
Are you all seriously talking about that m5cs that does not have soft close, even half of seat adjustments that 6 has, little to no outside sound proof and a lot of other limitations just to make a car weight less???

Maybe I am the exception. I just travelled 300 miles with other 3 other members of the family (wife and children). All of them, except me, complained of painful bums within 2 hours. Whilst I did not feel any pain in the bum and in the back and everything was pleasurable. Every setting was at the softest for suspension, transmission etc. The family had done the same trip with me in G30 520d and they enjoyed the journey.

So for me, I would be ready to exchange my M6GC Comp for M5CS, if the opportunity arises.
      08-21-2021, 08:27 PM   #20
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Quote:

Maybe I am the exception. I just travelled 300 miles with other 3 other members of the family (wife and children). All of them, except me, complained of painful bums within 2 hours. Whilst I did not feel any pain in the bum and in the back and everything was pleasurable. Every setting was at the softest for suspension, transmission etc. The family had done the same trip with me in G30 520d and they enjoyed the journey.

So for me, I would be ready to exchange my M6GC Comp for M5CS, if the opportunity arises.
You are missing that.

Your argument is a nonsense, because we do not know how you drove, we don't know quality of that road, we do not know how good maintained your car now, we do not know many other details because of what family could complain.

But I do know, that M5CS does not have almost all assistants, high quality audio, comfort seats, probably active cruise as well. And many others.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      08-22-2021, 04:41 PM   #21
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Quote:

You are missing that.

Your argument is a nonsense, because we do not know how you drove, we don't know quality of that road, we do not know how good maintained your car now, we do not know many other details because of what family could complain.

But I do know, that M5CS does not have almost all assistants, high quality audio, comfort seats, probably active cruise as well. And many others.
Why are people usually so abusive and rude on forums. First of all my car is in a top shape. The interior and exterior of the car are there in other M6 threads such as bmw individual paints and shows us your car etc. The British motorways are well maintained etc. Individual views and choices would be different and we can all express them without being rude. Sometimes the tone of a post shows how much cultured and educated someone is.
      08-23-2021, 05:48 PM   #22
BLACK KILLER
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW'16 M6GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick 6 View Post

My friend, your feelings are clear to me. I have tried many cars - M 8 Gran Coupe, Panamera and so on. I can give you one piece of advice - try the new Taycan, this is the only thing that can get you excited after the M 6 Gran Coupe.
Greeting from Southern Germany :-)
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
jjasonSU194.00
Kick 6284.00