BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

09-04-2018, 02:43 AM   #1
Giggs11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13' f13 650i xdrive,M package

Next MOD - coils , springs .....??

All you experts out there what is my options , I do wanna maintain Factory adjustability, thank you for a input
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 05:04 AM   #2
JamieTailor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 640D GC

Not sure if this is going to help yet but I have ordered eibach springs for my GC. Apparently they are pretty identical to the ACS springs but if you wanna drop it the most go for h&r although that compromises comfort the most.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 05:13 AM   #3
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Here is the drop on H&R, this is on the xdrive... goes slightly lower in the rear on RWD is the general consensus.
Ride comfortably and handling is drastically improved... top pics are front/rear before and bottom pic front /rear after.
That is the top of some energy drink my boy had..its a bis cap though at least 1.5 - 2 inches if not more
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 11:16 PM   #4
monkeyf13
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13

H&R springs

Here is mine on H&R springs. I put it on a few months ago, and it's all settled in. The drop makes it look fairly even on the front and rear (rear is slightly higher than front). The front drop is noticeable, however the rear was minimal (about 1/2"-5/8").

I want to go about 1/2" to 3/4" lower in the front and rear, so I'm looking into getting coilovers... but don't know which one to get. I heard KW were the best bet, however they only make the V3 version which I don't want to spend that much (around $2700 + install cost) for another 1/2"-3/4" drop. I heard BC are good coilovers as well for the cost.

Anyone have experience with BC?

This was the only review I can find closest to our year/model (6 series). I read the reviews on other cars (subaru, acura, etc...) and they were very happy with them.

http://premiumfuelmag.com/bc-review/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 12:07 AM   #5
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyf13 View Post
Here is mine on H&R springs. I put it on a few months ago, and it's all settled in. The drop makes it look fairly even on the front and rear (rear is slightly higher than front). The front drop is noticeable, however the rear was minimal (about 1/2"-5/8").

I want to go about 1/2" to 3/4" lower in the front and rear, so I'm looking into getting coilovers... but don't know which one to get. I heard KW were the best bet, however they only make the V3 version which I don't want to spend that much (around $2700 + install cost) for another 1/2"-3/4" drop. I heard BC are good coilovers as well for the cost.

Anyone have experience with BC?

This was the only review I can find closest to our year/model (6 series). I read the reviews on other cars (subaru, acura, etc...) and they were very happy with them.

http://premiumfuelmag.com/bc-review/
I have used BC coils before, if you do be sure to get the Swift spring upgrade as an option. Definitely a difference in ride comfort. You have to figure out what your goal is. I decided on H& R springs, because I am not doing shows any more, and at 43 years young, I just wanted to eliminate some wheel gap, lower the center of gravity and thus improve handling slightly. If you want to be slammed and compromise form and function for aesthetic beauty, go air or coilovers. Air if you want supreme comfort and drop, coilovers if you want the ultimate driving experience.

With the BC's you can adjust your height and stiffness settings by removing rear wheels and from the top of the strut in the front and height from removing rear wheels. But as you do your research especially in the Subaru forum pay attention to the the individuals that talk about the significant improvements in between the stock BC coil and the Swift spring upgrade.

Attached is the pic of install i did on my 2010 Maxima, the Swift upgrade has bronze springs while the regulars have black springs.

Car looks fire by the way... I think with that set of H&R, she pretty mean looking, but again... we all mod our cars differently.. hoped that helped.
Attached Images

Last edited by DerBosewicht; 09-12-2018 at 12:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2018, 11:30 PM   #6
monkeyf13
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerBosewicht View Post
I have used BC coils before, if you do be sure to get the Swift spring upgrade as an option. Definitely a difference in ride comfort. You have to figure out what your goal is. I decided on H& R springs, because I am not doing shows any more, and at 43 years young, I just wanted to eliminate some wheel gap, lower the center of gravity and thus improve handling slightly. If you want to be slammed and compromise form and function for aesthetic beauty, go air or coilovers. Air if you want supreme comfort and drop, coilovers if you want the ultimate driving experience.

With the BC's you can adjust your height and stiffness settings by removing rear wheels and from the top of the strut in the front and height from removing rear wheels. But as you do your research especially in the Subaru forum pay attention to the the individuals that talk about the significant improvements in between the stock BC coil and the Swift spring upgrade.

Attached is the pic of install i did on my 2010 Maxima, the Swift upgrade has bronze springs while the regulars have black springs.

Car looks fire by the way... I think with that set of H&R, she pretty mean looking, but again... we all mod our cars differently.. hoped that helped.
Very nice. Thank you for the advice and sharing your experience on the coilovers. I called BC Racing and they advised me that they do not make Swift Springs for our cars. They only have the BR model coilovers. I was told that we can adjust the damper to near OEM specs (will still be slightly stiffer than OEM, which is good). I don't plan to slam the car, just lower another 1/2" in front and 3/4" in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 12:10 AM   #7
BMPOWERED
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650 GC M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggs11 View Post
All you experts out there what is my options , I do wanna maintain Factory adjustability, thank you for a input
When you say you want to "maintain factory adjustability," I assume you mean you want to be able to still use EDC. Just so you know, no one makes a coil over for our cars that retains EDC. With coil overs, you must delete EDC. I went H&R for a modest drop and am pleased. H&R is about the lowest drop you will get with springs. And difference in comfort is barely perceptible.
2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 (sold)
2001 BMW 325ci (sold)
Appreciate 1