BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-22-2021, 08:40 PM   #1
Lazerbeam
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

H&R VTF Lowering Springs on 640i xDrive - Kudos

First, this was a “Covid project”, so time wasn't an issue. Although, I have done many bolt-on types of projects through the years (brakes, rotors, exhausts, radios, etc), I had never done any suspension work before. Since time was not a factor I cannot tell you how long it took. I took my time when I had an issue I rewatched videos, sipped some bourbon to gather my patience and forged ahead. I did the front one weekend, the next weekend I did the rear.

Install Tips and Tricks
Front

I primarily used the directions from below for the front struts. The directions were spot on for my 640i xDrive. The only tip I would add is to use the ball breaker tool pictured. Use a socket to help break the ball joint in a couple of minutes without a lot of struggle. Make sure the socket is smaller in diameter than the ball joint, so it doesn’t get stuck inside the joint. I got the loaner tool for free at AutoZone. Kudos to board57796 for an excellent post!

DIY Guide - H&R Springs on 650i xDrive Gran Coupe

Rear

I primarily used the video below as a guide. Although, the video is for an M6 coupe the directions for removing the shocks for the 640i coupe are exactly the same.

BMW M6 (f12/f13) KW HAS install Part 2: Rear - YouTube

Lastly, I used the following video for how to work with the H&R VTF lowering springs and the spring compression tool.

The best lowering springs? H&R VTF Adjustable Springs : BMW F10 528i, 535i, 550i - YouTube

Ride Impressions

I have the height setting on the springs set at 50mm, which is the highest setting. I bought the springs because I knew the handling of the car could be improved with firmer springs, but I didn’t want the car lowered too much. Paying the extra money for adjustable springs to ensure the correct ride height was worth it. I liked the stance of the car with the OEM springs, but the car rolled in turns more than I liked, plus it would rock back when accelerating hard (even in Sport Mode). Having the springs adjusted at 50mm in the front and rear lowered the car an inch all the way around.
The ride is one step firmer in each of the driving modes. Eco mode=Comfort, Comfort=Sport, Sport is about 20% firmer, but the ride is not harsh in any of the modes. The handling is improved in all driving modes. Switching between driving modes works fine. I took a quick trip of about 250 miles. I used Eco mode to cruise at highway speeds. Shifted to Comfort or Sport mode to maneuver when necessary or when spirited driving was desired. Very enjoyable trip. The better handling characteristics enhance the BM3 stage1 tune. Overall, I’m very happy with outcome.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0