BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #23
BadContrakt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Sounds like a case of mistaken identity if EVERYONE in your town is giving you the finger. I drove out West last in Fall 2017 in a Z3. Never had any such issues.
Nah it's not everyone. Like I said above, it happens a lot. Multiple times a week. But not everyone.

Mistaken identity would be a funny scenario but I doubt it! Only a couple BMWs in the county lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 12:36 PM   #24
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Oh my god please not another one like this.

On a 100km/h highway please don't tell me you do 100km/h in the left lane
What in the hell are km/h

No, but when I start getting a little pissy about someone driving like that, I do have to remind myself that "speed limit" is not the minimum speed!
      06-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #25
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
What in the hell are km/h

No, but when I start getting a little pissy about someone driving like that, I do have to remind myself that "speed limit" is not the minimum speed!
Hahahha

I guess so.. We also have 60mk/h minimum speed limit but still we have laws that can be used for someone if they are not following traffic speed they can potentially be a danger. Especially doing the limit in the left lane. And also laws for slower traffic keep right. So while driving higher than the limit is breaking the law, being slower than the traffic in the left is also one. And usually the first one won't get you stopped if only 20~30 km over.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #26
ferizzo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550xi M-Sport

I agree. I can be aggressive but I try my hardest not to be a dangerous a-hole. Even when minding my own business people will change speed not to be passed or feel the need to pass you back. My experience is vehicle agnostic. Just yesterday, an X3 was driving slower than me in the left so I switched over and passed on the right. Mind you, no cars near us in either lane. I switched back to the left with plenty of distance between us. Suddenly she speeds up and passes me now going 20 mph more than she was previously going. This didn't bother me, but what was the point?

Then there are the a-holes that speed up when you try to pass or cut you off close. This drives me nuts. It does happen, not all the time, but does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadContrakt View Post
It's also not EVERY time. But it's often. At least a couple times in a week I'll get a dirty look or I'll get someone changing their speed on me during a pass or whatever. I set my cruise every day, to and from work (at the chevy dealership ) at 70mph in a 60mph zone. I've clocked it a few different times and my cruise at 70mph is 66mph in real life. So I'm only going 6 over. I mean if I'm going 80 in a 60 and passing people that's understandable maybe they think I'm an asshole cause I drive so fast but it's not even the case. I go 66 in a 60. Come on!
Appreciate 2
      06-13-2019, 01:03 PM   #27
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
My biggest issue with a-hole drivers is that they might be postal. When someone gives me shit, I ALWAYS watch to be sure they havenÂ’t followed me. With so many insane violent people around, it is wise to be aware.

This happened once years ago in my neighborhood with my two young kids in the car. I pulled in front of someone in some sort of sporty car - didnÂ’t even make them slow down because that Honda Odyssey had plenty of pep, but the woman (I think it was) started tailing me.

We were headed just a few blocks to a friendÂ’s house, and I knew the streets so I just kept driving around in circles. She finally figured out what I was doing and sped off, but I still didnÂ’t stop until I was SURE she was long gone.

That was probably nearly 20 years ago. We have a LOT more drivers with anger issues these days.
Appreciate 5
      06-13-2019, 01:24 PM   #28
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

In Texas youll be met with beer cans and bottles while attempting to pass.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #29
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
In California speed limit is minimum speed apparently.

Oregon is even crazier, i noticed people drive fast as shit on the freeway. Like Hondas and Toyotas passing me all day long going 85+...its crazy. To be fair tho everytime i was in OR / WA i was in my e30, and the gearing doesnt let me cruise over 80, its just too high up in the RPM.
Huh? I was considering moving to the Portland area a couple of years ago and how dang slow everyone there drives is one of the things that turned me away from that idea! People acted like I was a nut because I wanted to go 70mph in the fast lane on the freeway (everybody was at like 60mph there)!

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 01:31 PM   #30
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

As I have posted in other threads here, I deal with this quite a bit in the small town that I live in TN. It's one of the two. Some guy in a jacked up "Bro-Truck" with more lights than the driver has common sense that wants to race or someone in a P.O.S. jealous because your car is nicer than theirs. On a rare occasion you get some kid in a ricer who thinks his car is lambo and wants to drag race.

OP, to answer your question, it isn't a BMW thing. Happened in both of my BMW's, my Infiniti and both of my IS350's it's a jealousy/reverse jealousy thing in my opinion.

I've found that the best mentality to have is to try to stay out of the way of other drivers who "need" to be driving faster than you and remain emotionless about how they are driving. If everyone did this, driving would be so much more fun.

By the way, these speed limits you guys keep speaking of; are these posted on the fuzzy looking white signs with the blurry numbers I can never read?
Appreciate 7
ItsGary1456.50
cmyx6go15573.50
Germanauto9665.50
ferizzo83.00
Poochie9099.00
tet0010.00
      06-13-2019, 01:57 PM   #31
BadContrakt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
As I have posted in other threads here, I deal with this quite a bit in the small town that I live in TN. It's one of the two. Some guy in a jacked up "Bro-Truck" with more lights than the driver has common sense that wants to race or someone in a P.O.S. jealous because your car is nicer than theirs. On a rare occasion you get some kid in a ricer who thinks his car is lambo and wants to drag race.

OP, to answer your question, it isn't a BMW thing. Happened in both of my BMW's, my Infiniti and both of my IS350's it's a jealousy/reverse jealousy thing in my opinion.

I've found that the best mentality to have is to try to stay out of the way of other drivers who "need" to be driving faster than you and remain emotionless about how they are driving. If everyone did this, driving would be so much more fun.

By the way, these speed limits you guys keep speaking of; are these posted on the fuzzy looking white signs with the blurry numbers I can never read?
I think your jealousy conclusion makes a lot of sense. Not just strict to the BMW logo but more-so just having a nice ride in general when they're in their beater.

If only those people knew how easy it is to actually drive something nice. Maybe people just assume to drive a Lexus or BMW you have to spend 30 grand and have good credit. It's just not the case. I know plenty of 400 score roaches that own BMWs.

I used to drive brand new cars and my wife and I decided to downsize. We sold that shit and sold a bunch of other shit. I bought her E46 cash for under 3 grand. Probably the best used vehicle purchase I've ever made. That thing is BULLET... PROOF... For real! Every time I get behind the wheel of her car I fall in love all over again.

And my car was 7k and I took out a loan for it with my wife as co-signer. Why? Because I wanted to keep my auto-history active. If we owned both of our cars I would think it would be slightly tougher to get something new in a few years when her E46 dies I reckon. I've got an 800 score and she has a 750 and after 6 years of minimum monthly payments (under 100 dollars) we will have paid 400 dollars in interest (2.75%). I think 400 dollars is well worth keeping my credit active. How awesome is that? I'll take these pre-owned BMWs any day over the 2017 Honda and 2017 Ford we both drove. 300 and 400 dollar payments. I'm over that. Much happier with this route (although her Civic got 42mph AVERAGE - over 60mpg at 45mph LMAO let's see her E46 do that)!

Last edited by BadContrakt; 06-13-2019 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      06-13-2019, 02:01 PM   #32
lorenzoX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 335i sport sedane

Hello guys, I'm new in this community. I think that this guy has mistaken you with some other person who drives the same car.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 02:04 PM   #33
BadContrakt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoX View Post
Hello guys, I'm new in this community. I think that this guy has mistaken you with some other person who drives the same car.
It's pretty hard to mistake me. Not only do I drive a black debadged E90 but I also have roof racks and a kayak attachment (cause... I kayak a lot) on those roof racks. Dark tinted windows with Florida plates.

I can guarantee you I'm the only E90 in this county and surrounding counties, and maybe even this entire state, with a roof rack and Florida plates.

Oh, and welcome. I'm new here too!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 02:37 PM   #34
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
I agree with Rudi. I just let people by who are acting crazy. And stay as far away as possible. I like to go fast when I can, but not the expense of other drivers or safety.

Dang but we have a nice bunch of enthusiasts here. It is very nice to participate in this forum, always.
Appreciate 3
ItsGary1456.50
King Rudi13152.00
      06-13-2019, 02:53 PM   #35
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
It's pretty hard to mistake me. Not only do I drive a black debadged E90 but I also have roof racks and a kayak attachment (cause... I kayak a lot) on those roof racks. Dark tinted windows with Florida plates.

I can guarantee you I'm the only E90 in this county and surrounding counties, and maybe even this entire state, with a roof rack and Florida plates.

Oh, and welcome. I'm new here too!
Probably not a great idea to be driving like an asshat or something around others if you're easy to identify.
      06-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #36
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Man - I just don't get it. I live in Tennessee as well. And drive a BMW. And a Ferrari. Both cars are well known douche-mobiles, and I have never had anyone give me the finger.

Not trying to be rude here, but jeez, I've just never experienced this at all.
You're too busy posting while driving to notice?
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15573.50
      06-13-2019, 03:10 PM   #37
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
You're too busy posting while driving to notice?
Sure, let's go with that.
Efthreeoh16946.00
      06-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #38
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I'm guessing indifference, I dgaf so dont pay much attention.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 03:23 PM   #39
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

its a Midwest thing.

people just drive ridiculously slow around here. They have nowhere to be in a hurry. Nobody honks.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #40
dharper
BMW CCA Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW X3 30i-'11 BMW 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4BimmerChris View Post
Tennessee is the same way as Minnesota they flip me off driving down the road just because I drive a m4. People will brake check and do the same thing as up there. I remember I was driving through my neighborhood once at a stop sign I go first to 2nd in the Manual sport mode on DCT and just up to 3k nothing much I had someone swirve then stop in front of me rolled down window and honked there horn and yelled at me. I don’t even stop I swirve around them and downshift to 5k and go through the gear redline lol I also came out of a restaurant one day and I look and there’s this guy in a drive thru at Taco Bell he’s a passenger he taps on his glass pointing at my car then flips me off. I can go on forever about what happens here.
I have to commute through Nashville every day for work, and have experienced some of the negative bias mentioned above. Hell, it happened before I began driving a BMW, however there is a noticeable uptick since moving to a BMW as my daily. I just try to avoid them crashing into me as they're doing their thing. Where we live, I've noticed it's especially bad on Sunday when they practically run you off the road, flip you off, and then turn into church.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #41
BadContrakt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
Probably not a great idea to be driving like an asshat or something around others if you're easy to identify.
What makes you think I'm driving like an asshat? I'm pretty lax behind the wheel unless I'm on my one strip of road where I like to stretch my car's legs and the only reason I like doing it there is because there's no traffic. 1 car found usually in a 6 mile stretch.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 03:42 PM   #42
BadContrakt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
and then turn into church.
LMAO
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #43
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
What makes you think I'm driving like an asshat? I'm pretty lax behind the wheel unless I'm on my one strip of road where I like to stretch my car's legs and the only reason I like doing it there is because there's no traffic. 1 car found usually in a 6 mile stretch.
Not saying you are, just a figure out speech type of thing.
      06-13-2019, 03:44 PM   #44
Alpine_F82
Just Building My M4 Track Car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15’ M4 Alpine

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
I have to commute through Nashville every day for work, and have experienced some of the negative bias mentioned above. Hell, it happened before I began driving a BMW, however there is a noticeable uptick since moving to a BMW as my daily. I just try to avoid them crashing into me as they're doing their thing. Where we live, I've noticed it's especially bad on Sunday when they practically run you off the road, flip you off, and then turn into church.
Spot on
Appreciate 0