BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

View Poll Results: M6 or Panamera GTS
M6 GC Competition 20 83.33%
Panamera GTS 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

03-20-2020, 09:35 PM   #1
Talaldinho
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Lightbulb M6 vs Panamera GTS

Guys, hoping someone drove or own both cars and can give me some feedback on which one is better / prefer :

1. Daily Driver
2. Seat comfort
3. Handling
4. Exhaust sound
5. Fun to drive
6. baby seat lol
7. Reliability

I have an option to purchase for the same price

2015 M6 GC Competition Package M Exhaust ( Test drove it, love it!!)
2013 Panamera GTS - lower Milages than M6
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 11:34 PM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I've considered both cars. Actually I've considered the Panamera Turbo. Hands down the M6. Bmw makes better versions of this type of car
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 11:53 PM   #3
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

So I think I’m your guy as I currently own both - a M6 Gran Coupe Comp and a 2013 Panamera GTS.

1. Daily Driver: Both make for great daily’s with neither having a real advantage in this category except the Porsche having AWD if that is something you prefer/need for where you live. The M6 in the winter is a no-no unless you plan to mount on winter tires. The GTS has a bit more storage space being a hatch back, but the M6 is plenty enough with also having the pass through back seating option.

2. Seat Comfort: I’m going to slightly give the edge to Porsche on this. While the M6 is not uncomfortable by any means, Porsche’s leather is just on another level imo. The seats are a bit more firm in the GTS, but more so in a supportive manner rather than a hard race seat feel. The M6 feels “good” but nothing to brag about.

3. Handling: This is tough...The M handles great, but so does the Porsche. The Porsche’s power is more controllable by having a lot less (modded to 480ish crank vs my 700whp M) and by of course being awd..This makes it a little more predictable I guess I would say. But once you get the hang of the M’s power, stock or modified, its a joy as well. I feel comfortable taking bends in either going 100mph with no sweat.

4. Exhaust Sound: GTS. End of story lol. Stock vs stock it’s not even in the same league. I removed the resonator on the GTS and replaced it with an x-pipe so its even more sinister. Now that the M6 is catless with an axle back it can hold its own, but a high revving N/A motor is always going to sound great.

5. Fun to Drive: Ask me any day and my answer will change. For me its more of a “what mood am I in?” Blazing on the highway with the M or playing with the PDK on some backroads or city streets.

6. Baby Seat: No kids yet, but the GTS has split seating so only room for two oppose to the M6 giving you an option for a third.

7. Reliability: Tie. I haven’t had any issues with either outside of normal maintenance. I think you’ll be fine with either if you choose a car with a good history. Be sure to get a PPI prior to purchase as that $200 or so can save you thousands down the road..

Here are some photos of the GTS for reference...I think you’ll thoroughly enjoy either one. Try to drive a GTS if you can so that you can make a truly informed decision.

Appreciate 3
Flying Ace4984.50
jjasonSU194.00
SisuM61.50
      03-21-2020, 12:54 AM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Fantastic color choice in both cars. I love Silverstone, and I always liked the graphite color cars.

I prefer 2014+ Panameras with PDLS+ lights as I cannot stand those DRL lights they installed up to 2013. Other than that the color cover is stunning on the Panamera.

Ultimately I still feel like the Turbo is the direct comparison. Obviously basically the same car, but with a lot more horsepower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post
So I think I’m your guy as I currently own both - a M6 Gran Coupe Comp and a 2013 Panamera GTS.

1. Daily Driver: Both make for great daily’s with neither having a real advantage in this category except the Porsche having AWD if that is something you prefer/need for where you live. The M6 in the winter is a no-no unless you plan to mount on winter tires. The GTS has a bit more storage space being a hatch back, but the M6 is plenty enough with also having the pass through back seating option.

2. Seat Comfort: I’m going to slightly give the edge to Porsche on this. While the M6 is not uncomfortable by any means, Porsche’s leather is just on another level imo. The seats are a bit more firm in the GTS, but more so in a supportive manner rather than a hard race seat feel. The M6 feels “good” but nothing to brag about.

3. Handling: This is tough...The M handles great, but so does the Porsche. The Porsche’s power is more controllable by having a lot less (modded to 480ish crank vs my 700whp M) and by of course being awd..This makes it a little more predictable I guess I would say. But once you get the hang of the M’s power, stock or modified, its a joy as well. I feel comfortable taking bends in either going 100mph with no sweat.

4. Exhaust Sound: GTS. End of story lol. Stock vs stock it’s not even in the same league. I removed the resonator on the GTS and replaced it with an x-pipe so its even more sinister. Now that the M6 is catless with an axle back it can hold its own, but a high revving N/A motor is always going to sound great.

5. Fun to Drive: Ask me any day and my answer will change. For me its more of a “what mood am I in?” Blazing on the highway with the M or playing with the PDK on some backroads or city streets.

6. Baby Seat: No kids yet, but the GTS has split seating so only room for two oppose to the M6 giving you an option for a third.

7. Reliability: Tie. I haven’t had any issues with either outside of normal maintenance. I think you’ll be fine with either if you choose a car with a good history. Be sure to get a PPI prior to purchase as that $200 or so can save you thousands down the road..

Here are some photos of the GTS for reference...I think you’ll thoroughly enjoy either one. Try to drive a GTS if you can so that you can make a truly informed decision.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 01:13 AM   #5
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Fantastic color choice in both cars. I love Silverstone, and I always liked the graphite color cars.

I prefer 2014+ Panameras with PDLS+ lights as I cannot stand those DRL lights they installed up to 2013. Other than that the color cover is stunning on the Panamera.

Ultimately I still feel like the Turbo is the direct comparison. Obviously basically the same car, but with a lot more horsepower.
Thanks.

I guess the 2014-16 style is all in ones preference bc I think the front looks pretty basic in those years compared to the ‘13 GTS which stands out from all models in the Panamera line up (completely different bumper). Also, they decided to add a ton of plastic to the rear bumper in ‘14 which looks god awful to me. Now the ‘19 GTS...that has my interest. A lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 02:27 AM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.

I guess the 2014-16 style is all in ones preference bc I think the front looks pretty basic in those years compared to the ‘13 GTS which stands out from all models in the Panamera line up (completely different bumper). Also, they decided to add a ton of plastic to the rear bumper in ‘14 which looks god awful to me. Now the ‘19 GTS...that has my interest. A lot.
Same here. Loving the 19 Panameras. Got my sights on a Turbo E Hybrid Wagon
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 02:22 PM   #7
Talaldinho
Private
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for you thorough feedback. You have a great taste in picking the colours.

Which info system so you prefer more? I heard the Porshe info system is outdated.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 02:30 PM   #8
Talaldinho
Private
Rep

Comparing a Turbo to an M6 seems to me unfair considering the Price.
In Canada, a used old Turbo's are almost as expensive as new model M6.

For the guys comparing, please do not forget the M6 has Competition Package and M Performance Exhaust.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SisuM61.50
      03-21-2020, 05:05 PM   #9
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talaldinho View Post
Comparing a Turbo to an M6 seems to me unfair considering the Price.
In Canada, a used old Turbo's are almost as expensive as new model M6.

For the guys comparing, please do not forget the M6 has Competition Package and M Performance Exhaust.
Thanks. I prefer the BMW idrive system over the Porsche’s as it is definitely more advanced and user friendly.

And yeah, my answers were with the mindset of a competition pack car as that’s what I have. M performance exhaust or not, the GTS is still going to sound better stock to stock. It won’t be until you go with catless downpipes that you truly wake them up. I do love San Marino blue on the M though..I’d be tempted for sure.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
SisuM61.50
      03-21-2020, 05:28 PM   #10
flashgordon64
FLASHGORDON64
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F06 M6 GC

Flint, what wheels are on your GC? My GC is silverstone as well although it has vinyl wrap as it stands now. Good looking car bud.

Mitch
Appreciate 1
SisuM61.50
      03-21-2020, 05:43 PM   #11
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

The M6 is massively more beautiful than the Panamera, so the specs are irrelevant. To me, the deal is done at "hello M6"!
Appreciate 3
      03-21-2020, 06:45 PM   #12
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashgordon64 View Post
Flint, what wheels are on your GC? My GC is silverstone as well although it has vinyl wrap as it stands now. Good looking car bud.

Mitch
Hey Mitch - PM replied to.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 05:44 PM   #13
SisuM6
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
2014 M6  [0.00]
M6 for the Win

Porsche very respectable but is just oddly shaped
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 07:37 PM   #14
XSTAR_007
Private
Rep
Drives: M6GC

If the M6 is San Marino Blue...call it a day! I’ve never loved the Panamera styling, but many do. Flo I do love the color and set-up on yours. Simple and clean!
Appreciate 1
Flo1989342.00