BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-18-2021, 02:12 PM   #155
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400

I bought this car because:
- It was a really good looking car. And that sparkly blue paint with the chrome wheels - I loved the way it looked.
- The engine was a gem
- Infiniti was basically giving away cars at 20% discounts

Why did I regret it?
- Although I felt the issues with steer-by-wire and the slow transmission during the test drive, I figured I'd get used to it, (Plus it was still way quicker than my outgoing IS350.... and hey, at 20% off that clouded my judgement). 3 years later I still hated the steering and the transmission
- The tech got old FAST. You could argue it was outdated by the time I bought it, but after a couple years it really started to show its age.

Attachment 2733353
Girlfriend has the non-red 400 version. Still amazingly quick little car. I have likes and dislikes about it, but it isn't mine. I have to say, the acceleration on this thing is surprising.

Currently driving a 2014 IS 350 F. Love and hate my car. I actually like the looks, the interior is awkward and in true IS owner fashion, I too will also comment on how slow and disconnected it feels....until you get it over 80. Oddly, it seems to come to life at that speed, especially with the 8-speed transmission. I came from an E93 that I turned wrenches on damn near every weekend and wanted reliability. I got reliability, but traded feel and speed for it.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317945.00
      11-18-2021, 02:41 PM   #156
FatRear08
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

2017 GT350. Yes, the engine and exhaust note are phenomenal. That being said, the paint quality and body panel alignment was on par with a 1982 Yugo. The interior was no more special than a fleet rental mustang other than some badging and alcantara. It had this cheap plastic smell every time I got in it that I despised. Sold it after 4 months.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 03:49 PM   #157
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Girlfriend has the non-red 400 version. Still amazingly quick little car. I have likes and dislikes about it, but it isn't mine. I have to say, the acceleration on this thing is surprising.

Currently driving a 2014 IS 350 F. Love and hate my car. I actually like the looks, the interior is awkward and in true IS owner fashion, I too will also comment on how slow and disconnected it feels....until you get it over 80. Oddly, it seems to come to life at that speed, especially with the 8-speed transmission. I came from an E93 that I turned wrenches on damn near every weekend and wanted reliability. I got reliability, but traded feel and speed for it.
Yeah I didn't "hate" my Q50... there was plenty to like about it. The motor really was incredible and smooth. I just felt like it was held back by a few things (i.e. transmission, steer-by-wire, old tech). Still a good daily driver but I felt like I impulse bought it because I was getting bored of my IS350.

The only reason I didn't go with the 3rd generation IS to replace my 2IS was because I wanted an upgrade, and Lexus has been using literally the same motor with nearly identical specs for over a decade. Otherwise, it was bullet proof reliable and I love the characteristics of a NA motor, and I also happen to think Lexus makes really good looking cars. I didn't get rid of my 2IS because it was getting old.... at 145k miles when people rode in my car they thought I was driving a new car.... I got rid of it because after 8 years I just wanted something new. I will forever have a soft spot for Lexus.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      11-18-2021, 04:24 PM   #158
dblm
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Dreamer View Post
When you look back on all the cars you have owned, any stand out as particularly regretful? About 6 years ago I bought a VW Passat. Not a bad car, it was just incredibly boring...on the drive home I knew I had made a mistake. That was my first "non enthusiast" car...and thankfully, my last. 6 months later I was in a WRX
Before the M2, I had an ILX. I primarily thought it was going to be similar to my previous Civic Si since it had the same engine, most parts (not so much the interior which was a bit nicer). I discounted the fact that it did not have LSD, but then really like the 8 speed DCT it came with during the test drive. After about 2 of days of driving, I realized the Si was quite a better car in every way (handling, acceleration, steering feel, braking, composure, etc). It seems sometimes you get better value and quality (at least in my case) going with the less premium Honda brand. I am not sure if would hold true for Toyota/Lexus or Nissan/Infiniti, etc. The ILX also had some issues with fuel pump which took the dealer some time to figure out before they decided to replace the unit. I never had any issues with the Si.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 04:53 PM   #159
heitzke
Captain
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 base, '04 Cobra

Absolutely. I rushed the purchase of a 2007 GT500 around 5yrs ago and didn't do my due diligence in REALLY inspecting the car closely, doing a PPI, etc and found later that it had been in a horrible accident and repaired poorly.

Only took me 2-3 days to figure it out so i took it back to the dealer and we sorted it out but they ended up having to go after the auction house that sold it and/or the people that fixed it to "buy it back". I ended up losing like 2-3k on the whole deal and then had to buy a whole new car... again.
      11-18-2021, 05:08 PM   #160
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400

I bought this car because:
- It was a really good looking car. And that sparkly blue paint with the chrome wheels - I loved the way it looked.
- The engine was a gem
- Infiniti was basically giving away cars at 20% discounts

Why did I regret it?
- Although I felt the issues with steer-by-wire and the slow transmission during the test drive, I figured I'd get used to it, (Plus it was still way quicker than my outgoing IS350.... and hey, at 20% off that clouded my judgement). 3 years later I still hated the steering and the transmission
- The tech got old FAST. You could argue it was outdated by the time I bought it, but after a couple years it really started to show its age.

Attachment 2733353
Did they get rid of those dual displays in the center console? I remember getting these when they first came out as loaners when I would bring in the EX35. I also rented one in CA for like 2 weeks. I liked the car, but I HATED those screens. It was the only car I had ever driven that gave me a blue screen of death and the screens just shut off.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 07:09 PM   #161
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Did they get rid of those dual displays in the center console? I remember getting these when they first came out as loaners when I would bring in the EX35. I also rented one in CA for like 2 weeks. I liked the car, but I HATED those screens. It was the only car I had ever driven that gave me a blue screen of death and the screens just shut off.
nooope.... still have those. The newest Infiniti models (QX50) are finally just now getting rid of that ridiculous dual screen setup.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 08:09 PM   #162
LaVitaEBella
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

I never regretted buying the vehicles that I have owned over the past few years. If I want an upgrade, I can always add an accessory to it. There are a lot of automotive shops everywhere; 4WheelOnline is my to-go-to shop for a fresh set of wheels and tires.

Last edited by LaVitaEBella; 11-24-2021 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 12:42 AM   #163
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Yeah I didn't "hate" my Q50... there was plenty to like about it. The motor really was incredible and smooth. I just felt like it was held back by a few things (i.e. transmission, steer-by-wire, old tech). Still a good daily driver but I felt like I impulse bought it because I was getting bored of my IS350.

The only reason I didn't go with the 3rd generation IS to replace my 2IS was because I wanted an upgrade, and Lexus has been using literally the same motor with nearly identical specs for over a decade. Otherwise, it was bullet proof reliable and I love the characteristics of a NA motor, and I also happen to think Lexus makes really good looking cars. I didn't get rid of my 2IS because it was getting old.... at 145k miles when people rode in my car they thought I was driving a new car.... I got rid of it because after 8 years I just wanted something new. I will forever have a soft spot for Lexus.
Wow. I had 69k miles on my 2-IS when I sold it. I certainly could have driven many more miles. I loved the car but at the same time some things about it really bothered me. Most notably: irritatingly high seating position, rattling sunroof, top-heavy chassis in tight turns, and lack of power. With used car prices how they are, I felt it was time. But i have no regrets, that was the right car for me at the right time and served me well. Checked off all the boxes for 6 years.

I considered the newest IS350 F sport as the styling is wonderful. But I dislike the dated boy racer-inspired interior design, abundance of plastic in the cabin, and no option for real leather seats. Dealerships were offering a whopping 0% discount as well. The car wasn't great to drive either.

Lexus are an excellent used proposition especially if somebody is looking to keep a car for a while. But new, no way.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317945.00
      11-19-2021, 12:51 AM   #164
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

My brother regrets his 2020 C300 4Matic. He got an excellent deal at the start of the pandemic. Nice looking car but otherwise it has had one quality issue after another. It's been to the dealer a million times. The interior isn't very luxurious either as the MB-tex feels very cheap. Any small RWD-biased sedan will have some good handling character, but otherwise it's a dud to drive.

My parents sort of regret their G05 X5 M Sport. Great all around car, but it's not good to drive. Powertrain is excellent yes, and it handles competently. But even in Sport mode there is zero resistance to the steering, nor is there any road feedback through the wheel. Body motions are poorly controlled, the car feels ponderous and floaty. Unfortunately, it's not like any competitors in that segment are much better. The Cayenne is more buttoned down sure, but it is way more expensive and bland looking. The base V6 is adequate but overall the car isn't exciting. Not worth the price IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 06:54 AM   #165
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
My parents sort of regret their G05 X5 M Sport. Great all around car, but it's not good to drive. Powertrain is excellent yes, and it handles competently. But even in Sport mode there is zero resistance to the steering, nor is there any road feedback through the wheel. Body motions are poorly controlled, the car feels ponderous and floaty. Unfortunately, it's not like any competitors in that segment are much better. The Cayenne is more buttoned down sure, but it is way more expensive and bland looking. The base V6 is adequate but overall the car isn't exciting. Not worth the price IMO.
I'm surprised because I love my g05. The b58 in it is so smooth and pretty potent (quicker than an IS350

It's not an athlete by any means but putting it in sport plus firms it up well and it's more engaging to drive than anything else in the segment (with the exception of the much more expensive Cayenne).

But it isn't really supposed to be an engaging to drive car... it's a very comfortable, well put together luxury SUV. Not sure how much it changes by options (mine is fully loaded at $82k with pretty much every option checked) but I feel it has the best interior this side of a Bentley Bentayga. It's also the quietest car in its segment. It's one of the rare moments I'd say it feels like it's actually worth $80k+

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 07:07 AM   #166
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I too had the 2IS. It was actually a way nicer car than the 3IS in my opinion. My 2IS had every damn option they put in those things. I do miss the ambient lighting. The 2IS if feel like was faster and more responsive. I have to put the current in sport+ to get the same feel. Same on the soft spot for Lexus. I'm considering getting the 500. At this point in life, it isn't about racecar, it's about dependability and getting where I need to be efficiently and quickly.

I do miss the interior of the 2IS. It just seemed classier. I feel like they tried to hard and not enough on the new interior. Those 2IS seats compared to the 3IS versions were night and day, the 2's felt like recliners.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317945.00
      11-19-2021, 07:16 AM   #167
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
E46 M3. I couldn't have despised that car more. Sold it after a month.

S54 had nothing to do with it, my favorite car of all time is the Z4M which I'll drive until the wheels fall off.
I thought the Z4M was a cool car too, I just didn't like the S54. Worst engine ever IMO, shitty sound, no torque.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 07:34 AM   #168
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
I too had the 2IS. It was actually a way nicer car than the 3IS in my opinion. My 2IS had every damn option they put in those things. I do miss the ambient lighting. The 2IS if feel like was faster and more responsive. I have to put the current in sport+ to get the same feel. Same on the soft spot for Lexus. I'm considering getting the 500. At this point in life, it isn't about racecar, it's about dependability and getting where I need to be efficiently and quickly.

I do miss the interior of the 2IS. It just seemed classier. I feel like they tried to hard and not enough on the new interior. Those 2IS seats compared to the 3IS versions were night and day, the 2's felt like recliners.
Agreed on all accounts. The 2IS WAS faster - the main reason for this I believe was since Lexus didn't update their powerplant going into the 3IS, but added features increased the weight in the 3IS, that just naturally meant a slightly slower car.

As for the interior, I also whole heartedly agree. The 2IS had a simple but classy interior, and the 3IS tried too hard to go into this weird realm of aggressive and sporty but for an 80's car. It's like the only thing Lexus trickled down from the LFA was the interior design and none of the tech made its way over.

This was my 2IS interior, and I LOVED it:
Name:  20160917_121720.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  283.3 KB

Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      11-19-2021, 07:55 AM   #169
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Agreed on all accounts. The 2IS WAS faster - the main reason for this I believe was since Lexus didn't update their powerplant going into the 3IS, but added features increased the weight in the 3IS, that just naturally meant a slightly slower car.

As for the interior, I also whole heartedly agree. The 2IS had a simple but classy interior, and the 3IS tried too hard to go into this weird realm of aggressive and sporty but for an 80's car. It's like the only thing Lexus trickled down from the LFA was the interior design and none of the tech made its way over.

Attachment 2746344
Yep! Exactly the same aside from mine being all black. I waited 3 months to buy one to ensure I got the color combo and package that I wanted. Had 3 dealerships tell me I was looking for a unicorn, but I prevailed. Oh how I miss my air conditioned seats. The 3IS only came with them on the cold weather package; go figure.

.....and that little single led in the cup holder was such an awesome touch. People always commented on their water bottle glowing in the cup holder.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317945.00
      11-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #170
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm surprised because I love my g05. The b58 in it is so smooth and pretty potent (quicker than an IS350

It's not an athlete by any means but putting it in sport plus firms it up well and it's more engaging to drive than anything else in the segment (with the exception of the much more expensive Cayenne).

But it isn't really supposed to be an engaging to drive car... it's a very comfortable, well put together luxury SUV. Not sure how much it changes by options (mine is fully loaded at $82k with pretty much every option checked) but I feel it has the best interior this side of a Bentley Bentayga. It's also the quietest car in its segment. It's one of the rare moments I'd say it feels like it's actually worth $80k+
It all depends on one's expectations I suppose. We had multiple X5s in the family before this car, most recently a 2012 X5 M Sport with factory engine and exhaust upgrade. That car was a total tank. The steering was very heavy and for an SUV, you felt like you were driving on rails. There was no guessing as to where the tires were on the road. Absolutely no "floaty" sensation whereas the G05 it feels the body is disconnected from the chassis. I'd say the Macan is a modern interpretation of the E70 X5, but much lighter obviously.

I agree the interior is world class. We have Tartufo Merino leather with the glass controls. Tech is seamless. Very spacious, etc. The X5 is certainly worth the price.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317945.00
      11-19-2021, 11:49 AM   #171
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Attachment 2746344
Mine was black with the dark poplar type of wood trim. I always wanted that classic Lexus brown/orange wood but in my model year that was no longer even an option.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317945.00
      11-19-2021, 12:48 PM   #172
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

f30 335i m sport

my 86 was too buzzy for a highway commute so i bought an f30 thinking it would be a good highway car. i guess it did ok at that... but really wasn't any better than an accord or something like that for just cruising at 70-80mph and handling the occasional pot hole or rough pavement.

as a performance car it was terrible. turbo runs out of steam up top. No diff so trying to have fun / slide made it do weird things. zf8 was terribly slow to respond compared to dct cars i'd had.

sold it after 10 months. bought a f80 6mt and drive a beater civic to work. in the end i figured the depreciation came out to the same this way.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 01:02 PM   #173
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Take the black one instead.
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6040.50
      11-19-2021, 01:25 PM   #174
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Take the black one instead.
haha well... the 458 is painfully hard to drive slow. very short gearing so you're at like 3200 rpm doing 70mph. mine didn't have cruise control (apparently thats an option on a 250k car?). the throttle is so touchy you really have to concentrate to maintain normal road speeds. carbon buckets + loud engine behind you means its vibrating your spine 24/7.

i would take 90 minute drives to my nearest indy shop every year and felt so exhausted afterward.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0