BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      03-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #1
Jims M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M, F80 M3, C7 Z51

Delphi Coil Packs

I just wanted to alert everybody to NOT use the Delphi coil packs as a replacement for the OEM Bosch coils. When I bought my car I put a Mission performance tune on it and replaced the spark plugs and coil packs. Since putting on the Delphi's I had 3 of the 8 coils fail in less than 3 months. I called FCP today and they said only to use the Bosch on this car. Their website actually brings up the Delphi's as the first option.

Just a warning, my car went into severe limp mode with the total failure of these coils. I barely made it home. It also must have put a lot of gas in the cylinder because the car ran like crap for 5-10 miles after replacing but eventually went back to normal.
Appreciate 1
HeyKC101.50
      03-04-2020, 03:38 PM   #2
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Dude, sorry to hear about your troubles, but THANK YOU!
I had these in my shopping cart, about to place my order over the weekend.

Saved me a great deal of headache.
Really appreciate it.

Glad everything worked out for you in the end, though.
- Leo.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 11:29 PM   #3
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims M3 View Post
I just wanted to alert everybody to NOT use the Delphi coil packs as a replacement for the OEM Bosch coils. When I bought my car I put a Mission performance tune on it and replaced the spark plugs and coil packs. Since putting on the Delphi's I had 3 of the 8 coils fail in less than 3 months. I called FCP today and they said only to use the Bosch on this car. Their website actually brings up the Delphi's as the first option.

Just a warning, my car went into severe limp mode with the total failure of these coils. I barely made it home. It also must have put a lot of gas in the cylinder because the car ran like crap for 5-10 miles after replacing but eventually went back to normal.
Indeed.
I’ve put them in one of my X5’s and so far so good, but the box said made in China. Designed in the UK. Since seeing that, I’ve only used Bosch OEM on my other cars. Two sets made in Switzerland, one made in Poland.
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 0