BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      05-31-2019, 04:37 PM   #1
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

RK Autowerks CK intakes

Anyone running the RK Autowerks intake ?
I’m ready to buy this intake so there is an option of Blitz stainless steel mesh filter or K&N style filter , I will get the outer wears (pre filters)regardless to keep possible water out .
Anyone with some knowledge on these filters please let me know what is my best option, I read the Blitz filter doesn’t stop dust as good as K&N ,not really sure how true this is , Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 07:28 PM   #2
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Anyone running the RK Autowerks intake ?
I’m ready to buy this intake so there is an option of Blitz stainless steel mesh filter or K&N style filter , I will get the outer wears (pre filters)regardless to keep possible water out .
Anyone with some knowledge on these filters please let me know what is my best option, I read the Blitz filter doesn’t stop dust as good as K&N ,not really sure how true this is , Thanks
I run the RK CF intake and the blitz filters makes a little more noise than the K&N but does let in dirt/dust. It's a metal mesh filter vs. a paper filter, the paper is going to keep more dust and dirt out of your engine. I don't run the Blitz filters on the intake anymore, just ran them one time for a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 08:36 PM   #3
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
I run the RK CF intake and the blitz filters makes a little more noise than the K&N but does let in dirt/dust. It's a metal mesh filter vs. a paper filter, the paper is going to keep more dust and dirt out of your engine. I don't run the Blitz filters on the intake anymore, just ran them one time for a couple of weeks.
Thanks for confirming that , I would rather keep my engine clean , I have been reading and your not the only one that said this I will stay away, I will get the tried and true K&N filters with the pre filters

Did you do install yourself? It seems pretty straight forward was there any modifying to be done to make it fit ? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 12:06 AM   #4
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

If you're buying it from RK there should be instructions but it's like installing any other CAI. You have to take apart the stock intake boxes, MAF sensors, remove the ducts going to the front grills, remove the grills. I use some grease on the silicon elbows and fold them in half to squeeze it through the ducting paths into the engine bay after installing the filters onto them, then you slide the carbon tubes into the silicone elbows. I use a little grease on those as well so you can pull them apart down the road. Also do not over tighten the MAF screws,just lightly hand tighten and you can use some blue loctite.
Appreciate 1
Whipple260.50
      06-02-2019, 12:27 AM   #5
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks bro , I really appreciate the feedback, thanks for the heads up on the MAF sensor, also putting the filter on the silicone tube fist then installing is a great idea !
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2019, 03:36 PM   #6
E55 Bulldog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Call me crazy but I have been told over and over not to use K&N on turbo cars and trucks. I have had a number of diesel trucks and K&N is a solid NO because they let too much past and it dusts your turbos.
2014 M6 GC
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 06:12 PM   #7
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 Bulldog View Post
Call me crazy but I have been told over and over not to use K&N on turbo cars and trucks. I have had a number of diesel trucks and K&N is a solid NO because they let too much past and it dusts your turbos.
That info is incorrect. K&N uses paper filter media and nothing blocks dust and dirt more than a paper media filter.

The reason you would not want to use a K&N filter is because of the filter oil getting on the MAF sensors and causing issues you could potentially see on a drop in filter that sits close to the MAF sensors. On the cold air intake system the filters sit around 3 feet away from the MAF sensors so it's not something to be worried about, the oil could make it's way up the tube a little but it's not going to reach the sensors. For a drop in filter I would use something like an AFE Pro Dry media filter instead of the blue oiled version.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 08:44 AM   #8
E55 Bulldog
Private
Rep

Quote:
That info is incorrect. K&N uses paper filter media and nothing blocks dust and dirt more than a paper media filter.

The reason you would not want to use a K&N filter is because of the filter oil getting on the MAF sensors and causing issues you could potentially see on a drop in filter that sits close to the MAF sensors. On the cold air intake system the filters sit around 3 feet away from the MAF sensors so it's not something to be worried about, the oil could make it's way up the tube a little but it's not going to reach the sensors. For a drop in filter I would use something like an AFE Pro Dry media filter instead of the blue oiled version.

Maybe things have changes but over the years of having big turbo trucks, K&N was a no-no. There is enough evidence out there that they allow enough particulate through to chew up the blades on a turbo. A quick google search will show it. This is just what I know from years of turbo engines on diesel trucks. Now that forced induction is A LOT more common on cars now, maybe the product has gotten better. I just like to air on the side of caution after rebuilding 2 turbos.
2014 M6 GC
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #9
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Maybe things have changes but over the years of having big turbo trucks, K&N was a no-no. There is enough evidence out there that they allow enough particulate through to chew up the blades on a turbo. A quick google search will show it. This is just what I know from years of turbo engines on diesel trucks. Now that forced induction is A LOT more common on cars now, maybe the product has gotten better. I just like to air on the side of caution after rebuilding 2 turbos.
On A big turbo truck what intake would you use other than a K&N style filter for the best air flow?
Anyway I really think it depends on how your using it , I live in a city area we’re there is barely any dust compared to a dirt road area or a place say Dubai were there is dust storms everywhere
Plus I used K&N on all my cars and never seen any dust get past the filter, K&N has a so called million mile warranty if you can prove the filter caused your damage they will replace your engine .

Can you attach a link of evidence we’re a properly installed K&N filter let enough dirt though to cause catastrophic failure to engine parts ?

My concern was the Blitz filter , it’s a metal mesh no paper no oil style filter I believe that one can let dust through
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #10
E55 Bulldog
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
On A big turbo truck what intake would you use other than a K&N style filter for the best air flow?
Anyway I really think it depends on how your using it , I live in a city area we’re there is barely any dust compared to a dirt road area or a place say Dubai were there is dust storms everywhere
Plus I used K&N on all my cars and never seen any dust get past the filter, K&N has a so called million mile warranty if you can prove the filter caused your damage they will replace your engine .

Can you attach a link of evidence we’re a properly installed K&N filter let enough dirt though to cause catastrophic failure to engine parts ?

My concern was the Blitz filter , it’s a metal mesh no paper no oil style filter I believe that one can let dust through
If I get a min, I will find some details. Like I said, this is just what I have heard over the years and why it keeps me away.

If you google anything a long the lines of 'K&N dusted turbo powerstroke" or dodge, tons of stuff will come up from forum and or google images.
2014 M6 GC
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 03:53 PM   #11
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah but also think of every Skyline, Supra, RX7, 3000GT, Eclipse, etc. all the cars that have been running on forced induction since the 90's were all running K&N or some other variant of paper/oil filter and those cars were all fine running for over 100k miles reliably.
Appreciate 1
Whipple260.50
      06-04-2019, 06:14 PM   #12
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah but also think of every Skyline, Supra, RX7, 3000GT, Eclipse, etc. all the cars that have been running on forced induction since the 90's were all running K&N or some other variant of paper/oil filter and those cars were all fine running for over 100k miles reliably.
Yeah good point ! This is very true, I also believe some muscle cars , Demon , Roush, Shelby, etc those cars come factory with a K&N style filter
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2019, 12:02 PM   #13
E55 Bulldog
Private
Rep

Im right there with you. Im not sure why or why not this is happening. Could be some of these trucks are 200k mile trucks. All Im saying is it made me nervous over the years.

With that said, Ill be looking for intake insight on the M6 soon.
2014 M6 GC
Appreciate 0