BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

08-24-2019, 04:01 PM   #1
shagler
Private
Rep
Drives: M850i

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
New UniChip Wireless CarPlay installed.

There have been a lot of threads here about CarPlay retrofits for BMW 6-Series (I think this solution works on other series as well). Mine happens to be a 2014 with CIC-NBT w/ 10.2" display.

I had decided to pull the trigger on a CarPlay retrofit and felt that the UniChip solution was popular. When I started to engage with UniChip, they told me that they now had a wireless solution. I traded messages back and forth with them for over a week trying to get the details of this new solution. Below is what they eventually sent me.

Main Features
  • Support Carplay, AndroidAuto function
  • Support both wired and bluetooth wireless connect Carplay function
  • Support USB play media
  • Support USB charging
  • Support backup rear camera, can be used as camera interface
  • Support Command / Siri voice control
  • Plug & play installation, no need to cut cable or disassemble original screen

Note: I am not sure that "wired" is possible for CarPlay as described. I asked support and they came back with: "USB port will be supporting charging and USB HD video. also the future upgrade via USB." I can confirm that it does charge via their USB.

I went ahead and made the purchase ($465 all in). I was very surpised that it only took about 4 days for the package to arrive. I did the install, which is very similar to the numerous videos that have been posted. After connecting everything, I could tell that the unit was switching from iDrive via long-press on number 8 preset button (heard a click in the unit), but all I had was a black screen.

After a couple of exchanges with their support, I was sent an update and correct config file for my car. Installation was simply connecting a USB Thumb drive with the files that had been sent and then allowing the car to sleep before starting up again. This time I had their menu screen that allowed me to connect my iPhone via Bluetooth and get everything set up.

A note about UniChip-Tec.com support: I think they are located in Hong Kong, so don't expect fast responses unless it is during the week and daylight hours in Hong Kong. Email works, I also engaged them via WhatsApp on Friday night Dallas time and actually got a person (Gary) to start to help me. He ended up sending me the update via email on Saturday morning Dallas time.

I have to say, I am very pleasantly surprised at the audio quality. I had not been able to get anyone from UniChip to truly tell me specifically how the wireless connection works, but I can now tell after setting everything up. Essentially, your iPhone connects via Bluetooth and then creates a WiFi connection to UniChip. I don't know if the protocol is AirPlay, but I see a WiFi connection to UniChip, LTE still works so I have full internet. I cannot tell difference between this connection and the direct wired connection I had been using with iDrive. BTW, I could easily tell the difference between being connected to iDrive via Bluetooth vs. wired (lightning cable). Wired was much better and the UniChip solution matches it.

It does have a separate microphone, but I mounted to the middle vanity light housing and I'm satisfied. Siri works very well.

I made a video showing this running in my car. You will see that I am using IOS 13 Beta, so you see the new "dual-pane dashboard"...Very happy!

Feel free to ask questions...

Steven
Appreciate 2
iamvanja167.00
jjasonSU194.00
      08-24-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagler View Post
There have been a lot of threads here about CarPlay retrofits for BMW 6-Series (I think this solution works on other series as well). Mine happens to be a 2014 with CIC-NBT w/ 10.2" display.

I had decided to pull the trigger on a CarPlay retrofit and felt that the UniChip solution was popular. When I started to engage with UniChip, they told me that they now had a wireless solution. I traded messages back and forth with them for over a week trying to get the details of this new solution. Below is what they eventually sent me.

Main Features
  • Support USB play media
  • Support USB charging

Note: I am not sure that "wired" is possible for CarPlay as described. I asked support and they came back with: "USB port will be supporting charging and USB HD video. also the future upgrade via USB." I can confirm that it does charge via their USB.

I went ahead and made the purchase ($465 all in). I was very surpised that it only took about 4 days for the package to arrive. I did the install, which is very similar to the numerous videos that have been posted. After connecting everything, I could tell that the unit was switching from iDrive via long-press on number 8 preset button (heard a click in the unit), but all I had was a black screen.

After a couple of exchanges with their support, I was sent an update and correct config file for my car. Installation was simply connecting a USB Thumb drive with the files that had been sent and then allowing the car to sleep before starting up again. This time I had their menu screen that allowed me to connect my iPhone via Bluetooth and get everything set up.

A note about UniChip-Tec.com support: I think they are located in Hong Kong, so don't expect fast responses unless it is during the week and daylight hours in Hong Kong. Email works, I also engaged them via WhatsApp on Friday night Dallas time and actually got a person (Gary) to start to help me. He ended up sending me the update via email on Saturday morning Dallas time.

I have to say, I am very pleasantly surprised at the audio quality. I had not been able to get anyone from UniChip to truly tell me specifically how the wireless connection works, but I can now tell after setting everything up. Essentially, your iPhone connects via Bluetooth and then creates a WiFi connection to UniChip. I don't know if the protocol is AirPlay, but I see a WiFi connection to UniChip, LTE still works so I have full internet. I cannot tell difference between this connection and the direct wired connection I had been using with iDrive. BTW, I could easily tell the difference between being connected to iDrive via Bluetooth vs. wired (lightning cable). Wired was much better and the UniChip solution matches it.

It does have a separate microphone, but I mounted to the middle vanity light housing and I'm satisfied. Siri works very well.

I made a video showing this running in my car. You will see that I am using IOS 13 Beta, so you see the new "dual-pane dashboard"...Very happy!

Steven
Looks pretty good! But do you have to have your phone on the dash like that? Is it possible to do everything via voice command through the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 10:39 PM   #3
shagler
Private
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
Looks pretty good! But do you have to have your phone on the dash like that? Is it possible to do everything via voice command through the car?
Phone can be anywhere...I just placed it on top of temp control so that the screen could be seen. I believe that iOS 13 introduced the ability to use the phone without CarPlay completely taking over. I have the Apple silicon case and usually just place my phone on top of closed cup holder. I also built a small charging stand inside cup holder allowing me to open cup holder and place phone on charger. Either way works fine with this solution.

Voice command is essentially through provided microphone to UniChip box and then wirelessly back to phone via CarPlay “protocol”.

S
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 12:48 AM   #4
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:

Main Features
  • Support USB play media
  • Support USB charging

Steven
Great job. Any chance you could get your hands on an Android phone and do a video of Android Auto...please?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 06:31 AM   #5
shagler
Private
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Great job. Any chance you could get your hands on an Android phone and do a video of Android Auto...please?
Unlikely, at least anytime soon. I have two very old Android devices (Galaxy S III and older HP Android tablet), but I think they are so old that Android auto may not be available. I am also traveling for the week, so anything would have to be later in the week.

I can ask UniChip if they have any videos that can be shared with Android Auto working on this device.

Steven
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 07:05 AM   #6
shagler
Private
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
I can ask UniChip if they have any videos that can be shared with Android Auto working on this device.

Steven
Gary from UniChip just "WhatsApp-ed" me some video clips. I have combined them into a short video and posted on YouTube. I have zero information associated with this video and can't really answer any questions about it. However, there are at least some visuals.

Steven
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 09:07 AM   #7
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
Phone can be anywhere...I just placed it on top of temp control so that the screen could be seen. I believe that iOS 13 introduced the ability to use the phone without CarPlay completely taking over. I have the Apple silicon case and usually just place my phone on top of closed cup holder. I also built a small charging stand inside cup holder allowing me to open cup holder and place phone on charger. Either way works fine with this solution.

Voice command is essentially through provided microphone to UniChip box and then wirelessly back to phone via CarPlay “protocol”.

S
Thanks, man!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #8
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Gary from UniChip just "WhatsApp-ed" me some video clips. I have combined them into a short video and posted on YouTube. I have zero information associated with this video and can't really answer any questions about it. However, there are at least some visuals.

Steven
Thank you so much! Video shows that Android Auto runs in proper widescreen mode, which is exactly what I needed to know!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 09:19 PM   #9
doggboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

The video on the website has them removing the NBT HU, but they don't show it being re-installed. Is this a replacement for the NBT, or just an add-on? Do you lose any of the factory features?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 12:12 AM   #10
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggboy View Post
The video on the website has them removing the NBT HU, but they don't show it being re-installed. Is this a replacement for the NBT, or just an add-on? Do you lose any of the factory features?
It's an add-on. You retain all factory functions.
Appreciate 1
doggboy877.50
      08-30-2019, 04:13 PM   #11
brightsons
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i GC

Do you have a link to the exact one you bought? I tried looking on their website but not having much luck for a 2013 650i GC (CIC).
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 07:39 AM   #12
shagler
Private
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsons View Post
Do you have a link to the exact one you bought? I tried looking on their website but not having much luck for a 2013 650i GC (CIC).
In my experience, you had to engage them via Chat or Email in order to get to the right unit. Instead of a traditional order form, they worked with you to make sure the unit was the right one for your generation iDrive as well as screen config and then sent an invoice. That invoice was what I used to place my order.

Also, in my exchanges, they indicated that this wireless unit was brand new and wasn't well represented on their website. That is the main reason I started this thread so that others could get access to the information that I was able to get from them.

Hope this helps...

BTW...I am still very happy with the unit. It would be nice if there was an option somewhere to have iDrive start up with their interface (CarPlay) rather than pressing #8 every time I get in the car. Anyone have any pointers?

Steven
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 10:08 PM   #13
brightsons
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i GC

Quote:
In my experience, you had to engage them via Chat or Email in order to get to the right unit. Instead of a traditional order form, they worked with you to make sure the unit was the right one for your generation iDrive as well as screen config and then sent an invoice. That invoice was what I used to place my order.

Also, in my exchanges, they indicated that this wireless unit was brand new and wasn't well represented on their website. That is the main reason I started this thread so that others could get access to the information that I was able to get from them.

Hope this helps...

BTW...I am still very happy with the unit. It would be nice if there was an option somewhere to have iDrive start up with their interface (CarPlay) rather than pressing #8 every time I get in the car. Anyone have any pointers?

Steven
Thanks, I'll probably reach out to them in a month or 2.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 09:29 PM   #14
doggboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsons View Post
Thanks, I'll probably reach out to them in a month or 2.
I actually already reached out to them for the exact same thing. I have a 2013 as well and i am looking for wireless andriod auto, but i believe one unit does both andriod an Apple. I will post what info I get.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 05:22 PM   #15
Duff Ace
Adam
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lusso, GT3, 360, Vaquish, bike

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggboy View Post
I actually already reached out to them for the exact same thing. I have a 2013 as well and i am looking for wireless andriod auto, but i believe one unit does both andriod an Apple. I will post what info I get.
Look forward to this. I have a 2014 with nbt and update screen. Would love to have android auto
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #16
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

Thanks for posting this shagler!
It does not seem to be laggy at all. Have you encountered any bugs? Is the connection over BT? I know BMW's implementations uses also wifi.
How is your battery life?

Considering upgrading from a wired UniChip. Wireless seems great for short trips.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 07:45 AM   #17
shagler
Private
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post
Thanks for posting this shagler!
It does not seem to be laggy at all. Have you encountered any bugs? Is the connection over BT? I know BMW's implementations uses also wifi.
How is your battery life?

Considering upgrading from a wired UniChip. Wireless seems great for short trips.
Correct, I do not feel that the system is laggy at all...nice and smooth and responsive. I am sure there are others that could better explain the connection, but it is my impression that it is Bluetooth between iPhone and UniChip to start everything, but then communications between the devices is via WiFi as I tried to explain in the first post. BTW, I had an exchange with UniChip yesterday and was told an update is coming soon to make the bluetooth even quicker to connect....something that I had not noticed as a problem. I am quite pleased though that they are continuing to improve things and will offer updates via USB.

A couple of things: If you do install, I would recommend that you do so in a manner that allows you to gain (relatively) easy access to the USB dongle. I have the USB dongle from the UniChip behind the side panel of the console. One screw at the front and I can gain access easily. Additionally, I have been happy that UniChip has checked in with me a couple of times. I had connected to them via WhatsApp and have had a couple of messages simply asking how things were going...which allowed me to ask some questions about updates, etc.

To the other question...I have not noticed any bugs. Considering that I am on IOS 13 Beta and the UniChip is brand new, I am pleased.

As far as battery life...I have not noticed anything negative about battery. Since this is similar (I believe) to the Apple approach to CarPlay, I would doubt that there would be problems. I also have a lightning connector mounted inside the cupholder. It was done using parts from a TwelveSouth HiRise iPhone dock...The end result is I can drop my iPhone onto the lightning and it stands vertically at the console level. When the cupholder door is closed you see nothing. Because of this, I tend to just drop my iPhone on the dock whenever I am in the car for any length of time.

Feel free to keep asking questions...happy to help if I can.

S
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #18
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

Great, very happy to hear about your positive experience! My wired UniChip worked perfectly, although Android Auto was not full screen last time I checked. I *assume* this is more on the Android end than the box end.
Running iOS 13 beta too!

How long does it usually take for the BT connection to be established when you get in the car?

I came up with a pretty nice way to have access to the USB connector while installing my (wired) UniChip box. Obviously, being wired, having access to it was more important than it is to you with a wireless one. The female USB connector stops by the driver center console where USB extensions cable is plugged. That cable is then routed under the side plastic of the center console into the armrest exposing the cable slightly (from the side plastic end into the armrest). Inside the armrest, the USB connector is fixed with a double sided table. Used a short lightning cable to keep the phone inside the amr rest and discourage myself from reaching for a phone while driving, but during Phoenix summers I've learned that the phone has to be outside the armrest, unless I want my phone to shut down for being overheated (!!!). Anyway, if somebody is interested, I can post photos.

I like how you mount your phone on the dash in the video. How did you do that? I don't see anything on your dash. Do you stick something to the back of your phone?

Contacted UniChip to see if I could maybe update my existing box (hoping the hardware might be same).

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #19
shagler
Private
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post

I like how you mount your phone on the dash in the video. How did you do that? I don't see anything on your dash. Do you stick something to the back of your phone?

Cheers!
Simply the magic of gravity. Since I video-ed this while not moving, I simply placed it on top of the passenger temperature control. I have an Apple Silicone case on my iPhone, so it naturally has a bit of grip to it. Even the slightest bump would have knocked it off...I did this so that the video would show both screens.

I usually just lay the iPhone flat on top of the closed cup holder (the silicone case is grippy enough to generally hold it in place) or I place the phone onto the lightning connector dock I described earlier.

S
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 06:25 PM   #20
shagler
Private
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
.... or I place the phone onto the lightning connector dock I described earlier.

S
Since I've described it a couple of times, I thought I would add a photo. The top part of the dock is from and old Twelve South HiRise and I simply added two small spacers below before screwing in a couple of small screws from the bottom of the cupholder into the dock. I also painted the dock from it's original aluminum to black. The photo shows it isn't a great job, but it's normally so dark down there that I haven't noticed.

Lastly, I had a couple of plastic curved L-brackets that I salvaged from an old iPhone holder and double-sticky taped them to the underside of the lid. This simply keeps the iPhone from moving side-to-side. They are backwards from their original use (rubber part is normally towards the phone), but I liked making it easy to mount the phone and the curves, together with my silicone case, work great.

For those curious, nothing changed with the lid, so it works normally and is usually shut when I don't have my phone charging. Also, the cupholders still work except for the fact that the L-brackets cause whatever is in the cupholder to lean forward...I am sure that I could change the L-brackets to something else and fix that part, but since I really never use the cupholders, it hasn't mattered.

S
Attached Images

Last edited by shagler; 09-05-2019 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 12:28 AM   #21
doggboy
Lieutenant
Rep

So after several emails with UniChip they dont have a wireless andriod auto option for our cars yet. The one OP bought does wireless CarPlay and wired Andriod Auto. They are hoping to have the wireless Android Auto out end of October.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 07:46 AM   #22
shagler
Private
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
BTW, I had an exchange with UniChip yesterday and was told an update is coming soon to make the bluetooth even quicker to connect....something that I had not noticed as a problem. I am quite pleased though that they are continuing to improve things and will offer updates via USB.

S
Just to follow up on this, I received an email from Gary @ UniChip overnight and it had instructions to download and install this update. Here is the direct quote from the email: "...enhanced the wireless carplay bluetooth connection speed in 2 seconds.".

I have successfully installed the update and will see if I notice a difference in start up speed.

S
Appreciate 0