10-31-2020, 06:25 AM   #1
PixelVogue
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

640d buying guide?

Hi guys,

looking to get a 640D around £10-15k which seem to be around the 50k+ miles, are there any major issues to look out for/recalls that have been done so far just seen the EGR one.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 07:10 AM   #2
easty027
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 640D MSPORT

Ive recently bought a 640D, (2016 build) 2017 registered. I watched almost every review on youtube and read all of the reviews online. I didnt really come across one that was negative, they all said they are a great car. Turns out they were right, its an amazing piece of kit. How it remains so economicial is beyond me, its a great mix of performance, comfort and economy !

I would push for the LCI model if you can as i personally think the slight differences are worth it. I suppose it will come down to what options you want as well. Like all cars there are some you can easily live without and some not so.

Good luck with the search. And yes to the EGR, mine had the recall done at the BMW service before i collected it so i had the piece of mind.
      10-31-2020, 07:17 AM   #3
PixelVogue
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks mate, yeah will try and get an LCI one. I like the digital dash compared to the analogue dials. Will see what is about.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 01:53 AM   #4
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

get one and dont hinge on facelift,,i love mine £81k when new bought in march with 78k miles,,bang and olufsen etc...one thing i will say,,get gearbox serviced,,had mine booked in before i collected the car,,2012 car m sport,,now remapped by jason from bwchiptune,,paid £13k
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 08:03 AM   #5
easty027
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelVogue View Post
Thanks mate, yeah will try and get an LCI one. I like the digital dash compared to the analogue dials. Will see what is about.
Personally, i love the digital dash and it does make it feel a bit more modern.

One other thing i forgot to mention in my previous post, the ASD (Active Sound Design) can be played around with either carly or bimmercode and its actually quite good !. I always have people comment on how good the car sounds.

Yes, some people hate it and i know its piped in but even so, ive been subjected to some 4cyl diesels as my commuting cars over the past few years so for me its a very welcomed tone !

In addition to that there are some really nice tweaks you can do using the same coding method which i also think are worthwhile.
      11-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #6
PixelVogue
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Would love the B&O speaker system but finding one in budget will be a mission, also a imola red......lol
Don't really want to retro fit bits to the car but may have to make some compromises somewhere.

I have an Alpine White E63 M6 so don't really want another white car, keeping them cleaning is a pain in the arse with my OCD lol
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 12:22 PM   #7
BmwF06Ireland
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f06

I bought a 640d last year from bmw in UK. Options I wanted and got was a pan roof, surround view heads up display , black comfort seats . Parking would be hell without at least the rear view camera, its a big big car.

I really wanted the active suspension but could not get all the options.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 04:31 AM   #8
easty027
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwF06Ireland View Post
I bought a 640d last year from bmw in UK. Options I wanted and got was a pan roof, surround view heads up display , black comfort seats . Parking would be hell without at least the rear view camera, its a big big car.

I really wanted the active suspension but could not get all the options.
I feel your pain. Its the pitfalls of buying used although you get an absolute bargain in terms of depreciation so its a good trade off !

I have always waited and waited until i can find a car with all the options i want, but then my impatience gets the better of me and i settle on a good balance of age, condition, SH and options.

Funnily enough, i wanted a car without the surround view this time as i had it on my 730d msport, and a month or two in, two cameras failed, its was a hassle i didnt need. I ended up with soft close (could live without), Harmon Kardon (its good enough although i love b&o products and its a rare option) HUD (a must) 20" alloys (again its a big car and needs them), reverse cam (a must) and ambient lighting (waste of time as its shi*). Ive probably missed a few bits but i think that covers the main points.

Last edited by easty027; 11-03-2020 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
DMike1.50
      11-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #9
DMike
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i

I was lucky when pricing of diesels plummeted in Germany and found a couple of years ago a barely used, 5000km, BMW company owned F13 640dx, priced really low (60% from new). It was loaded with almost every option available, except night vision and B&O. Some of these options are probably standard in the US, but over here we pay for each of them.

If I were to buy one again, some that I’d definitely want:
HUD
Comfort seats w/ lumbar support
Navigation
HK (it’s OK)
Surround view and PDC front & rear (big car, don’t want scuff marks)
Adaptive LED
Pan roof
Dynamic dampers and active suspension
Speed limit info
Heated seats and steering wheel, park heater w/ remote control
Alarm

These make it feel special:
Soft close doors
20” 356s
Driving assistant plus, active cruise control, lane change warning
Keyless entry
Leather dash
Garage opener

...and these I could do without:
Ambient light
DAB (does not work in Finland)
Concierce service (not supported in Finland)
Internet (sloooow)
RTI (does not work in Finland)
...and all other BMW software, none of them really useful. I prefer to use my phone instead.

Feeling really spoiled with this car. Unfortunately our local BMW does not support many of the German net services or want an annual fee for them so they are mostly useless over here - Local wants to sell bread and butter BMWs, with no services, instead. And my wife’s Volvo really excels over BMW in that area
Appreciate 0