BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-24-2020, 05:37 PM   #1
ep3
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i and 14 M6

NBT Issues - Options?

Is it just me or is the the NBT ( Not Evo ) Headunit a pile of garbage? I have had nothing but issue after issue with this thing...especially with USB and Spotify integration. A few things I have noticed.

1. Pressing the media button automatically defaults to CD player and never remembers the last setting. Even if no CD in the player, it will select it. If my last source was "external device" and I press media, bam back on CD.

2. Continual issues with the USB port and phone freaking out. USB port doesn't have enough power to charge the phone and it cycles off/on continually, yet you need the USB port and cable for Spotify integration. ( lots of threads on this ) Sometimes, the spotify handshake will work, but rarely. If it connects, you can't lock your phone screen or it kills the connection ( could be a spotify bug )

3. Trying to use bluetooth, the car will automatically sync up and open my latest form of media and un pause and play it. even if the app is closed. This could be partially an apple thing too, but I haven't found a fix.

I've got the latest firmware and all of that too. Tried numerous USB cables, etc. It just seems every corner is an issue with this thing. On the newer loaners with carplay, I haven't experienced this all all. I feel like the CCC in my 335 is more usable at this point. It's frustrating we have all of this technology and it barely works. I tried to call the Genius folks today and was told since my car isn't a 2016 or newer they couldn't help and I need to take it to a dealership for diagnosis....

Anyways....has anyone retrofitted an evo or anything aftermarket and had success ? Trying to sort out my options before I decide on the next steps.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 08:13 PM   #2
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

I have this installed https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category...y-mmi-retrofit

I use Android auto wirelessly. Works pretty well, has issues sometimes. Used Waze for nav on my latest road trip.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 1
ep322.50