BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-26-2020, 04:07 PM   #1
x-tech7
Private
Rep
Drives: Mazda CX5, 2017 M6 coupe

Enginge knocking

Hi guys,
So today I got the dreading drive train malfunciton. Car wouldn't shift properly. Pulled over and stop the car and restarted it. It cleared and was running normally. Then when I drove it under M1 setting , the engine was knocking and shortly after, got the high temp. warning light. Overheating i guess. Car is a 2017 M6 coupe with about 53500 miles. Bought it used. Just changed oil about 300 miles ago.
Any body have any ideas or a reputable shop in the Walnut Creek, Ca area?
I'm so bummed. Car was so fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 04:31 PM   #2
Bullish657
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Check each spark plug for oil in cylinders... i got the drivetrain malfunction two weeks after buying my F10 M5.... needed new valve gaskets and cats as a result of the oil burn. Thankfully mine is under warranty, would have been $7k otherwise
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 08:35 PM   #3
x-tech7
Private
Rep

yes I have a video of it, but how do I upload it from my iPhone? Also, is there a difference between a spun bearing vs. rod bearings?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 02:50 PM   #4
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-tech7 View Post
Hi guys,
So today I got the dreading drive train malfunciton. Car wouldn't shift properly. Pulled over and stop the car and restarted it. It cleared and was running normally. Then when I drove it under M1 setting , the engine was knocking and shortly after, got the high temp. warning light. Overheating i guess. Car is a 2017 M6 coupe with about 53500 miles. Bought it used. Just changed oil about 300 miles ago.
Any body have any ideas or a reputable shop in the Walnut Creek, Ca area?
I'm so bummed. Car was so fun.

Very sorry to hear about the trouble. Sounds very similar to what just happened to me a few months ago, right down to the had just changed the oil recently with just a few hundred miles on the change. Below is a link from my experience.

I can't say enough about the folks at RKAutowerks all the way through the process. They are absolutely the best and the most cost permissive solution out there. I'd be happy to chat with you about my car and what was done but I highly encourage you to call Mike or Raza. There is no hard selling and they will make every effort to educate you.

Send me a DM with your number if ya want to chat.

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1729078
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      08-01-2020, 09:40 PM   #5
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Hey X-Tech7 adding this video here you shared with me, if ya want me to remove it I will gladly do so. This video is here to help others that might not know what a spun rod bearing might sound like. If you own an M5/M6 please seek the consult of an indy shop well qualified to work on M cars that can do a repair for your with good bearings before you end up needing a full engine rebuild. I can't take credit for the video but will say it sounds exactly like what I heard the night my engine ate itself while on a causal drive to take the love of my life our for her bday dinner with a group of good friends.

Sometime regular oil changes are not enough and in my case regular changes and rod bearing service by the dealer did nothing to stop the engine from dinning before my wife and I did.

2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 3
      08-02-2020, 12:37 AM   #6
x-tech7
Private
Rep

Thanks TinCanSailor! I couldn't figure out to post it to share to the community. Hope this will give some insights to our cars and problems that may arise.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2020, 12:27 PM   #7
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Sometime regular oil changes are not enough and in my case regular changes and rod bearing service by the dealer did nothing to stop the engine from dinning before my wife and I did.
So you had gone in and replaced your bearings as a preventative measure and you still encountered a failure?
      08-02-2020, 03:37 PM   #8
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post
So you had gone in and replaced your bearings as a preventative measure and you still encountered a failure?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 04:29 PM   #9
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
I think I seen a post awhile ago not sure it was him but his original rod bearings failed and BMW replaced the bearings for him under warranty ,Im sure they used the same crap that comes in there ,so he failed a second time but that engine seemed to be doomed from the beginning ,they make better aftermarket bearings for this engine I think King bearing is one of them
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 2
      08-02-2020, 06:37 PM   #10
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
I think I seen a post awhile ago not sure it was him but his original rod bearings failed and BMW replaced the bearings for him under warranty ,Im sure they used the same crap that comes in there ,so he failed a second time but that engine seemed to be doomed from the beginning ,they make better aftermarket bearings for this engine I think King bearing is one of them
So this indicates the root cause of the bearing failures is likely not the bearings, and more so not the oil... Did they replace the oil pump when they did the bearings? If not, I wonder if there is an internal casting issue causing restricted oil flow to the bearings? Or machining issues with the journals. Or crank isn't straight... Same block, failed bearings twice??? That is ridiculously suspicious.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 08:11 AM   #11
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Correct, my rod bearings had been done previously by the dealer under warranty and oil changes were done at an interval of approximately 7500 miles. I had just recently had an oil change performed before the bearings seized.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2020, 08:48 AM   #12
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Correct, my rod bearings had been done previously by the dealer under warranty and oil changes were done at an interval of approximately 7500 miles. I had just recently had an oil change performed before the bearings seized.
Yep, this is clearly not a bearing material issue or an oil qty/type issue. I'm leaning towards machining defect on crank or rod journals. More likely rods, as if BMW knows about the root cause and it was *just* a crank problem that is actually a fairly easy fix vs replacing rods. (drop bottom of motor vs full engine pull).

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:11 AM   #13
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Quote:
For what its worth, and prob not much lol, my indy says 3k mile changes - TOPS. No clue if needed or not but im sticking to it
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2020, 03:18 PM   #14
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
For what its worth, and prob not much lol, my indy says 3k mile changes - TOPS. No clue if needed or not but im sticking to it
I will likely do more frequent changes. Crazy how our N63 powered 550 has done just fine with the service interval, well other than having to add oil due to consumption. Now that we are over 100k miles on the 550 and I have some Rennstands from Safe Jack I'll likely just start changing them both at 3k.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 11:49 PM   #15
x-tech7
Private
Rep

Well it's finally back from RK Autowerks! Had the car for about two weeks now. The guys over at RK really took care of me from start to finish especially Mike. He made all the arrangements from shipping the car to even filling the freon from the dealer. Even though RK was busy with other more monstrous project builds, Mike always kept me up to date with my rebuild with pictures and always answered any questions I had along the way. They were even working on my car on Sundays! That's commitment and dedication to their customers. I wanted to add the charge coolers last minute and even though he didn't have any on stock, Mike somehow made it happen in time. I could not be more happier with their workmanship. I did also add their Stage 1 tune . The car's power seems limitless. What I mean by that is that it once you press the pedal,the power comes instantaneously. There is no hesitation even at efficient and comfort settings. The car just wants to be pushed. Now I really can't compare to other cars out there, but it's pretty fast too me . Definitely feels way more responsive. As unfortunately as it is about my engine failure, I am also fortunate to have it rebuilt by RK Autowerks. They have done a phenomenal job. Also a big thanks to Tincan Sailor for his advice and wisdom. I hope your M6's never has a total engine failure, but if you do need a rebuild, please look no further than RK Autowerks. Mike will take care of your car the right way. It truly was a stress free experience. If you do have your car shipped to them, be aware there may be different prices to and back. This is no fault of RK Autowerks, but I assumed it be the same round trip. Sorry for the long winded post, but I can't help express my gratitude for Mike and the crew at RK Autowerks.
Appreciate 3
HeyKC101.50
MMMM6GC275.00
      11-04-2020, 07:21 AM   #16
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-tech7 View Post
Well it's finally back from RK Autowerks! Had the car for about two weeks now. The guys over at RK really took care of me from start to finish especially Mike. He made all the arrangements from shipping the car to even filling the freon from the dealer. Even though RK was busy with other more monstrous project builds, Mike always kept me up to date with my rebuild with pictures and always answered any questions I had along the way. They were even working on my car on Sundays! That's commitment and dedication to their customers. I wanted to add the charge coolers last minute and even though he didn't have any on stock, Mike somehow made it happen in time. I could not be more happier with their workmanship. I did also add their Stage 1 tune . The car's power seems limitless. What I mean by that is that it once you press the pedal,the power comes instantaneously. There is no hesitation even at efficient and comfort settings. The car just wants to be pushed. Now I really can't compare to other cars out there, but it's pretty fast too me . Definitely feels way more responsive. As unfortunately as it is about my engine failure, I am also fortunate to have it rebuilt by RK Autowerks. They have done a phenomenal job. Also a big thanks to Tincan Sailor for his advice and wisdom. I hope your M6's never has a total engine failure, but if you do need a rebuild, please look no further than RK Autowerks. Mike will take care of your car the right way. It truly was a stress free experience. If you do have your car shipped to them, be aware there may be different prices to and back. This is no fault of RK Autowerks, but I assumed it be the same round trip. Sorry for the long winded post, but I can't help express my gratitude for Mike and the crew at RK Autowerks.
Man that is great news! I couldn't agree more, as unfortunate as it was to happen I am thankful I found RK, Mike and the RK Autowerks team as they do have some very passionate behind the scenes folks. The team worked on my car night and day and were kind enought to meet me in the pouring rain on Sunday to help load it up on my auto trailer. Plus I got to make a friend with you sir and looking for to an eventual meet up next year. Wishing ya many more years of safe driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 03:20 PM   #17
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

I watched this vid from Evolve a BMW performance shop in the UK,they flew down Raza to build the forged 1000hp engines from Rk Autowerks
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2020, 08:06 PM   #18
x-tech7
Private
Rep

Yes, both Evolve and RK Autowerks are both amazing. A testament of their knowledge and skills.
Appreciate 1
Whipple260.50
      01-17-2021, 08:56 PM   #19
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Hey x-tech; I hope all is well brother. checking in on the engine break-in. Got your package and can't thank ya enough. I have been wanting to get a set esp having carbon ceramic brakes. I can't wait to get home and put them to work.
Appreciate 0