BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-04-2020, 12:33 PM   #1
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Battery Charging AGM V Lithium

hello all,

i put my battery on trickle charge today, I am little confused at the intructions on the trickle charger, they state, that the lithium option needs to be selected for vehicles with battery management system which our cars have, however the battery is an AGM variant upon checking.

I have selected the lithium option and its been charging for a couple of hours.

Should I switch to AGM type or leave as lithium, does it make a difference in any way, whats the effect of charging an AGM battery using the lithium setting ??

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 03:54 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I would select the trickle charging setting that applies to the type of battery that I’m charging. If your main battery is an AGM battery...that’s what I would select on my charger.

And hopefully you’re using the correct jump start terminals in the engine bay that were designed to be used for trickle charging. Some f06/f12/f13 owners sometimes incorrectly select a random bolt for ground (which ends up not being a good ground) and charging attempts fail. So make sure you’re using the correct negative grounding bolt/pin that is located in the front corner of the engine bay (see pics below of the M6/650i/640i).
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2020, 04:18 PM   #3
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

thanks thats what I have done re terminal points , i changed setting to AGM

on another note the charger is stating on 25% charged whilst my tracker app is reporting a voltage of 13.1volts, the tracker measures voltage drop for obvious reasons, how come we have such difference
Appreciate 0