BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

02-06-2022, 04:46 PM   #1
Foecartel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 F06

I have plans on building my next M6 with forged internals and Upgrading everything else i can. Will a high milage M6 (85k) matter if im building the engine vs a lower milage (45k) ?
I found the perfect M6 im looking for except its 2014 and doesn't have the LCI upgrades the 2016+ have but its not a dealbreaker. It has 85k miles and it has all the features im looking for (GC, competition, B&O, executive, drive assist, extended beige leather) all for $40k and the same dealer has a 2013 coupe with only executive and drive assist, no competition no GC no B&O but it only has 45k miles for $4k more. The 2014 m6 has limited carfax history maybe owners did oil changes themselves? While the 2013 has virtually no reports and both cars has had 4 owners, kind of a lot for the 45k mile one and both came from an auction. Which would you go with if any to later build it to make 1000+hp?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 09:15 PM   #2
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
The number of owners doesn't really concern me as you could have had some folks get into the car but didn't have their money in the right place to pay for dealer services and lacked the ability or space to work on it on their own. The lack of journaled oil changes might be self care but it very well could have been neglect. I learned that even the best kept car still had a surprise.

I bought a high mileage, approx 82k miles, m6gc with everything except rear ent sys. It was a no accident, 1 owner, locally owned, lots of dealer service records to include already having rod bearings replaced and the car looked and smell brand new.

I paid $32k and the bearings seized about4 months later. I didn't expect to have that happen but I knew the issues with the S85 so I wasn't fully surprised by it. That said my wife's F10 N63 has about 130k miles and only issue has been oil consumption so it did hit me very unexpectedly. I sent the car to RKautowerks for the stock rebuild and couldn't be happier and financially I still feel like I am in a good place with the car.

It sounds like you have project plans for the cart and know what to expect in terms of ownership experience. My suggestion would be that before yo buy the car find out if they will sell an aftermarket warranty and find out who the warranty company is, check with you local indy shop to see if they have worked with that company before and if so have they had positive experiences. Pay an indy shop to do a PPI, pay them to change the oil to look for metal in the old oil and filter. Look for signs that it has been moded, not that all mods are bad and end in engine failure but could help set your expectations for engine life.

I guess all of to say just make sure you have plans for the risks. Do google searches for the vins. Dig through google images and see if you can find a details that might indicate damage, rebuilds and such. Often times you'll stumble on some old auction photos that could help.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 2
      02-07-2022, 08:53 AM   #3
HeyKC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

I would choose the car that has the options you want. On a project car miles are usually the least concerning as the most expensive part you plan to build anyways. With that said.. Have you thought about buying a car that is already built and saving yourself some $$. These are very expensive cars to build.

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1883757
Appreciate 2
      02-07-2022, 11:49 PM   #4
byebyev8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i f12 m6

I’d buy the one with lower miles. You can make big power without building the motor in these 750-800whp. 85k on a m6 doesn’t seem bad to you now. In a few years when the cars at 100k miles no ones going to pay much for it nomadder what’s done to it. The Competition isnt that big of a deal if your going to mod the car anyway and the Harmon kardon sound system in the m6 is really good not to far off from the B0. The newer idrive is better but not a huge difference. Biggest thing would be is if you need a back seat but maybe you wouldn’t be looking for a coupe anyway. 85k is too high for these cars if you ask me.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2022, 06:44 PM   #5
Foecartel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 F06

I appreciate everyones reply !

Have you guys heard of American First Auto protect? I was speaking to one of their representatives and offered me a $1,000 one year platinum that covers everything $0 deductible, sounds too good to be true specially after being turned down by several top third party warranty companies lol
Has anyone had or heard of anyone having very expensive issues like blown motor or tranny ect with a crazy bill and these third party got it fixed no problems?
Technically if i have a warranty like the one offered to me I shouldn't care about the miles or service records or it breaking, if it breaks warranty will get it brand new, yeah i might be down a few months but I shouldn't worry??

Question do upgraded intakes & intercoolers and the cooling effect of running meth really improve the lifespan of the engine? Even though i plan on buying an RK forged built engine down the line maybe by summer but cant wait and want to start modding now, what are the chances a stage 1 soft tuned 85k miles M6 with the mods mentioned above with very gentle driving very rarely any pulls on the highway virtually no launch control, maybe once to try it out lol would last say 5-10k miles tops without breaking the engine?
Also i have a theory that shops if the find out wont care or look the other way if the find mods on a car they're about to work on, they're literally stopping themselves from making $ am i wrong?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 07:10 PM   #6
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foecartel View Post
I appreciate everyones reply !

Have you guys heard of American First Auto protect? I was speaking to one of their representatives and offered me a $1,000 one year platinum that covers everything $0 deductible, sounds too good to be true specially after being turned down by several top third party warranty companies lol
Has anyone had or heard of anyone having very expensive issues like blown motor or tranny ect with a crazy bill and these third party got it fixed no problems?
Technically if i have a warranty like the one offered to me I shouldn't care about the miles or service records or it breaking, if it breaks warranty will get it brand new, yeah i might be down a few months but I shouldn't worry??

Question do upgraded intakes & intercoolers and the cooling effect of running meth really improve the lifespan of the engine? Even though i plan on buying an RK forged built engine down the line maybe by summer but cant wait and want to start modding now, what are the chances a stage 1 soft tuned 85k miles M6 with the mods mentioned above with very gentle driving very rarely any pulls on the highway virtually no launch control, maybe once to try it out lol would last say 5-10k miles tops without breaking the engine?
Also i have a theory that shops if the find out wont care or look the other way if the find mods on a car they're about to work on, they're literally stopping themselves from making $ am i wrong?
In regards to the warranty company I would speak with some local independent bmw/euro shops. Find out if they work with 3rd party warranty's and if so have they worked with that company and what their experience has been.

It will be hard to predict life span of the motor. Rods, pistons and rod bearings are the primary concerns but the injectors which have a warranty extension from bmw can fail. Typically they only replace the failed inject and if that failure results in engine failure you'll still be on your own.

I don't mean to paint a bleak picture rather to prepare you for some potential eventualities that I and friends have had to learn the hard way. My advice would be to buy the car drive, buy the mods you want but save them for when you do the engine swap as you will need to send yours back or eat the core charge.

You won't be disappointed by Raza's forged engine but I have a stock rebuild and have found it to be absolutely fantastic unmodded but I do plan on adding WMI, Charge Coolers, DP's and tune. Unless you plan on hammering the hell out of the engine you'll likely be just as pleased with the stock build and the money ya save can be used to buy those fun power adders.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2022, 07:45 AM   #7
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
That warranty sounds improbable. Hard to even find a warranty company to cover these early M6's in the first place. Only company I found that would cover my 2013 with only 42k mi was Patriot Warranty. 2yr/24k mi "same as factory" coverage for $4200. Turns out, it's nowhere near factory coverage. Had 1 ignition coil fail on me, took 3 weeks for the warranty company to approve replacement, and then on top of that, their labor rate is capped at $120/hr! No BMW dealer in the country is $120/hr, my local store is $240/hr, so I still had to come out of pocket almost $200 for this tab.

Long story short, it's probably not legit.
Appreciate 1