BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      04-15-2021, 12:23 PM   #1
moto650i
Rep
Drives: 2006 650i

EV Conversion

Who thinks the 6 Series will make a good candidate for Electric Motor Conversion?

I don't think everyone wants to run out and buy an Electric Vehicle. Plus that would create a huge glut of obsolete IC autos, which would be a terrible strain on the environment, almost outweighing the benefits of Electric cars.

The 6 is a solid car, it has plenty of space for Batteries, and there are quite a few around. Plus it's a luxury car that you wouldn't mind investing in and keeping for a long time.

The downside is the vehicle weight which will hurt range. But you have to manage weight and available Battery space.

IMHO, certain vehicles will emerge as excellent cars for Conversion such as Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, mostly because of their huge production numbers and the ability of Conversion Companies to take advantage of this scale. With this thinking, I guess the 3 Series would prevail as the most popular BMW conversion car.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 03:13 PM   #2
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto650i View Post
Who thinks the 6 Series will make a good candidate for Electric Motor Conversion?

I don't think everyone wants to run out and buy an Electric Vehicle. Plus that would create a huge glut of obsolete IC autos, which would be a terrible strain on the environment, almost outweighing the benefits of Electric cars.

The 6 is a solid car, it has plenty of space for Batteries, and there are quite a few around. Plus it's a luxury car that you wouldn't mind investing in and keeping for a long time.

The downside is the vehicle weight which will hurt range. But you have to manage weight and available Battery space.

IMHO, certain vehicles will emerge as excellent cars for Conversion such as Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, mostly because of their huge production numbers and the ability of Conversion Companies to take advantage of this scale. With this thinking, I guess the 3 Series would prevail as the most popular BMW conversion car.
After watching a youtube series of a guy converting an 8-series (exx gen) to electric I mused on this as well, but in reality it would be a cost-prohibitive undertaking. On the face of it it sounds simple enough: replace the rear-differential with an edrive motor, add some batteries and bam...electric car, but then then the more I thought on it the less likely it was looking. There are some challenges:

* in-car electronics will need a bridging module to communicate with the edrive hardware
* ac will need a separate electric pump and also solution for the the hot coolant used in the heater matrix to generate heat
* ARS will need a separate electric pump to function

To your point, a less complex model like a 3-series would make a better candidate for sure.