BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

12-16-2018, 07:31 PM   #1
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Proud M6 Gran Coupe Owner..*My Journal*

Hey everyone!

As of three weeks ago, I officially joined the "dark side" as I sold my CLS AMG and jumped into the car that I've longed for for a solid two years; an M6 Gran Coupe. What. a. car! I went back and forth with whether or not I wanted the coupe or GC, but after seeing and driving both, I was 100% sold on the GC. It's just something about a four door "saloon" that does it for me.

Specs on the car:
-'14 F06 M6 Gran Coupe
-Silverstone Metallic
-Competition Pack
-Executive Pack
-Driver Assist Pack
-Bang & Olufsen
-Carbon Fiber Interior Trim
-1 Owner

This particular thread I'm sure will include a lot of modifications/advice, etc. that's already been covered, but I like to create these type of pages to keep everything in order and to document the before/after process of all that I do. So please, by all means feel free to follow along and add your advice/tips as see fit!

So, what all do I plan to do? This of course will probably change as time goes on, but currently, this is the plan;

Current Mods:
I just had a set of H&R sport springs installed and 12mm M&S spacers added to the rear, none on the front. I actually like the look of the front wheels being more tucked while the rear pokes out with a flush fitment. Gives it that 'V' stance that I like. It's actually a little lower than I thought it would be, but I'm 100% happy with the overall appearance.

Future Plans:
-Front bumper getting redone. There are minor paint chips and a small hump on the bottom lip that needs fixed. The orange side markers are actually going to be sprayed too - save me from having to purchase new ones. Car was taken in today.
-Replacing OEM plastic 3 piece front lip
-Megan Racing Supremo axel back exhaust in black chrome
-VRSF Catless DP's
-Tuning? Leaning toward Mission Tuning at the moment
-Intake? Other than charcoal filter delete, I'm sure not. I originally planned to through in a set of BMC filters but I read how some people ran into issues as those are oiled filters..
-15% window tint all around
-Grille, side vents, center chrome section of door handles and trunk badge all replaced in gloss black.
-Vorsteiner style CF diffuser
-CF front lip (center section only)
-Wheels powder coated in a semi-gloss gun metal color

Now here's where my extreme anal-ness kicks in...Paint Correction. I will probably spend about 25-30 man hours getting the car in near perfect shape. This will include a multi step decontamination, compound, polish, interior, trim, sealants, coatings, etc. This is where I think I can truly add value to the forum for those interested..

I want to thank all of you here who actively post about our cars - definitely helped me during my research! Now with all that being said, here's a couple pics of the beast!

Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r148.50
      12-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Great pics!

With intake, I prefer the boxes like Dinan. It's a superior design.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 12-16-2018 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 11:18 PM   #3
ind_can
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC ILE

Beautiful car! Congrats! Keep us posted on it's development
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 12:30 AM   #4
white6er
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i xDrive

Garage List
2016 BMW M6  [0.00]
Yeah keep us posted car looks great
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 02:40 AM   #5
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Good luck with the mods. For what it’s worth, I think you have gone to too much extreme with lowering springs - doesn’t look good anymore when the wheel arches seemingly don’t follow the wheel shape... but that’s just my opinion...

I think you need to do something pretty aggressive with spoilers and side skirts to compensate - I mean get it properly “pimped”. In my opinion, GCis such a gorgeous body shape that too much of anything will not make it look better - on the contrary... But hey, this is just my opinion...

Maybe consider breaking the lines with some more aggressive paying/stripes? 21” wheels would probably have a positive impact as well... And if you have spoilers and diffuser in gloss block, go for the same colour with wheels.

If it was mine, I’d do the paint correction and potential coating firs, then consider what else is required...
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2018, 07:19 AM   #6
BOOSTEDMIKE
Private
Panama
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5, 2011 E93 M3 ESS

Congrats! Beautiful car. Happy modding
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #7
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Great pics!

With intake, I prefer the boxes like Dinan. It's a superior design.
Thanks! And I’ll give Dinan boxes a look. They kind of slipped my mind honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ind_can View Post
Beautiful car! Congrats! Keep us posted on it's development
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUXSHO View Post
Congrats! Beautiful car. Happy modding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faz212 View Post
Yeah keep us posted car looks great
Thanks guys! Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 08:25 AM   #8
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
Good luck with the mods. For what it’s worth, I think you have gone to too much extreme with lowering springs - doesn’t look good anymore when the wheel arches seemingly don’t follow the wheel shape... but that’s just my opinion...

I think you need to do something pretty aggressive with spoilers and side skirts to compensate - I mean get it properly “pimped”. In my opinion, GCis such a gorgeous body shape that too much of anything will not make it look better - on the contrary... But hey, this is just my opinion...

Maybe consider breaking the lines with some more aggressive paying/stripes? 21” wheels would probably have a positive impact as well... And if you have spoilers and diffuser in gloss block, go for the same colour with wheels.

If it was mine, I’d do the paint correction and potential coating firs, then consider what else is required...
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I’m going to have to disagree with you on all that you mentioned. Maybe it’s the angle of the picture, but the drop makes the car look 10x more aggressive, in my opinion. And as far as all those add on’s (side skirts, 21’s, stripes?), to me that actually takes away from the car, as you said you thought the drop did. And the diffuser & spoiler will be carbon fiber, not gloss black. I have a pretty good track record when it comes to modified cars, so you’ll have to check back in when I’m done to voice your opinion - I’ll have some DSLR pics uploaded as well. As for the paint correction, that doesn’t affect how I view mods so doing that now would only mean I have corrected paint. But I’m in Ohio which means it’s winter time and I don’t like doing any paint correcting when it’s less than 50°F - product has to work harder in those conditions.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #9
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Hey Congrats on the car, I’m sure when your car done it’s going to look sick , I’m glad your into detailing , I just started myself on a more professional level , seems car detailing took off over the last few years , I learned a lot from YouTube vids
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #10
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Hey Congrats on the car, I’m sure when your car done it’s going to look sick , I’m glad your into detailing , I just started myself on a more professional level , seems car detailing took off over the last few years , I learned a lot from YouTube vids
Thanks! Congrats on the newly found business - it's definitely becoming more and more popular, even to non "car people". YouTube is a great source for tips, but the best thing is hands on practice. Fortunately for me a couple of my clients are high-end detailers so I was able to take some classes with them. And by no means do I consider myself a professional, but more so a weekend detailer/enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 06:16 PM   #11
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

Congrats on the car! My M6 GC is identical in spec to yours. My car is modded pretty similarly to what your planning as well haha
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:39 PM   #12
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post
Thanks! Congrats on the newly found business - it's definitely becoming more and more popular, even to non "car people". YouTube is a great source for tips, but the best thing is hands on practice. Fortunately for me a couple of my clients are high-end detailers so I was able to take some classes with them. And by no means do I consider myself a professional, but more so a weekend detailer/enthusiast.
Lol,Thanks but no business here,what I meant was enthusiast on a more professional level, doing all the proper steps on detailing my cars , I’ve done it wrong / not properly for many years, via the internet we can access and learn about good products,
When you put that Supremo exhaust on can you post a before and after sound clip, I was wondering about that exhaust
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 08:18 PM   #13
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kong24680 View Post
Congrats on the car! My M6 GC is identical in spec to yours. My car is modded pretty similarly to what your planning as well haha
Haha great taste! Feel free to post a pic or link so I can check you out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Lol,Thanks but no business here,what I meant was enthusiast on a more professional level, doing all the proper steps on detailing my cars , I’ve done it wrong / not properly for many years, via the internet we can access and learn about good products,
When you put that Supremo exhaust on can you post a before and after sound clip, I was wondering about that exhaust
Lol ahh okay, got it. Yeah, it's something about taking not so great conditioned paint and turning it into a mirror...Very satisfying.

As for the Supremo exhaust, you're in luck...kind of. So during my search for a GC, I came across one that was 30 miles from me that actually had this system on it. And while the car was not spec'd to my liking, I had to make my way out there to hear the exhaust in person as it was unlikely I'd have another opportunity to do so before purchasing. So, verdict? I was sold! This was a competition car that was stock other than this axel back. I was able to hear the start up, revs and drive it. I only have a video of the start up though...I will definitely post before/after start ups, revs, and fly-bys on my car though.
Let me know if this link is viewable for you. Notice how I kind of step back after it started lol. Sounded much better in person. And I drove there in a CLS AMG with headers and a complete exhaust system so for me to be pleased meant a lot. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjdk4plwsi...%20PM.mov?dl=0
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 03:42 AM   #14
powahousealex
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 bmw m3

I am sure you can google a stock before clip but here goes a clip of the Megan exhaust. In this youtube clip,Mi6 ght be the camera,It sounds muffled and not as brittle as the one on your dropbox video. I have not herd it in person but would love to if anyone has it in socal.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 11:47 AM   #15
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by powahousealex View Post
I am sure you can google a stock before clip but here goes a clip of the Megan exhaust. In this youtube clip,Mi6 ght be the camera,It sounds muffled and not as brittle as the one on your dropbox video. I have not herd it in person but would love to if anyone has it in socal.

I actually seen this clip before and I'm almost positive this car has downpipes as well. That sort of rasp and crackle (in a good way) seems to be the common sound on our cars that are equipped with dp's. And while the one I seen in person sounded good while revving, those dp sounds were clearly not there.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 11:39 AM   #16
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Update...

So I received part of my "black out package" items in the mail over the past week. Nothing has been installed yet because for one, I decided I want the RPI ram air scoops so I'll knock that out + the grill install at the same time. And as for the fender vents, I want to wait until I have the windows tinted and chrome door handle strips wrapped simply because I think it'll look best if done simultaneously. This will take place in the next two weeks.

The car has actually been in paint the past week as I had the whole front bumper redone. There were visible flaws - scuffs, scraps etc. that I could not stand, but now it looks brand new! The orange side markers were also sprayed and a new OEM plastic 3 piece lip was mounted. The old one was beat and made for a serious eye sore.

I also installed new decals on the calipers as the 'M' had faded off. The decals I purchased were slightly bigger than OEM, but I think it works well as these brakes are massive. It was a bit difficult to "install" for someone who is OCD with this crap as each strip had to be applied separately, but with a great deal of patience, it ended up working out.

Better view from a few feet back..

I ordered the Megan Racing axel back a couple of days ago, so I'm hoping to have that installed within the next week two weeks. Winter plays a part in the hold up, but whenever I can, exhaust clips will be provided.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 12:05 PM   #17
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Great. from where did you get the fender vents? I have to repaint my caliper as well and I need also the ///M decals.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 03:16 PM   #18
BadSeed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M6 GC

Garage List
2015 BMW M6  [0.00]
2010 BMW M5  [10.00]
Currently out of stock but these are what I purchased for my OEM rims after powder coating. Best ones I've seen. The entire logo fits, centered & the color bars have even width. The only thing questionable is the 3M gray double sided tape it comes with. If you ever tried to remove the original ones, they are actually glued on the rims.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-M-STICK...53.m1438.l2649

Our rims are so much a like except you have better tires. I have OCD as well...aligned the center cap with the logo on all 4.

Looking forward to seeing how your car turns out...………….

Since you had your front bumper re-sprayed, are you going to use paint protection film? The only negative is the material is grippy. Have to apply slick ceramic coating.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 11:09 AM   #19
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havy View Post
Great. from where did you get the fender vents? I have to repaint my caliper as well and I need also the ///M decals.
Thanks! I purchased the vents from Tuner Motorsport. But when I received them, they were wrapped up in iND Distribution paper. As for the decals, I bought them here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-White-Cal...53.m2749.l2649
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 11:28 AM   #20
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSeed View Post
Currently out of stock but these are what I purchased for my OEM rims after powder coating. Best ones I've seen. The entire logo fits, centered & the color bars have even width. The only thing questionable is the 3M gray double sided tape it comes with. If you ever tried to remove the original ones, they are actually glued on the rims.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-M-STICK...53.m1438.l2649

Our rims are so much a like except you have better tires. I have OCD as well...aligned the center cap with the logo on all 4.

Looking forward to seeing how your car turns out...………….

Since you had your front bumper re-sprayed, are you going to use paint protection film? The only negative is the material is grippy. Have to apply slick ceramic coating.
Thanks for that link! Although they are out of stock, the buyer has the part # listed so I should be able to locate them. I ordered a set prior and they were a hair too big for the given space.

Lol that's funny you mentioned that about lining the center cap up with the M decal. I planned to realign the caps when my wheels go in for powder coating early April. Our wheels are pretty similar in color though. What's the exact name of your finish? Although I love the color on mine, the paint job is pretty poor and the barrels are starting to fade. I'm hoping the shop I have do it can match the color perfectly and then finish it down in a semi gloss.

Yeah, the SS tires are solid. I will be replacing them with 4S's though at the same time I get the wheels powder coated.

As far as wrapping the front bumper, I'm still on the fence about that. I love, love the look of corrected/polished paint and although PPF has come a long way, I can still notice how it slightly dilutes the depth you get with bare paint. I have a couple of months to think about it though since I wont be driving the car all that much since its winter here.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 11:53 AM   #21
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Thank you Flo,
Do you have a # of the vents. I can’t find them in the ETK.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 12:27 PM   #22
BadSeed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M6 GC

Garage List
2015 BMW M6  [0.00]
2010 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post
Thanks for that link! Although they are out of stock, the buyer has the part # listed so I should be able to locate them. I ordered a set prior and they were a hair too big for the given space.

Lol that's funny you mentioned that about lining the center cap up with the M decal. I planned to realign the caps when my wheels go in for powder coating early April. Our wheels are pretty similar in color though. What's the exact name of your finish? Although I love the color on mine, the paint job is pretty poor and the barrels are starting to fade. I'm hoping the shop I have do it can match the color perfectly and then finish it down in a semi gloss.

Yeah, the SS tires are solid. I will be replacing them with 4S's though at the same time I get the wheels powder coated.

As far as wrapping the front bumper, I'm still on the fence about that. I love, love the look of corrected/polished paint and although PPF has come a long way, I can still notice how it slightly dilutes the depth you get with bare paint. I have a couple of months to think about it though since I wont be driving the car all that much since its winter here.
Color is Evo Grey from Prismatic Powders. Their website does not like Internet Explorer.
https://www.prismaticpowders.com/sho...-5969/evo-grey

Their entire Grey lineup: https://www.prismaticpowders.com/sho...olor=pris_grey
Note: anything with Smoke has a slight hint of brown in it.

PP is great since you can order sample swatches (most are free) but they do charge $6.50 for shipping for 10 swatches or so. Helps to see it in person, how it looks in the dark & out in the sun.

Haven't purchased from this seller but the emblems look to be the right size.
http://www.bmwdecals.com/BMW_M_Wheel...ms_Decals.html
Appreciate 0