BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-06-2021, 09:34 PM   #1
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Rear Differential Brace

I spend an equal amount of time over in the F10 M5 forum to pickup on tech tips and maintenance how-to's Someone posted recently about their M5 rear diff getting destroyed. It is something that I have read about on here and many other times on the F10 M5 forums.

I haven't modded my car yet but I know the day will come. I do want to do burnouts and have withheld getting on the car like that due to these other stories.

So today I bought an RKautowerks billet rear diff and plan on installing it myself when I return home. I am curious if anyone else has attempted this yet and I am interested in hearing if you know of anyone that has lost their rear diff or axles.

From what I have read it is can cost more than an engine rebuild which I have had to do. So for me this is more of a preventative maintenance measure and a little insurance against another costly M tax event.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 09:42 PM   #2
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Holy crap. I jut did a quick look up of the cost of a Diff, left and right axles and the driveshaft and that alone was $8,000!
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 01:58 AM   #3
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Here ya go ,here some pics of mine ,much needed with the upgraded power
Attached Images

2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2021, 08:50 AM   #4
eidde
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
I spend an equal amount of time over in the F10 M5 forum to pickup on tech tips and maintenance how-to's Someone posted recently about their M5 rear diff getting destroyed. It is something that I have read about on here and many other times on the F10 M5 forums.

I haven't modded my car yet but I know the day will come. I do want to do burnouts and have withheld getting on the car like that due to these other stories.

So today I bought an RKautowerks billet rear diff and plan on installing it myself when I return home. I am curious if anyone else has attempted this yet and I am interested in hearing if you know of anyone that has lost their rear diff or axles.

From what I have read it is can cost more than an engine rebuild which I have had to do. So for me this is more of a preventative maintenance measure and a little insurance against another costly M tax event.
Be carful the rk doesn't come with a bushing so you have to push out your old one.

I think this is rk just being cheap, for the price they should supply one like the other brands
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2021, 11:37 AM   #5
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Here ya go ,here some pics of mine ,much needed with the upgraded power
Wow that looks good brother. Did you install it. How does the bushing ride that came with your brace?

Appreciate ya chiming in, I was just digging through some of your build photos and posts before catching back up on this.

Last edited by TinCanSailor; 10-09-2021 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 12:07 PM   #6
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eidde View Post
Be carful the rk doesn't come with a bushing so you have to push out your old one.

I think this is rk just being cheap, for the price they should supply one like the other brands

yep, I get it. In the grand scheme of things it isn't that big of a concern for me. I do try to reuse parts and pieces when possible in an effort to reduce waste; I've got drawers full of things like this that i refuse to send to landfill .

I know GAW sends one with their kit but from casual reading it seemed like it may be a bit stiffer. My experience with bushing in classic cars has been that I end up liking the OEM ride more than the more durable poly style bushings.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 04:02 AM   #7
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Wow that looks good brother. Did you install it. How does the bushing ride that came with your brace?

Appreciate ya chiming in, I was just digging through some of your build photos and posts before catching back up on this.
Thanks! No My shop installed it,I got the brace with the Delrin bushings and they had straight solid also to chose from,The Delrin is very very stiff but there is a little give, You can feel the rear clunk into gear when you shift it from park to drive and the shifts feel much firmer on full throttle , feels stock around town it its feels very good
The problem with the RK brace is you have to push out the stock bushing from the old brace and reuse it witch really isn't a problem ,the problem is with added power you will be stressing the old bushing in the billet brace, when it blows out you will have to replace it,I believe they dont sell the bushing separate you will have to buy a brand new stock brace to replace it.
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2021, 12:24 PM   #8
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Thanks! No My shop installed it,I got the brace with the Delrin bushings and they had straight solid also to chose from,The Delrin is very very stiff but there is a little give, You can feel the rear clunk into gear when you shift it from park to drive and the shifts feel much firmer on full throttle , feels stock around town it its feels very good
The problem with the RK brace is you have to push out the stock bushing from the old brace and reuse it witch really isn't a problem ,the problem is with added power you will be stressing the old bushing in the billet brace, when it blows out you will have to replace it,I believe they dont sell the bushing separate you will have to buy a brand new stock brace to replace it.
It is too bad that isn't a more visible part as it looks terrific. I figure if I blow mine out I'll try to find something from summit racing to that will serve as a suitable replacement. I don't daily drive mine due to work and the fact that my wife loves her 550 probably more than we all do our cars , so she insists on driving all the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 07:14 PM   #9
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep
Drives: LCI M6 GC, other stuff.

I have the German Auto Werks unit that Whipple showed pictures of. I haven't installed it yet because the car has been getting neglected and has been sitting in the garage collected dust.

I do plan to do the install myself, so if you tackle it and take some shots, I'll be looking for some pointers.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2021, 08:37 PM   #10
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
I have the German Auto Werks unit that Whipple showed pictures of. I haven't installed it yet because the car has been getting neglected and has been sitting in the garage collected dust.

I do plan to do the install myself, so if you tackle it and take some shots, I'll be looking for some pointers.
100% I'll be taking some pics and collecting notes through the install. Sadly I won't see my car until the end of November but I live in Florida so the garage shold be plenty comfortable by then.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 08:53 AM   #11
Roll_Tide
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 Comp

Anyone have a link to the German Auto Werks diff brace? Can't find it anywhere, outside of a Facebook screenshot...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 11:25 AM   #12
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Tide View Post
Anyone have a link to the German Auto Werks diff brace? Can't find it anywhere, outside of a Facebook screenshot...
I think they only do group buys and sell via a list on FB and/or IG.

I get that that the interwebs isn't everyone's job and looks foreboding from the outside, but to be this deep in the new millennium and not have at a minimum a website or ecommerce site baffles me.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 01:11 PM   #13
Roll_Tide
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks TinCan, I'll just contact them on IG. I imagine they'd get far more sales through a simple website...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 01:41 PM   #14
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Tide View Post
Thanks TinCan, I'll just contact them on IG. I imagine they'd get far more sales through a simple website...
Do you plan on doing the install or are you working with a shop on your M6? Keep us posted on your progress.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 02:51 PM   #15
Bmyguy88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6, 135i

Have had my German Auto Werks bracket installed for about 6 months now. I originally purchased it asI was scared of what would happen if my stock one broke (axles, driveshaft break etc) There is a slight increase in differential noise (if I have the radio on it's non existent) but that is to be expected with a delrin bushing, but from talking to multiple people some have increased noise and some don't. I will be adding an exhaust system soon so I'm sure will no longer hear it. I assume it's related to differential wear. Also there is a clunk into gear from park to drive but again very minimal. The slight increase in noise was worth knowing my bracket is solid and i don't have to deal with a oem bushing failing. I am very happy with the workmanship and their customer support. I installed myself and had a few questions, they were prompt to respond even on a Sunday when they are closed. Overall very happy with the purchase.

Also saw they just posted about a Black Friday Sale right now but you have to contact them to know the price.

Last edited by Bmyguy88; 11-14-2021 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
Whipple262.50
      10-24-2021, 03:40 PM   #16
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmyguy88 View Post
Have had my German Auto Werks bracket installed for about 6 months now. I originally purchased it as they are local and I was scared of what would happen if my stock one broke (axles, driveshaft break etc) There is a slight increase in differential noise (if I have the radio on it's non existent) but that is to be expected with a delrin bushing, but from talking to multiple people some have increased noise and some don't. I will be adding an exhaust system soon so I'm sure will no longer hear it. I assume it's related to differential wear. Also there is a clunk into gear from park to drive but again very minimal. I was very happy with the workmanship and their customer support. I installed myself and had a few questions, they were prompt to respond even on a Sunday when they are closed. Overall very happy with the purchase.

Also saw they just posted about a Black Friday Sale right now but you have to contact them to know the price.

Yeah Im very happy with mine too!!

I was gonna post about Black friday sale too but you beat me to it
They also said they have limited stock
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 10:48 AM   #17
Bmyguy88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6, 135i

They posted a price. $1099 with limited quantity. Looks like a killer deal!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 01:15 PM   #18
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Damn , that is a killer deal , I think I paid $1500 for mine 6 months ago
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 12:20 PM   #19
Roll_Tide
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the heads up, grabbed one from them on their sale.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 04:31 AM   #20
M3talllic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 & M6 GC

Garage List
I also secured one. Thanks for the heads up!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 10:46 AM   #21
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Is it common to need one of these braces? How often does it break?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 12:41 PM   #22
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep
Drives: LCI M6 GC, other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick 6 View Post
Is it common to need one of these braces? How often does it break?
I wouldn't say they are exploding often, certainly not on a stock setup, but when increasing power, the weak points start to show their face, especially when the traction is true and that power meets the pavement.

I purchased for peace of mind. Just as fluid usually will find the path of least resistance, a 900hp (if one has built to that level, of course) engine's vibration will find the path of least support. BMW didn't design the components to support that amount of power. Many build the engines and forget to beef up the other supporting components.

Last edited by Minacious; 10-27-2021 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 1