BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

12-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
Oompah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Retrofit / coding question - reverse camera for f06/f12/f13

Hi guys,

I just sold my f11 and thinking of going f06. Sadly, the car i found doesn't have a reverse camera. Does anyone know who is doing this retrofit in UK?
Sadly, it's not as straightforward as in other models.

thanks,

Art
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
Mark333032
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 640d MSport Gran Coupe.

I looked into this 3 years ago when I bought my car. Turned out it's a huge job. I was quoted about £2,500 by an independent.

But the reverse camera is an essential extra because vision out the back is absolutely pants without it. Surround view is very nice to have as well.

So I hunted around and found an aftermarket version which integrates with the iDrive screen so looks exactly like OEM in the cabin but the camera is a fixed version on the underside of number plate recess. It's nowhere near as cool as the OEM pistol point camera that pokes out from behind the boot badge when you engage reverse, but supplied and fitted it only cost me about £650. No surround view though.

If I were you, I'd hold out and find a car which already has the reverse camera AND surround view options. The early ones in the UK like my 2012 MSport were almost all poverty spec, optioned with just tinted windows, DAB radio, 20 inch wheels and internet but later cars were better optioned.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
Oompah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Thanks. valid point, much appreciated. I think this just killed the deal, as the car I am looking at is euro5 as well, so I may look for a euro6 with a cam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark333032 View Post
I looked into this 3 years ago when I bought my car. Turned out it's a huge job. I was quoted about £2,500 by an independent.

But the reverse camera is an essential extra because vision out the back is absolutely pants without it. Surround view is very nice to have as well.

So I hunted around and found an aftermarket version which integrates with the iDrive screen so looks exactly like OEM in the cabin but the camera is a fixed version on the underside of number plate recess. It's nowhere near as cool as the OEM pistol point camera that pokes out from behind the boot badge when you engage reverse, but supplied and fitted it only cost me about £650. No surround view though.

If I were you, I'd hold out and find a car which already has the reverse camera AND surround view options. The early ones in the UK like my 2012 MSport were almost all poverty spec, optioned with just tinted windows, DAB radio, 20 inch wheels and internet but later cars were better optioned.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #4
Thewrench86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 \M sport. F06 640d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark333032 View Post

Hi just come across your post. The reverse camera you got installed, did u have to drill through the boot lid? I've purchased an aftermarket wedge camera im hoping to connect up to my android mmi device but I'm a little wary of drilling if there is an alternative method to route cables with a different camera maybe a licence plate led
Appreciate 0