BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #1
board57796
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

What do you NOT love about your 6-series?

First off, let me just say that my F06 is my favorite car I have owned ever. However, as with anything there are small things that I wish were a little different, or that aren't my favorite. So I was wondering what some of yours are! Obviously these are all very first-world problems, but here are some of mine:

1) The turn signals. I just cannot get used to the turn signal stalk on this car. I really dislike the "up for on and up again for off" thing they did. I had a new 3-series loaner a couple months back and it was so nice to just have a "normal" turn signal control again! During quick lane changes, my F06 still confuses me and I either don't signal, or turn on the opposite side I want, or leave the signal going on accident. I miss being able to tell via a quick touch with my fingertips what position the stalk is in and therefore what the indicators are doing.

2) The blind spot monitoring system. I mentioned this is another thread, but I also can't quite get used to the system in this car vs. others I have driven. I really wish the light would illuminate as I overtake another car and it slips into and out of my blind spot. Apparently the system in our cars just knows you're overtaking, so doesn't illuminate in those situations?

I really can't think of many others right now
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 05:31 PM   #2
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

I fully agree with point number 2. Blind spot is also when you want to slide back in onto right lane but the car you have overtaken is still in the blind spot - that should be noticed and notified by the system!

I may add I strongly miss the S316A as an option!The automatic trunk lid mechanism should be STANDARD on this (price) class of cars. If there was a retrofit it is something I would for sure consider.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #3
board57796
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by F06WINS View Post
I fully agree with point number 2. Blind spot is also when you want to slide back in onto right lane but the car you have overtaken is still in the blind spot - that should be noticed and notified by the system!

I may add I strongly miss the S316A as an option!The automatic trunk lid mechanism should be STANDARD on this (price) class of cars. If there was a retrofit it is something I would for sure consider.
Ugh I knew there was a third I couldn’t remember and THAT WAS IT! No power trunk.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #4
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I'll start by saying that my 650xi GC is probably, as a total package, my favorite BMW I've owned. But it's also very different than some of the others.

Some things I dislike:

1. The weight. It's a pretty heavy car, and I feel BMW could have shed a few hundred pounds pretty easily.

2. The sunroof. I don't use one often, but when I do (a nice 70 degree spring day), I'd like it to open, not just tilt.

3. Trunk. As others have said, not crazy about having no automatic open/close mechanism.

4. RFT tires. As I've noted in other threads, I think BMW screwed this up. The wheels are already very heavy, and the RFTs add to it. The lack of a spare compounds the problem.

Those are probably the big ones, and as I said, there's very little I dislike about it. That said, if I didn't own a sports car, and this had to be my only car for all driving enjoyment, I don't think I'd pick it. It's a really capable GT / highway cruiser, but it's just too big and heavy for anything fun on a back road. I'd probably opt for the new M550 or M5 if you absolutely needed the space, or drop to a 4 or 3 for the fun. The big problem there is you lose a lot of the luxury and creature comforts.

Overall, the 6GC has proven to be a great car... and as I said recently, I'm not quite sure what would replace it right now - very little on the market could offer me more luxury or a better looking design. Its few faults, I'll live with them for now.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 08:50 PM   #5
F06msportmia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I will go with these:

-The sunroof, half ass tilt
-No automatic trunk

Besides this the GC is bad ass! I have 2014 and thinking in a few years to get a 2016 or 2017. I truly love this car.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 10:30 PM   #6
lukej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp,

I agree with the above items ,,,I wish that car would be a little more throaty on the exhaust sound from the factory. I’m just not one of them guys that does the mods I drive it as it is .... I just keep forgetting I came out of M4 that I lease for 2 1/2 years love the sound of that car.

2. I’m not an (EXPERT) I’m just here with an opinion. So
don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 11:08 PM   #7
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Actual annoyances: The exhaust sound isn't great compared to my C63 and the push button handbrake is just annoying, pointless and slow.

Other than that I really couldn't come up with much. If I'm being a bit tongue in cheek:

Heated and Cooled cupholders
Fold down rear seats (the F06 has this but my F13 doesn't)
4 wheel steering to improve the turning radius
Massaging seats (is an option but my car doesn't have them and on the F06/12/13 chassis it was fairly basic anyway)
      11-06-2018, 03:49 AM   #8
DE4NO
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 640d f13 alpine white

Agree, the sunroof is more of a skylight and would prefer it to open fully.

Last edited by DE4NO; 11-07-2018 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 06:08 AM   #9
VK_Technician
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M550IX

My biggest gripe at the moment are the seats. The seat cushions are extremely stiff. I have the Active Seat function (Raises and lowers each cheek individually to reduce butt fatigue), and it helps, but it is still limited in comfort. 3hrs or more of driving and it is almost unbearable.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #10
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Yea I am inclined to agree with the sunroof as my only major gripe. Being that the M6 has the carbon roof. Adding a sliding panorama roof would have been the icing on the cake.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #11
jdsaengine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650iX vert, 2017 Corvette

Having to pull door handle twice to get out
pushing the "off" button twice to turn off radio when exiting
On every start having to defeat the "engine stop" feature at stop lights(I prefer not to wear out the starter)
I want an oil dipstick !!!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 01:51 PM   #12
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsaengine View Post
On every start having to defeat the "engine stop" feature at stop lights(I prefer not to wear out the starter)
These are pretty much all modern BMWs, to be fair... but point taken on each.

Thankfully, BMW set the engine stop feature to "remember" your preference in the facelift years. I'd be really annoyed if I had to set this each time I got in the car. You may be able to code it, however, in the pre-facelift.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 02:13 PM   #13
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsaengine View Post
Fully agree on these. Good thing is that both options are codable.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 03:17 PM   #14
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F06WINS View Post
.......I may add I strongly miss the S316A as an option!The automatic trunk lid mechanism should be STANDARD on this (price) class of cars. If there was a retrofit it is something I would for sure consider.
1+ this is my biggest don’t like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukej View Post
I agree with the above items ,,,I wish that car would be a little more throaty on the exhaust sound from the factory. I’m just not one of them guys that does the mods I drive it as it is .... I just keep forgetting I came out of M4 that I lease for 2 1/2 years love the sound of that car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
Actual annoyances: The exhaust sound isn't great compared to my C63...
Yep, 100% agree. Although it’s a M6 the sound could be much more aggressive. The Aftermarket exhaust cost 8k which is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #15
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

1) All the internet connected iDrive stuff is junk. Doesn't work the way it should, and is so glitchy or slow it's useless. Remember when BMW marked Facebook connectivity then pulled it? The web browser doesn't work at all. (But my fridge and TV at home work just fine).

2) The "ventilated seats" I thought they would be like my friends Jag. Nope they do almost nothing and are impossible to clean.

3) The center console creaks like a cheap GI JOE.

4) Standard issue complaints from: exhaust / run flats / possible major engine issues stress.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #16
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

Enjoying the heck out of it. No real complaints but to be picky
1) A/C coming on every time i get in the car
2) B+O lack of bass
3) Power, but getting a tune soon
Appreciate 1
Vorpel47.00
      11-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #17
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Love the car but if I could wave a magic wand to make changes:
  • sunroof would fully open
  • power trunk option (S316A)
  • and I'll take that cup holder cooler/warmer feature

Although...I did notice during times the AC was running and the ambient temps were between 85°F - 95°F...the storage area below the center armrest was really cool when the rear AC was on...so it probably wouldn't have been difficult to somehow capture some of that cooling to chill the cup holders...thus the inverse could work during cold weather and the heat is on. Hmmm.

In regards to the blind spot option...the upgrade to aspherical wide angle mirrors really helps with getting rid of a blind spot (on either side)...I highly recommend them as a "to do" upgrade.

And I'll have to go play with the turn indicator stalk...I'm not having any difficulty adjusting to the tap-for-3 blinks, hold 'er til yer 'dun, and/or press beyond the detent to put in auto shut off. The up for on & off is throwing me for a loop...unless that is something that changed during production.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-06-2018 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #18
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Not just the lack of a trunk opener, but that pulling the trunk emblem just feels crude. But mostly it's the overall size/turning radius. It's just not nimble in parking lots - I feel like I might knock over a nearby building. And I came from an MB CLK550, which could practically do a 180 in it's own length. With this car, if you start a 180 in central Kansas you can stop halfway through for lunch in Des Moines, Iowa.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 12:57 AM   #19
BMPOWERED
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650 GC M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonSU View Post
2) B+O lack of bass
The A/C thing is extremely annoying to me too. Luckily that can be fixed with simple coding either remote or in person.

To help with the B&O bass, I actually lowered the bass frequency (far left on the EQ) to the halfway point. That seemed to reduce the annoying boomy bass and allow the subs to shine a bit better.
2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 (sold)
2001 BMW 325ci (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 07:48 AM   #20
Swisschris
Rep
Drives: F13 650xi

A lot of things already have been mentioned (power trunk etc.). Anyway, I want to add some (slightly) annoying stuff:

- Interior lighting (Coupé): just a center light in the front, not even LED (despite the doorlights etc. have been switched to LED with the last update)

- No back/forward button on the steering wheel for quickly changing radio stations/song titles (saw it back on the steering wheel in the 8series)

- Two steps necessary to activate cruise control

- Ventilation options reduced versus E9x series (in my E92, I was able to finetune the amount of air coming out on the top, middle, bottom etc.)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #21
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Not just the lack of a trunk opener, but that pulling the trunk emblem just feels crude. But mostly it's the overall size/turning radius. It's just not nimble in parking lots - I feel like I might knock over a nearby building. And I came from an MB CLK550, which could practically do a 180 in it's own length. With this car, if you start a 180 in central Kansas you can stop halfway through for lunch in Des Moines, Iowa.
You close your trunk by yanking on the camera?
Better bet is to pull the handle inside the trunk with enough force you can pull it down let go and it closes.

It's a big car. The 6 is a two door 5 which is a shortened 7. The CLK550 I think would be closer to a 4 series?

Also on the turn signal thing - Clarkson and Doug DeMuro rail on this. You can change the number of flashes in iDrive or just turn it off and make the stalk work like normal. Personally I got used to it quickly and dont see an issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 09:21 AM   #22
Vorpel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Infiniti G35x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPOWERED View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonSU View Post
2) B+O lack of bass
The A/C thing is extremely annoying to me too. Luckily that can be fixed with simple coding either remote or in person.

To help with the B&O bass, I actually lowered the bass frequency (far left on the EQ) to the halfway point. That seemed to reduce the annoying boomy bass and allow the subs to shine a bit better.
Ooh - I think I know what you are talking about with the B&O bass, but would you mind posting a picture of your EQ settings?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0