BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

12-21-2020, 11:44 PM   #1
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

My f06 came stock with carbon ceramic breaks and although they are unique in many ways all the benefits I felt are way worth having these over the m pads and rotor...

My front caliper have started to show fade from its original beautiful gold finish. Meanwhile the rear caliper is gold as it should be without fade.

I'm fighting the urge to buy new calipers for the fronts while thinking there could be a way to re-finish the gold color on them? Does anyone know of what that exact gold caliper color is? And if there is a correct way to re-finish it in the color? Concerned on the level of heat the caliper is exposed to and such that has me thinking there has to be a few wrong ways to go about this... asking if anyone has approached this as a diy and or any advise.

Thanks in advanced!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 07:34 AM   #2
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

There is a fairly simple solution and that is to have them powder coated. Powder coating is heat resistant (at least to the limit of brake temperatures), extremely durable, and the colors available are nearly infinite.

My recommendation would be to find a Powder Coating operation near you and have them give you a quote.

Depending on your DIY-ability, Powder Coating at home is absolutely possible. All you need is chemicals to strip the existing paint (or have them media blasted), a powder Coating gun from Harbor Freight or Eastwood (less than $100) and your toaster oven.

Go on YouTube and search powder Coating Brake Calipers. There are also various posts on the 6 forum where people have had theirs powder coated. Look it up.

Brake Caliper Powder Coating Video.

L

Last edited by Luftpost; 12-22-2020 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: Added video
Appreciate 1
Msparta312.00
      12-22-2020, 04:59 PM   #3
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftpost View Post
There is a fairly simple solution and that is to have them powder coated. Powder coating is heat resistant (at least to the limit of brake temperatures), extremely durable, and the colors available are nearly infinite.

My recommendation would be to find a Powder Coating operation near you and have them give you a quote.

Depending on your DIY-ability, Powder Coating at home is absolutely possible. All you need is chemicals to strip the existing paint (or have them media blasted), a powder Coating gun from Harbor Freight or Eastwood (less than $100) and your toaster oven.

Go on YouTube and search powder Coating Brake Calipers. There are also various posts on the 6 forum where people have had theirs powder coated. Look it up.

L
Saw the kies motor sports powder coat videos and was blown away!

Assuming these are spray painted from factory - and somehow I am able to identify the color code - perhaps redoing the same method would renew the look as an alternative to powder coating.. if they were not powder coated, doing so will add a small amount of material over the caliper - not sure any implications but just thinking out loud.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 07:47 PM   #4
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftpost View Post

L
That gold powder coat shown on your referenced video looks like an exact match!

So odd that the rear caliper is pristine gold and makes me wonder if bmw powder coats those and paints the front calipers because of the obvious fade... :
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 09:33 PM   #5
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msparta View Post
if they were not powder coated, doing so will add a small amount of material over the caliper - not sure any implications but just thinking out loud.
Any critical areas (bleeder holes, threads, piston holes, etc) are covered up with plugs or high heat tape. Anything else is just cosmetic, and that is what you are powder coating. To me, it seems like powder coating is the perfect application for brake calipers.

Powder Coat pics Go to post #296. That's once example. I am sure there are more in this particular thread.

L

Last edited by Luftpost; 12-22-2020 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 02:30 AM   #6
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep

For anyone with similar front ccb fading from the nice oem gold here is a direct response on how it's done by brembo m devision...

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...075&page=2

Refinishing them back to oem is nearly impossible to match exact color code -
Appreciate 0