BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-15-2020, 09:22 PM   #1
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

White smoke from exhaust (it’s oil)

Hey guys just want to share my recent dilemma , My 2015 M6 GC has picked up the habit of smoking from the exhaust , it started with a small puff of smoke when stopped at a light or stop sign , none at start up , My car is catless stage 3 DME tune full Meistershaft exhaust

So I made a date to go to my Indy shop so they can diagnose the problem , it turns out to be a Turbo leaking oil into my exhaust side of the turbo, That was my guess also because the car is running great no check engine lights tons of power etc , Also just had a good oil report from Blackstone , by the time I got to the shop my car looked like a Hooptie with all that smoke billowing out it was getting worse by the minute , and man does that oil burning smell bad , I’m glad I didn’t get pulled over they would of probably had me tow it to the shop , Anyway my Indy shop new exactly what it was when I pulled up they said it’s very common for these turbos to do this on the S63tu , To be honest I was glad it was this and nothing worse , I had a Buick Grand National back in the day with the same problem.

So instead of having the stock turbos rebuilt , There installing Stage 1 Pure turbos , after I know the engine is running fine it will be going back in for SSP SPEC R clutch pack in the near future

So the shop is going to take some pics for me of the removal and comparison of the old turbos to the new , I will post them when I get them
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2020, 11:44 PM   #2
x-tech7
Private
Rep
Drives: Mazda CX5, 2017 M6 coupe

Good luck. It will be exciting to get new turbos. When I was rebuilding my engine I thought about upgrading the turbos too but I was more than my budget would allow and also I didn't want to deal with emissions testing. Just curious but how do you guys deal with passing emissions. I look forward to your pictures and updates
Appreciate 1
Whipple260.50
      11-16-2020, 04:51 AM   #3
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-tech7 View Post
Good luck. It will be exciting to get new turbos. When I was rebuilding my engine I thought about upgrading the turbos too but I was more than my budget would allow and also I didn't want to deal with emissions testing. Just curious but how do you guys deal with passing emissions. I look forward to your pictures and updates
Thanks 🙏, The new turbos won’t really help much with power with the tune I have now , my car is limited by octane level 93 octane , 670-680 whp , If I want more power I can run a mix of E85 with the tune I have now , I have more head room with these new turbos ex. Stock 25psi New 35psi , to make much more power but not at this time .The best part of the upgrade will be getting rid of the waste gate rattle I had , If you want you can pm me for your other question
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #4
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
@Whipple Very glad to hear it was nothing catastrophic. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Subscribing to the thread.

@x-tech7 Brother the things I could have done project-wise but the cost of my wife's birthday dinner that night I lost engine, body damage from the shitty tow company and add to that just the nervousness of what to expect after rebuilding. Come to Florida if ya want to do away with the emissions testing problem
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 11:21 PM   #5
x-tech7
Private
Rep
Drives: Mazda CX5, 2017 M6 coupe

TinCanSailor, I might have too. Getting tired of CA.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2020, 04:37 AM   #6
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
@Whipple Very glad to hear it was nothing catastrophic. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Subscribing to the thread.
Thanks , I’m looking forward to the pics myself, right now the shop is waiting for the Turbos to arrive, they give themselves a day to remove the Turbos and a day to reinstall them , so hopefully this week there done , I’m really in no rush since it’s not my daily
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 06:32 AM   #7
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by debdoub View Post
People leaving Cal. In drove, am one of them.

Fire & power outage every single year, very bad HWY's infrastructure, highest taxes, highest homelessness, filthiest streets, one of the most corrupt, the list goes on!!
It used to be one of the greatest15-20 years ago, now one of the worst.
We've weathered through several Hurricanes for sure but once have we lost power, barring August and September when it is hella hot weather is nice otherwise but the AC stays on. I was born in Cali and visit there pretty often for work but there is no way in the world I'd move there now. Like you said 15-20 ago it was perfect.

Come to sunny Florida, it is what Cali was 20 years ago.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 06:44 AM   #8
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Thanks , I’m looking forward to the pics myself, right now the shop is waiting for the Turbos to arrive, they give themselves a day to remove the Turbos and a day to reinstall them , so hopefully this week there done , I’m really in no rush since it’s not my daily
I was very fortunate to have a couple of czars to use when my engine ate itself. Not having that stress to rush out and make a poor decision on selecting the shop to rebuild my car. It was a first world problem and I know my blessings for sure.

I am curious about the E85/93Octane mix. Do you have anything you can point me to that would give a good technical explanation?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 05:21 PM   #9
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I was very fortunate to have a couple of czars to use when my engine ate itself. Not having that stress to rush out and make a poor decision on selecting the shop to rebuild my car. It was a first world problem and I know my blessings for sure.

I am curious about the E85/93Octane mix. Do you have anything you can point me to that would give a good technical explanation?
im not really sure 100% how this works I dont want to give you the wrong info,I asked my tuner and he told me not to do any more mods until I get my clutch upgraded, supposedly the computer will compensate for the E85 mixed with the 93 octane giving you more power ,I will find out exactly how much power and how much to mix ,the last I heard was around 4 gallons of e85 to top off 93
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2020, 05:08 PM   #10
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Just an update where im at,Still waiting on the Turbos from Pure ,When I originally spoke my indy shop the impression was it was going to be only a week to week and a half , a day to order, two to three days to ship and 2 two days to install ,I spoke to pure turbos myself and they said its usually a 3-4 week lead time as they build them to order, I spoke to my indy again there telling me another week or 2,so my car has been siting around there for almost 3 weeks untouched ,I can't complain because the car was smoking so bad I couldn't drive it any more, its just one of those things.
The car isn't my daily so its not killing me but I do miss it big time
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2020, 09:32 PM   #11
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Just another update ,I got the car back with the new Turbos ,I drove it straight home due to a snow storm next day ,I finally got to drive it for awhile yesterday and believe it or not my problem with the smoke is still there,

The indy shop assumed it was the Turbos now im in a different boat ,they shouid have pulled my plugs and do a compression test and scope the cylinders , if thats good might be valve stem seals

The power is stiil there and there is no noises coming from the engine, no check engine lights ,it seems to be running fine ,when it gets hot the smoke is really bad its undriveable ,going to bring it back to the shop in 2021 im done with 2020
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 11:18 PM   #12
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M6GC

Quote:
Just another update ,I got the car back with the new Turbos ,I drove it straight home due to a snow storm next day ,I finally got to drive it for awhile yesterday and believe it or not my problem with the smoke is still there,

The indy shop assumed it was the Turbos now im in a different boat ,they shouid have pulled my plugs and do a compression test and scope the cylinders , if thats good might be valve stem seals

The power is stiil there and there is no noises coming from the engine, no check engine lights ,it seems to be running fine ,when it gets hot the smoke is really bad its undriveable ,going to bring it back to the shop in 2021 im done with 2020
Might be a coolant Leak. Check your coolant level
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 04:18 AM   #13
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6Roar View Post
Might be a coolant Leak. Check your coolant level
Thanks , but it’s not coolant, all levels are fine , the smell is oil from the exhaust , also oil analysis came back with no extra fuel or coolant in oil
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 03:11 PM   #14
m6NYC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupé

Quote:
Thanks , but it’s not coolant, all levels are fine , the smell is oil from the exhaust , also oil analysis came back with no extra fuel or coolant in oil
This issue drove me crazy several months ago! I had plumes of white smoke shoot out of the exhaust that sometimes entered through the front windows during stoplights and would almost make me cough my lungs out. At times, it would smoke out entire intersections.

Pull all your plugs and double check for any that are wet/smell of gasoline. This was my first symptom of a leaking fuel injector. Brought it to both BMW and atleast 2 indy shops all of whom couldn't identify an issue because I wasn't throwing any error codes.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #15
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6NYC View Post
This issue drove me crazy several months ago! I had plumes of white smoke shoot out of the exhaust that sometimes entered through the front windows during stoplights and would almost make me cough my lungs out. At times, it would smoke out entire intersections.

Pull all your plugs and double check for any that are wet/smell of gasoline. This was my first symptom of a leaking fuel injector. Brought it to both BMW and atleast 2 indy shops all of whom couldn't identify an issue because I wasn't throwing any error codes.
Thanks I will look into this but the smell is oil from the exhaust , Car is going back to the shop early next week , there going to pull the plugs , check the compression , scope the cylinders,make sure my engine is fine then take it from there , I was thinking it can be a clogged turbo oil drain line can give this same problem , we will soon find out
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 04:42 PM   #16
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Hi guys I will end this thread here but the bad news is my motor is blown,I will be starting a new thread on the new build when the time comes,I believe I damaged a piston due to a faulty fuel injector ,The car still runs but spews oil smoke from the exhaust and I also hear a slight rod knock on load,All plans are decided for the rebuild I will share when I get data from the shop and we will see what exactly happened ,BTW No check engine lights, no drivetrain malfunction, I changed my oil every 2500 miles
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 01:00 PM   #17
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Damn man, I am terribly sorry. Wasn't there a parts recall or TSB issued for the injectors? I know it may be an up hill battle with BMW but it might be worth considering. Wishing you much success with the rebuild.

On this same note; I wonder if running with a jb4 w/out a tune just to for log watching would have helped catch the injector issue. When I return home it is something i am going to look into.
Appreciate 1
Whipple260.50
      02-01-2021, 07:34 PM   #18
leakingstems
Registered
Rep
Drives: f13

Quote:
Hi guys I will end this thread here but the bad news is my motor is blown,I will be starting a new thread on the new build when the time comes,I believe I damaged a piston due to a faulty fuel injector ,The car still runs but spews oil smoke from the exhaust and I also hear a slight rod knock on load,All plans are decided for the rebuild I will share when I get data from the shop and we will see what exactly happened ,BTW No check engine lights, no drivetrain malfunction, I changed my oil every 2500 miles
its your valve stem seals 100%
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 02:51 PM   #19
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Damn Kevin, sorry man. I don't know how I missed this thread this whole time but as I was reading it I kept saying to myself, "I hope his motor isn't blown, I hope his motor isn't blown." Yet here we are. You'll build a monster at the end of the day I'm sure of it. Keep us posted on your process, buddy.
Appreciate 1
Whipple260.50
      02-04-2021, 04:02 PM   #20
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post
Damn Kevin, sorry man. I don't know how I missed this thread this whole time but as I was reading it I kept saying to myself, "I hope his motor isn't blown, I hope his motor isn't blown." Yet here we are. You'll build a monster at the end of the day I'm sure of it. Keep us posted on your process, buddy.
Thanks ,The worse is over now ,its just tough knowing your engine is gone in such a nice car ,I will keep everyone posted what im doing with the rebuild,The car was shipped from NY to Texas to were the shop will be doing the work ,its not Rk autowerks, The shop will have my car for awhile ,im in no need of it now with all the snow and its not my daily so im making like its in storage for the winter lol.
When they finally get my engine apart and have some pics I will share them to see what actually happened and find out what caused it
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 04:14 PM   #21
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Damn man, I am terribly sorry. Wasn't there a parts recall or TSB issued for the injectors? I know it may be an up hill battle with BMW but it might be worth considering. Wishing you much success with the rebuild.

On this same note; I wonder if running with a jb4 w/out a tune just to for log watching would have helped catch the injector issue. When I return home it is something i am going to look into.
Thanks ,I know you went through this same thing ,its funny you really dont know how you feel until it happens and it sucks

Im not 100 percent sure if it was a failed injector until they take it apart it should be soon within the next 2 weeks ,thats was just my educated guess.

Yes that is a very good combo to run < JB4 with a back end flash with JB4 controlling the Meth ,good thing about that is you can run and change several tunes on the fly, you can also datalog and send files to your tuner to make sure everything is running ok.and you can watch the gauges I will be doing this 100% on my build
Appreciate 0