BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-02-2021, 05:33 PM   #3433
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I just picked up my 2022. It doesn’t have even a single CD player! My last two vehicles had a single, but you could save the CD so no need for a multiple player. It’s less painful because of Satellite radio but still! No, I don’t have music on my phone. WTF?!?!?
You can save the CD on mine but I still prefer something in my hand and play the album from my 80 CD music wallet, it feels more special.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15761.00
      09-02-2021, 05:35 PM   #3434
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

My Benz has an SD slot in the center storage box. I have hundreds of songs on it sorted by album and/or group. I don't listen to music in my car that much, though. Most of my driving these days consists of very short (<10min) trips. Hard to even get through one song.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12803.00
      09-02-2021, 05:35 PM   #3435
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Until tomorrow then..lights going off.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 05:40 PM   #3436
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
I just picked up my 2022. It doesn’t have even a single CD player! My last two vehicles had a single, but you could save the CD so no need for a multiple player. It’s less painful because of Satellite radio but still! No, I don’t have music on my phone. WTF?!?!?
Haha, I'm glad someone else around here doesn't listen to music off their damn phone!

My car doesn't have a CD player either and I don't miss that one bit. I'm all about high quality lossless audio FLAC files which fit tidily onto a jump drive and connected via a USB C port in the armrest and can hold a ton of music.

I used to be like Rick but got over that due to the sheer convenience of organizing FLAC files and not losing out on quality.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 05:42 PM   #3437
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
My Benz has an SD slot in the center storage box. I have hundreds of songs on it sorted by album and/or group. I don't listen to music in my car that much, though. Most of my driving these days consists of very short (<10min) trips. Hard to even get through one song.
The first car I owned that had an SD slot, 2 to be precise. It was a 2006 Audi A3. They were located behind the Navi screen. That's what turned me on to digital downloads. Interestingly it also had a 6 CD changer in the glovebox.

I had only seen SD slots in Audis until now. Didn't know they had them in MBs.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 05:45 PM   #3438
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Haha, I'm glad someone else around here doesn't listen to music off their damn phone!

My car doesn't have a CD player either and I don't miss that one bit. I'm all about high quality lossless audio FLAC files which fit tidily onto a jump drive and connected via a USB C port in the armrest and can hold a ton of music.

I used to be like Rick but got over that due to the sheer convenience of organizing FLAC files and not losing out on quality.
You may not listen to music on your phone but I have no idea WTF you are talking about with FLAC file. So, you know what to do. Get off my lawn already. Lol.
Appreciate 3
TiMSport12803.00
vreihen1615280.00
M5Rick60087.00
      09-02-2021, 05:45 PM   #3439
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
That's what I'm saying. Why the fuck are cassette players hundreds of dollars? I can't even remember the last time I saw a tape lol.
I dunno but apparently the cassette tape's inventor died earlier this year. I do not miss those damn things and using a pencil to repair them. Lol.

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/2...tion-helps.htm
I actually have an interesting story on this. I had friend in LA who's family had money. There's money and then there's MONEY. We used to go to Aspen in the winter as they had 2 cabins there. Places in NYC, Miami, "L" lived in Brentwood / Santa Monica in family homes and her parents had their house in the Palisades. Point is, any city we went to, chances were high they had a home there.

Her parents were socialites and as far as I could tell, he didn't work. So I finally asked her one day. I was hoping for some juicy Nazi story. (they were German)

"Look, I gotta ask. Your dad doesn't seem to work and gets a new 911 every year. What's up?"

L - "okay, you remember the cassette tape?"

Me - "yes…."

L - "well my daddy had a hand in the cassette tape. He patented a component of it."

Me - "that's sick! But wait, cassettes died out awhile ago."

"L" - "I didn't finish. You remember the CD player?"

Me - "No fucking way, he didn't."

"L" - "Well not entirely. They left him out of all that. So he patented the cd case cover."

Koeppe was their last name. I looked it up and yep. That's her old man. I don't know what he did exactly per se on the cassette but still such a bad ass story lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
TiMSport12803.00
vreihen1615280.00
      09-02-2021, 05:56 PM   #3440
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
You may not listen to music on your phone but I have no idea WTF you are talking about with FLAC file. So, you know what to do. Get off my lawn already. Lol.
LMAO! Okay, let me explain sloooooowly.

I assume you know what an MP3 file is. It's like that only a much higher quality (equivalent to original CD sound). They are much larger files so require more space to save them onto your listening device such as a phone (for example). Back in the day my complaint about MP3 music files was the quality of sound compared to CDs. FLAC took care of that problem for me.

Formal definition:
FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is a musical file format that offers bit-perfect copies of CDs but at half the size.

Anyway, I don't know about you but I enjoy good quality sound and my car has a decent system in it so that's why I enjoy playing those high quality music files. Not as good as listening at home on a quality system and/or headphones.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 05:58 PM   #3441
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I actually have an interesting story on this. I had friend in LA who's family had money. There's money and then there's MONEY. We used to go to Aspen in the winter as they had 2 cabins there. Places in NYC, Miami, "L" lived in Brentwood / Santa Monica in family homes and her parents had their house in the Palisades. Point is, any city we went to, chances were high they had a home there.

Her parents were socialites and as far as I could tell, he didn't work. So I finally asked her one day. I was hoping for some juicy Nazi story. (they were German)

"Look, I gotta ask. Your dad doesn't seem to work and gets a new 911 every year. What's up?"

Me - "yes…."

L - "well my daddy had a hand in the cassette tape. He patented a component of it."

"L" - "Well not entirely. They left him out of all that. So he patented the cd case cover."

Koeppe was their last name. I looked it up and yep. That's her old man. I don't know what he did exactly per se on the cassette but still such a bad ass story lol.

So he invented the jewel case CD cover?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 06:00 PM   #3442
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:

I assume you know what an MP3 file is. It's like that only a much higher quality (equivalent to original CD sound). They are much larger files so require more space to save them onto your listening device such as a phone (for example). Back in the day my complaint about MP3 music files was the quality of sound compared to CDs. FLAC took care of that problem for me.

Formal definition:
FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is a musical file format that offers bit-perfect copies of CDs but at half the size.

Anyway, I don't know about you but I enjoy good quality sound and my car has a decent system in it so that's why I enjoy playing those high quality music files. Not as good as listening at home on a quality system and/or headphones.
I’m
Fucking
Old

I either load a CD or tune into sat radio

Get off my lawn!
Appreciate 4
TiMSport12803.00
Dpc2u11503.00
shoei7779.00
vreihen1615280.00
      09-02-2021, 06:02 PM   #3443
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I’m
Fucking
Old

Get off my lawn!
Leaving lawn now.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 06:08 PM   #3444
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Me - "yes…."

So he invented the jewel case CD cover?
Unsure exactly as it was some 15 years ago that convo was had but something to do wit he the CD case cover.

I always chalked it up to something like the guy who invented the sleeve thing for coffee cups at Starbucks. He gets like a couple of cents for every coffee sold. I assumed her family got a couple of pennies for every CD or video game sold for a minute lol
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 06:09 PM   #3445
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Formal definition:

I’m
Fucking
Old

Get off my lawn!
I use sat radio too, don't worry lol
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 06:11 PM   #3446
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
But Sat radio has shit quality. You get spoiled when using better quality content.
Appreciate 1
shoei7779.00
      09-02-2021, 06:13 PM   #3447
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
Quote:
I remember those. Also those humongous laser disks !! For movies?
I still have one on a shelf in my basement.
Appreciate 2
shoei7779.00
TiMSport12803.00
      09-02-2021, 06:13 PM   #3448
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
But Sat radio has shit quality. You get spoiled when using better quality content.
Oh I'm fully aware but it usually get drowned out by the exhaust and engine sounds presently so it's acceptable
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 06:14 PM   #3449
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
Quote:
I remember those. Also those humongous laser disks !! For movies?
I still have one on a shelf in my basement.
I remember when I was younger, the old HR director, he had this massive ibm thing in his office on display on the floor. Finally asked and apparently it was 1mb or something ridiculous like that. It was the size of a fucking record player

It kinda looked like this (just the circular part) but way smaller and was in an acrylic cube. I don't know if cube is for display or original but still cool.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 06:21 PM   #3450
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 E93

Garage List
I think it safe to say that, if you can you remember at least 5 of these items its time to start thinking about long term care.

If you can remember 20 or more, then its time to turn in your Rotary Phone and 8-Track Cassettes and call it a day.

Appreciate 2
Dpc2u11503.00
3798j11413.50
      09-02-2021, 06:21 PM   #3451
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
I was blown away listening to Whole Lotta Love with quadraphonic speakers when I was a kid. I was blown away listening to a Beatles CD and hearing things I never heard before on 8 track.
Appreciate 3
JJ 911SC22424.50
shoei7779.00
vreihen1615280.00
      09-02-2021, 06:27 PM   #3452
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I was blown away listening to Whole Lotta Love with quadraphonic speakers when I was a kid. I was blown away listening to a Beatles CD and hearing things I never heard before on 8 track.
Yeah I know what you mean. I used to think I knew what good quality sounded like, including any number of CDs. Add to that a high quality pair of headphones or In-Ear Monitors (IEM) and it's stunning. You really hear a big difference and stuff you may have never heard before, even on a CD or similar. I think I'm probably into some music that you're not (although we agree grunge is good I think), but specifically speaking electronic based music. There's bass and then there's BASS. Not the hit you over the head slamming bass but deep into the bones bass that you can't hear on a substandard set. I know I'm sounding like a geek but I like what I like. Lol.

BTW, I hated 8-track because it lacked a fucking rewind function.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 06:28 PM   #3453
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelaxIN2 View Post
I think it safe to say that, if you can you remember at least 5 of these items its time to start thinking about long term care.

If you can remember 20 or more, then its time to turn in your Rotary Phone and 8-Track Cassettes and call it a day.

I think I'm safe for now.

In the movies section, I only know Airplane! And I thought mash was a tv show with the one actor, Allan Alda?

A lot of the songs I know but I mean, who doesn't know raindrops keep falling on my head lol.

The current events? I just found out in 2021 that we invaded Cambodia.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 06:32 PM   #3454
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E60 M5, F15 X5, E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelaxIN2 View Post

I stopped counting at 45. Call me a hearse I guess.

A lot of good memories there though!

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615280.00