BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-22-2020, 11:04 AM   #1
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Angeles Crest

Took a nice Sunday drive on the Angeles Crest Hwy, through the Angeles National Forest, right on up to Newcomb’s Ranch (which was closed). Perused a few motorcycles and then drove back down.

I realized that I had never been up that road in a car, only on my motorcycles (which I no longer have). It was a completely different experience - much more relaxing. The gran coupe can certainly handle the long sweepers at 20-30 MPH higher than the recommended with security and not too much drama. In the very tight curves though, she proved to be a handful. In Sport+, when understeer appeared, adding throttle always brought her rear end around and balanced the car.

I am used to driving more, uh, sport oriented cars (Acura NSX, SL55, C63, to name a few) and imho those cars are more well suited to strafing curves and hooliganism. Where the big GC excels is in long high speed cruising with long 100 mph+ sweepers, etc.

It also seems that even in Sport+ the nannies are still present. What’s up with that?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #2
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
In the very tight curves though, she proved to be a handful. In Sport+, when understeer appeared, adding throttle always brought her rear end around and balanced the car.
Was this with traction control off?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #3
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM6GC View Post
Was this with traction control off?
Yes. In Sport+.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 03:31 PM   #4
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting! Haven't had the balls (or perfect road/weather situation) to push mine with T/C off. With the nannies on, the T/C is so aggressive - granted that's due to how much power/torque there is to manage.

I've had a W205 C63 for some extended drives and I can't shake how much fun that car was to jump in and drive; so easy to kick the tail out at low speeds in a really progressive way. This was with T/C still on - because I never felt the need to turn it off! Made me feel like a better driver than I am.

Would be interested in hearing other's views on your driving experience and traction aids.
Appreciate 1
Frupal791.50
      06-25-2020, 09:50 AM   #5
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM6GC View Post
Interesting! Haven't had the balls (or perfect road/weather situation) to push mine with T/C off. With the nannies on, the T/C is so aggressive - granted that's due to how much power/torque there is to manage.

I've had a W205 C63 for some extended drives and I can't shake how much fun that car was to jump in and drive; so easy to kick the tail out at low speeds in a really progressive way. This was with T/C still on - because I never felt the need to turn it off! Made me feel like a better driver than I am.

Would be interested in hearing other's views on your driving experience and traction aids.
I agree completely about the C63! Mine was a 2008. That was the most fun car to drive! Too bad I’m spoiled by the luxury and smoothness of the 6. I am waiting to get a C8 corvette when they are more obtainable. Perhaps in a year or so.
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      06-25-2020, 10:58 AM   #6
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hopefully others can chime in with their experience, especially if they've modified their cars or found a way to up that low-speed fun factor.

Agree the GC is in a different league to the C-class for luxury/looks, and rightly so!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 07:17 PM   #7
benacto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M6 GC

I used to take my 550i up there... now I take my M6GC up... sway bars will help a lot. And always with TC off, cus with it on, you'll feel so disconnected to the road.