BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-17-2023, 07:06 PM   #1
ingl0405
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Arrow [Solved] Car Seats for a 650i convertible

Needless to say I wasn't planning to have a baby when I got this car, but I was pleasantly surprised that it has the child seat anchors, so I thought I was ok.
I recently went to a store and they were nice enough to let me try their car seats in my car.

When we tried installing them, only the smallest one sort of fit, and that's with me steering with my teeth.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience about what baby seats (for newborns) could work on a 2012 650i convertible (F12) in Canada?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Update: I was able to find one, scroll down to my reply for more info.

Last edited by ingl0405; 06-29-2023 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: Resolved the problem, posting the solution to help others
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 06:07 AM   #2
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

Mine are all grown up, hopefully having some of their own soon, but I do remember there being discussion on this a few month back. Search a bit though the forum and it should pop up.

L
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 09:38 AM   #3
machareus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 F06 M6 CP, '21 Alpina XB7

I suspect infant car sear fit will be tight in the F12 / F13.

I have had an infant car seat in my F06 for a year and a half behind the passenger seat. A few times I've had a 6ft+ passenger in the car and they were definitely cramped because of how far out the rear facing car seat had to sit. And that's with an extra ~5 inches of rear leg room.

I've seen pictures on this forum of an F12 owner with two booster seats in the back. However booster seats face forward so they don't take up as much space. This is the same reason why an X7 captain chair can't be moved forward to allow entrance into the third row if there's an infant car seat in the chair, but it can if there is a booster seat.

Any chance your passenger(s) can deal with the car seat behind them?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 10:08 AM   #4
ingl0405
Rep

Smile Solved

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

I was able to sort it out.
We went to a store here in Canada called Snugglebugz, and they actually have you park out front and will bring all the car seats out and help you fit them in your car.
We found a few that would fit, with the best ones being the Chicco Key Fit 35 and the best fitting one was the Uppababy Mesa v2. The mesa has a flattened back, which gives the seat in front a few extra inches. All other car seats had huge fabric covers, and they were all pointy and way too long.

The car seat does fit behind the passenger seat, but for best results, lift the seat up.

Unless you are very short, I wouldn't even try behind the driver's seat.

My wife who is on the shorter side was able to fit in the front seat and behind me as well (though I have to move my seat forward for that)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SWFLf10373.50
      07-01-2023, 07:48 AM   #5
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 640i GC,1994 300ZX MT 2+2

Congratulations! For both bundle of joy surprise and finding a fit. Thank you for sharing. This will help someone else in future.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 12:40 PM   #6
Rlntlss
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 F12

Rear facing car seat recommendations for 2024

I’m about to become a grandma and I need to install a rear facing child seat in my 2013 F12. The only information I could find in existing threads is quoted below. I’m wondering if anyone else has any recommendations. I’m new to the forum so I can’t private message the member about his post. He didn’t mention and I would like to know if the car seat is attached to a base or if the seat itself has been belted into the seat? I understand the length of the car seat is the biggest challenge. Has anyone ever tried to install a child seat in the center between the two rear seats? I’m curious about whether anyone has been able to place a rotating seat model in the rear?

I’m looking for all or updated solutions members have employed to solve this problem.

Thanks very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingl0405 View Post

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

I was able to sort it out.
We went to a store here in Canada called Snugglebugz, and they actually have you park out front and will bring all the car seats out and help you fit them in your car.
We found a few that would fit, with the best ones being the Chicco Key Fit 35 and the best fitting one was the Uppababy Mesa v2. The mesa has a flattened back, which gives the seat in front a few extra inches. All other car seats had huge fabric covers, and they were all pointy and way too long.

The car seat does fit behind the passenger seat, but for best results, lift the seat up.

Unless you are very short, I wouldn't even try behind the driver's seat.

My wife who is on the shorter side was able to fit in the front seat and behind me as well (though I have to move my seat forward for that)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 12:34 PM   #7
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Infant seats are hard they just take up so much space. I had an infant seat in the back of my E93 convertible which is smaller than the 6 and my wife who is only 5'4 had a hard time sitting in the passenger seat, she would rather be in the back seat. In my F06 I have a booster seat for my son and a 4 in 1 for my daughter that is rear-facing for now but because she is closer to 2 I can angle it up more so I have room to sit in front of it. When i was in the more laid back setting I could only have it on the passenger side and it took up a lot of space. Cant wait to turn this thing around in a few months, it gives you so much more space when they face forward.
      04-20-2024, 11:06 PM   #8
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep

This is the best for older kids (4yo+) in my opinion:

I use this one for 2-4yo:

Any rear facing newborn carseat even without base won't fit F13, technically does not go through open door and fully pulled forward front seat.
Appreciate 0