BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

View Poll Results: Aftermarket Downpipe??
YES 0 0%
NO 1 6.67%
CATTED 1 6.67%
CATLESS 13 86.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

03-18-2019, 07:55 PM   #1
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

How Safe Are Aftermarket Catted Downpipes

Hey All,

I’m in the process of doing some needed modifications to my F13 and I am at a crossroad with adding an aftermarket catted downpipe, because I have seen so many mixed reviews about them. So, I need all of your feedbacks on the pros & cons of aftermarket downpipes on our M6? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 04:51 AM   #2
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

In my opinion if your going to change the downpipes just go catless, I’m not sure how much a catted downpipe is going to change the sound of the car? why would you take a cat out to put one back in? , Im going catless , doing my research vrsf >fabworx>AMS ranging from $500 to $2000 are the popular brands , I’m going with catless ceramic coated by Fabworx , there good quality and not the most expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 06:25 AM   #3
ikenjoku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i

Garage List
2014 f13 M6  [0.00]
Excuse the thread jack but is the smell of catless dps really as bad as everyone makes it sound? I really want to go stage 2 but not if everyone is looking at my car in disgust from the smell; instead, I was gonna go with high flow cats but the general consensus seems to think that that's a waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
Pathkiller
Rep
Drives: F06 M6 GC

I went with a catless DP on my last car and had read complaints of odor prior. Those people either are much more sensitive to such things than I or spend too much time idling in their garage.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
I went with a catless DP on my last car and had read complaints of odor prior. Those people either are much more sensitive to such things than I or spend too much time idling in their garage.

That’s funny. I always planned on going catless. I was just concerned that it may be harmful to my vehicle over the long run. Did you have any check engine light?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 11:26 AM   #6
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
In my opinion if your going to change the downpipes just go catless, I’m not sure how much a catted downpipe is going to change the sound of the car? why would you take a cat out to put one back in? , Im going catless , doing my research vrsf >fabworx>AMS ranging from $500 to $2000 are the popular brands , I’m going with catless ceramic coated by Fabworx , there good quality and not the most expensive.
I totally agree with you. That’s why I came here to get all of your feedback. Does the check engine light come on with catless downpipes?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 11:46 AM   #7
Pathkiller
Rep
Drives: F06 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6DYS View Post

That’s funny. I always planned on going catless. I was just concerned that it may be harmful to my vehicle over the long run. Did you have any check engine light?
You'll definitely get a CEL unless you run some sort of adapter to the downstream O2's, I just had mine turned off in the tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 10:29 PM   #8
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
You'll definitely get a CEL unless you run some sort of adapter to the downstream O2's, I just had mine turned off in the tune.
I figured as much. What tune are you running? I’m yet to add a tune to my car.
Appreciate 0