BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-06-2018, 10:14 PM   #1
BetterCallBern
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Coupe - Alpine/Sakhir

Hello my fellow M6-ers! Just got my new (to me) 2014 coupe not too long ago but i've really been itching lately to mod the car a bit. I have warranty through mid-2020, but i've read that there are a couple tunes that can revert back to factory pretty easily in the event that I ever have to play dumb with my service advisor. Am I completely off base with this?

Im also debating whether or not to bypass the exhaust. I know a proper aftermarket exhaust is the appropriate thing to do, but I don't really want to do DPs (at least not yet) and I really don't want to (can't) spend 5k+ on an akra or meistercraft. Has anyone had any luck with the SOUL performance or turner motorsports setup? Has anyone had a muffler shop make one for them?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2018, 04:01 AM   #2
Hotsawwce
Private
Rep
Drives: M6

If you have a tune then they will find out if they want to. I have bootmod3 tune on my car and I brought in my car under warranty for repairs and they still found out about the tune even after I flashed back to stock and locked the DMEs. For the exhaust just have a muffler shop fabricate a custom piece to save a lot of money
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2018, 08:39 AM   #3
Knightro_Circus
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [0.00]
I went with the SOUL performance exhaust and have been extremely happy with it. As my ambient temp sensor is telling the car it's -40 in Texas right now so the AC won't turn on, I've had more of an "opportunity" to hear it with the windows down lately.

I just put on the OpenFlashTablet stage 1 tune last week so been getting after it more. Hearing the exhaust and having the tune have left a giant grin permanently on my face. For $800 the open flash tune felt like a good starter deal to me. It's a tablet they send you that stores your factory ECU settings then you can write which tune you get from those guys. Mine is currently a stage 1 93 octane flat torque tune that bumps it to 630/550. Haven't hit a dyno yet but the pull and turbo spool up from 2500 rpm is def faster and a lot more fun. This is their second version of that tune so they constantly working to make it even better.

Hope that helps. Hard to get video and audio of the exhaust as I don't have a GoPro or anything to set up while driving. Mike at Soul and Anthony at OpenFlash we're both responsive to emails and texts throughout the whole buying process so that was an extra plus in dealing with them.
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 comp

Garage List
Knightro, hows the drone w the soul exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #5
Knightro_Circus
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [0.00]
It's there but nothing unreasonable. Coming from my teenage years with imports during the fast and furious days, it's nothing like that. I haven't really done any extended long hauls with it it on yet so can't say how annoying it would be after a few hours hearing it.

My commute to work is an hour each way every day and it doesn't bother me. But then again I'm usually looking for someone to semi-race to liven up the drive. That and I'm sport plus all the way playing on the highway.

Overall I've got about 5k miles with it on now and have been happy with it, no points where I regretted going with it over something else. Plus I have gotten a lot of compliments on how it sounds too.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2018, 05:29 PM   #6
BetterCallBern
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Coupe - Alpine/Sakhir

Knightro - Did you eliminate the resonators as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 05:48 PM   #7
Knightro_Circus
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [0.00]
The exhaust came with their own resonators. There is a dimple in the exhaust pipe about two feet up from the muffler where it's cut, remove mufflers, plug valve tubes, mount up new pipes, and adjust tips. It's pretty much close to a straight pipe with little resonators, the cavity where the mufflers once were looks empty with the little resonators in there now.

The tips are attached with clamps so would have to drop out the whole exhaust to have the bolts on top to hide them. I got the black tips so planning on powder coating the clamps soon then having them mounted with bolts on top. It doesn't look bad with them on the bottom, would just look cleaner with them black too and the bolts hidden on top.
Appreciate 1