BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-10-2023, 08:22 PM   #1
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Still winning despite 2 losses

Full disclosure; I was fucking around and I found out. I take full ownership of my current state of affairs when it comes to my car. This post is in now way meant to be a reflection of the creative and hardworking people and companies mentioned below.

I’ve been slowly but surely adding bolt ons, using BM3 and XHP. I have have also been a diligent owner when it comes to having my M6 maintained. All of these things worked very well and despite how things ended; I am extremely happy with the performance of all these great tools.

I suspected that I was getting close to the ledge, hat tip to Eric B and Rakim’s “Know the Ledge”, and had recently been shopping forged rods and pistons. I am sure if I checked the emails it would have been within a week or two before I threw a rod about a week ago.

I’ve long been a proponent of slow and deliberate as well as taking care of secondary and even the tertiary systems affected by HP adders.

All that to say I pushed things a little too much recently and to quote Eric B and Rakim “I guess I didn't know the ledge.”

Please be mindful of your proximity to the ledge with these cars.
Attached Images

2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2023, 10:27 PM   #2
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep
Drives: LCI M6 GC, other stuff.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

How much were you pushing it? For whatever reason I always got the impression you were playing more on the conservative side.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2023, 12:41 AM   #3
jporter396
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw m6 POS

Sorry to hear man. Least you know where the limit is now haha. What were you pushing roughly when it went ? Keep us up to date on the rebuild !
Appreciate 2
      07-11-2023, 12:41 AM   #4
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ///M6 F13

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
[QUOTE=TinCanSailor;30296342]Full disclosure; I was fucking around and I found out. I take full ownership of my current state of affairs when it comes to my car. This post is in now way meant to be a reflection of the creative and hardworking people and companies mentioned below.

I’ve been slowly but surely adding bolt ons, using BM3 and XHP. I have have also been a diligent owner when it comes to having my M6 maintained. All of these things worked very well and despite how things ended; I am extremely happy with the performance of all these great tools.

I suspected that I was getting close to the ledge, hat tip to Eric B and Rakim’s “Know the Ledge”, and had recently been shopping forged rods and pistons. I am sure if I checked the emails it would have been within a week or two before I threw a rod about a week ago.

I’ve long been a proponent of slow and deliberate as well as taking care of secondary and even the tertiary systems affected by HP adders.

Man, I'm really sorry to hear this. I think ppl just tend to push these motors way too much. They're just too expensive to experiment on unfortunately. Are you going to fix it or going to move on to something else?
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2023, 08:10 AM   #5
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

How much were you pushing it? For whatever reason I always got the impression you were playing more on the conservative side.
I definitely had been keeping things safe. After I started using the XHP software and had my injectors replaced the DTM message stopped. I wish I had some actual numbers for y’all but the only point of reference I had was the brief time that I did some 60 to 100 runs at night; I saw the sport gauge easily clear 720Hp. The day that it happened there was a clear stretch of road and found myself briefly in a WOT period and that is when it happened.

It was end of June when I had one of my most recent emails with the folks at 5150 about new rods and pistons. I hadn’t gotten my car dyno’d yet so everything was using OTS tunes. I honestly shouldn’t have been on the gas like that yet. sigh.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 08:13 AM   #6
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jporter396 View Post
Sorry to hear man. Least you know where the limit is now haha. What were you pushing roughly when it went ? Keep us up to date on the rebuild !
LoL, yup. I definitely know how not to drive it now 😄

The last that I looked on the sport gauge settings was a little north of 720HP and it was definitely not getting driven like it was the day I lost it.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 08:19 AM   #7
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Jesus sorry to hear, and you don't have that many miles on your stock rebuild do ya?
Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2023, 08:25 AM   #8
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=danielgmanm6;30296925]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Full disclosure; I was fucking around and I found out. I take full ownership of my current state of affairs when it comes to my car. This post is in now way meant to be a reflection of the creative and hardworking people and companies mentioned below.

Man, I'm really sorry to hear this. I think ppl just tend to push these motors way too much. They're just too expensive to experiment on unfortunately. Are you going to fix it or going to move on to something else?
I am going to buy a en engine built with forged rods as I do like the car a lot. I normally do not drive like that but I got caught up in the moment and I got greedy with the throttle.

I’d slowly been putting other components in the car such as the diff brace and Mishimoto oil cooler, all in preparation to getting to the point of installing the Mr Vanos rods or the 5150 Carrillo rods.

My hope is that my lesson helps save someone else this heartache. As you said, folks tend to push these things a lil too hard and I let myself become one of those pushers before the car was ready.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 08:31 AM   #9
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSteven View Post
Jesus sorry to hear, and you don't have that many miles on your stock rebuild do ya?
I don’t recall what was on the gauges when it all occurred but I think close to 30k in just over 3 years time. Due to my work schedule; I only get to drive it every 2 months. My wife would drive it on occasion while her car was at our Indy shop in Largo, Fl for maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 08:05 PM   #10
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
These engines seem to blow regardless of the mileage, whether they're properly maintained , or how they're driven. It seems that the ones I've seen have all been extremely low miles and after a recent oil change. These engines are a 50k ticking time bomb. My car has really low miles so I thought I was safe, I'm not. I've gotten so crazy I've looked at m6s for sale with my year and close to my vin number to see what kind of mileage they have lmao. I got a power train warranty so I prob shouldn't worry. I love the car but don't need a money put lol. I take amazing care of it, you think I would be okay hahahha
Appreciate 2
      07-11-2023, 10:55 PM   #11
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgmanm6 View Post
These engines seem to blow regardless of the mileage, whether they're properly maintained , or how they're driven. It seems that the ones I've seen have all been extremely low miles and after a recent oil change. These engines are a 50k ticking time bomb. My car has really low miles so I thought I was safe, I'm not. I've gotten so crazy I've looked at m6s for sale with my year and close to my vin number to see what kind of mileage they have lmao. I got a power train warranty so I prob shouldn't worry. I love the car but don't need a money put lol. I take amazing care of it, you think I would be okay hahahha
Yeah my first engine had rod bearings done by BMW so it’s easy to say we are all sitting on a powder keg waiting to blow. The powertrain warranty can help control total cost of ownership and once you near the end of its coverage would warrant revisiting further ownership. That said folks still buy and adore their S85 M5/M6’s despite knowing all the perils that await them.

A popular YouTuber in the BMW community recently bought an S85 M5 and despite lots of digging and understanding of the problems of the platform bought the car any way and ended up being lied to and decided to make the car right anyway. Grated he is likely getting monetized for his coverage of the rebuild. I can’t help but wonder why we are so vexed by these damn things that despite all the warnings and signs we go head first into them.

I was shopping for an S85 when I found this car and only considered it because my wife’s F10 550 had been such a good car and still is at nearly 169k miles.

I am as smitten with the S85 today as I was years ago and would still buy one if I had the garage spaces. It’s a very complex and weird thing to me and perplexes me more so than JD Salingers “Catcher in the Rye.” I’ve read it several times and still am not certain why I am drawn to it and still uncertain about its deeper meaning yet I feel like I identify with Holden Caulfield. That said I don’t know why.

For those that are looking please be mindful for those that own; I hope ya don’t find the ledge and in some small way I hope that I can keep folks from going over like Holden wished to in the catcher in the rye.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2023, 05:19 AM   #12
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah my first engine had rod bearings done by BMW so it’s easy to say we are all sitting on a powder keg waiting to blow. The powertrain warranty can help control total cost of ownership and once you near the end of its coverage would warrant revisiting further ownership. That said folks still buy and adore their S85 M5/M6’s despite knowing all the perils that await them.

A popular YouTuber in the BMW community recently bought an S85 M5 and despite lots of digging and understanding of the problems of the platform bought the car any way and ended up being lied to and decided to make the car right anyway. Grated he is likely getting monetized for his coverage of the rebuild. I can’t help but wonder why we are so vexed by these damn things that despite all the warnings and signs we go head first into them.

I was shopping for an S85 when I found this car and only considered it because my wife’s F10 550 had been such a good car and still is at nearly 169k miles.

I am as smitten with the S85 today as I was years ago and would still buy one if I had the garage spaces. It’s a very complex and weird thing to me and perplexes me more so than JD Salingers “Catcher in the Rye.” I’ve read it several times and still am not certain why I am drawn to it and still uncertain about its deeper meaning yet I feel like I identify with Holden Caulfield. That said I don’t know why.

For those that are looking please be mindful for those that own; I hope ya don’t find the ledge and in some small way I hope that I can keep folks from going over like Holden wished to in the catcher in the rye.

There's a reason a $150k car is 40 grand lol
Appreciate 2
      07-12-2023, 07:51 AM   #13
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgmanm6 View Post
There's a reason a $150k car is 40 grand lol
Truth! There isn’t a fix for that kind of depreciation. 😔
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 12:23 AM   #14
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
Sorry to hear about this. I’ve also read about some of the previous work, mods, and other strings you’ve had. Any update on the car?
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2023, 06:42 PM   #15
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdriv3r View Post
Sorry to hear about this. I’ve also read about some of the previous work, mods, and other strings you’ve had. Any update on the car?
Sent a rod through the bottom of the car and currently discussing a forged engine option from RK. Thankfully prices on the forged engines have dropped recently so the price is right on the engine. The timing is a bit unfortunate as we recently replaced the roof on our home so moving the cash is a little challenging or complicated as the money is in the market. So if I take that money now the cost hurts more due to things being down.

The added cost of a unviable core for exchange increases the cost. So this is not the popular option but as of this morning I have kind of considered selling the car as a rolling chassis to someone.
Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r148.50
      07-14-2023, 11:03 PM   #16
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Sent a rod through the bottom of the car and currently discussing a forged engine option from RK. Thankfully prices on the forged engines have dropped recently so the price is right on the engine. The timing is a bit unfortunate as we recently replaced the roof on our home so moving the cash is a little challenging or complicated as the money is in the market. So if I take that money now the cost hurts more due to things being down.

The added cost of a unviable core for exchange increases the cost. So this is not the popular option but as of this morning I have kind of considered selling the car as a rolling chassis to someone.

If it didn't have so many miles on the body I would say definitely do it, but since other costly items can/will show up I think that's the right decision. Man, I hate that for you! Well, hopefully you end up with something better out of this shitty turn of events.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 11:26 PM   #17
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
A forged build would be great. I understand the cost for such as well. I pm’d you a couple things I found. Please keep us up to date.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 01:27 PM   #18
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your engine from RK, I remember a couple years ago when it blew, I never understood when you were rebuilding you didn’t do forged rods pistons, Even if you leave it stock forged is just making it bulletproof. Sorry to say The stock rods and pistons are garbage , the pistons are made from wafers and the rods made out of twizzlers , It’s called the chocolate engine 😂

I remember shortly after your rod bearing issue my engine cracked a piston leaving oil smoke out the exhaust , I had mine rebuilt with forged CP Carillo rods and pistons , DME stage 3 ,Bluetooth JB4 controlling boost and Meth, CPCarillo rods and Pistons ,SSP Spec R clutch , Stage 3 XHP trans tune,Fabworx catless DPs , Full Akra exhaust 872whp/931tq Built by Texas Pure Performance , I’ve had this setup for a couple years now and did hundreds of 150+mph pulls still running very strong , If you do decide to rebuild I feel forged is your best option,
I know it can be disheartening but any platform with these power levels things can happen , I know you really loved your car and I hope and wish you the best to get her all fixed up
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2023, 04:34 PM   #19
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Sorry to hear about your engine from RK, I remember a couple years ago when it blew, I never understood when you were rebuilding you didn’t do forged rods pistons, Even if you leave it stock forged is just making it bulletproof. Sorry to say The stock rods and pistons are garbage , the pistons are made from wafers and the rods made out of twizzlers , It’s called the chocolate engine 😂

I remember shortly after your rod bearing issue my engine cracked a piston leaving oil smoke out the exhaust , I had mine rebuilt with forged CP Carillo rods and pistons , DME stage 3 ,Bluetooth JB4 controlling boost and Meth, CPCarillo rods and Pistons ,SSP Spec R clutch , Stage 3 XHP trans tune,Fabworx catless DPs , Full Akra exhaust 872whp/931tq Built by Texas Pure Performance , I’ve had this setup for a couple years now and did hundreds of 150+mph pulls still running very strong , If you do decide to rebuild I feel forged is your best option,
I know it can be disheartening but any platform with these power levels things can happen , I know you really loved your car and I hope and wish you the best to get her all fixed up
Yeah if I could do it over I would have waited a little bit longer. Given all the time I took in researching and making my decision I ended up going with the stock rebuild due to work and life scheduling conflicts.

That said I am definitely getting the engine built it will have forged rods, stock pistons and @rkautowerks upgraded e85 exhaust cams as I already have the F90 HPFP's. Since I am not shooting for a 1k HP car; I am have decided to forego the piston upgrades. I see all the opinion floating around about clutches and can't get myself in that headspace right now on trying to decide a manufacturer for those.
Appreciate 1
mikerx5438.50
      07-30-2023, 01:18 PM   #20
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Yeah if I could do it over I would have waited a little bit longer. Given all the time I took in researching and making my decision I ended up going with the stock rebuild due to work and life scheduling conflicts.

That said I am definitely getting the engine built it will have forged rods, stock pistons and @rkautowerks upgraded e85 exhaust cams as I already have the F90 HPFP's. Since I am not shooting for a 1k HP car; I am have decided to forego the piston upgrades. I see all the opinion floating around about clutches and can't get myself in that headspace right now on trying to decide a manufacturer for those.
Awesome I’m glad you’re rebuilding, I see you said your gonna use stock pistons?, why wouldn’t you just installed forged while you’re in there , CP Carrillo has a nice kit that is all pre balanced designed for the S63tu
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2023, 03:08 PM   #21
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Awesome I’m glad you’re rebuilding, I see you said your gonna use stock pistons?, why wouldn’t you just installed forged while you’re in there , CP Carrillo has a nice kit that is all pre balanced designed for the S63tu
I am definitely reconsidering the pistons.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 03:52 PM   #22
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Not too sure if I am going to be able to collect photos of the engine removal and install as I am currently away from home on deployment. The work of my indy shop/trusted advisors, Midnite Tuning Inc, is more important to me than the pictures but I will ask for some but want to respect their time and effort.

Here are the build specs; I am especially excited about the Cam upgrade as it will allow me to run E85 as I had Midnite install new F90 pumps for me about a month prior to my getting greedy with the throttle input. I had new EU6 injectors, Coils and Plugs done at the same time I had the F90 HPFP's installed.

@rkautowerks S63TU - F1x M5/6 - Forged
-Replacement of all wear items OE BMW parts - Gaskets, seals, stretch bolts
-New valve stem seals with the latest revision from BMW
-Rebuilt oil pump
-Micro polished crank
-Upgraded rod bearings
-Carrillo Forged Connecting Rods
-CP Forged Pistons - S63TU - F1x M5 M6
-F1X S63TU Exhaust Cam DI Upgrade BMW F1X S63TU Exhaust Cam DI Upgrade
Appreciate 0