BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-01-2022, 01:28 PM   #1
SpikySimonW
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F13 640d | E60 M5 | E66 730d

Folding mirrors on lock = have to hold the keyfob lock button down briefly?

Hi,

So after owning a F13 for many many years I finally got round to coding the mirrors to auto fold on locking.. mostly because that's what my other vehicles do so now seems 'odd' that this one didn't!

Previously - when I could be bothered - I did it using the convenient close feature, ie. held the lock button down after locking until the mirrors folded up (along with the windows if opened etc).

Now, having coded it on lock, I originally thought it wasn't working: pressed lock on the keyfob, the car locked, but no mirrors folding. But then I (accidentally) realised if I held my finger on the lock button for just a tiny bit longer, sure enough they folded up. We're talking not even 0.5 seconds longer, definitely not long enough to be activating the convenient closing feature (also proved by leaving the windows open and them not closing). So is this it - the same for everyone - just hold the lock button for a tiny little bit longer than normal?! Or is something up?

(on a possibly related note, I tried this when sitting inside and noticed the car sounding like it was actually locking twice - as in I could hear the relays/solenoids being activated twice in close succession - again is this normal?)

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 02:08 PM   #2
Bluefoz
Private
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Ltd Ed., iX3 Pro

I've done the same ie coding them in and exactly the same as yours - one quick press and they don't fold, slightly longer (a fraction of a second) and they do. The only annoying thing with this is the slightly longer press means that the sunroof interior blind starts closing. Only about an inch or so, but after a few locks / unlocks means that you need to physically open the blind - first world problem, but annoying all the same!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 05:47 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

If you have comfort access ridges on your door handle…try using that and see if the mirrors fold in. Perhaps you’d end up preferring that feature to lock the car better than using the lock button on the fob.

Due to the car having an anti-lock out feature….when you try to lock the vehicle with the remote and its INSIDE the car…it usually UNLOCKS the doors…take note if that is why you hear extended door lock actuator noises.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 03:49 AM   #4
SpikySimonW
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoz View Post
I've done the same ie coding them in and exactly the same as yours - one quick press and they don't fold, slightly longer (a fraction of a second) and they do. The only annoying thing with this is the slightly longer press means that the sunroof interior blind starts closing. Only about an inch or so, but after a few locks / unlocks means that you need to physically open the blind - first world problem, but annoying all the same!
Good to know, thanks. I don’t have a sunroof so no such irritation for me.

I did notice there was lots of convenient closing related delay settings you code code, ie. the delay/length of time between holding the buttons down - initiating - moving onto the next component etc. I didn’t pay too much attention because being a 2-door without a sunroof I just have the two windows.. might be worth you having a look to see if you can insert a couple of seconds delay? Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 03:53 AM   #5
SpikySimonW
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
If you have comfort access ridges on your door handle…try using that and see if the mirrors fold in. Perhaps you’d end up preferring that feature to lock the car better than using the lock button on the fob.

Due to the car having an anti-lock out feature….when you try to lock the vehicle with the remote and its INSIDE the car…it usually UNLOCKS the doors…take note if that is why you hear extended door lock actuator noises.
Thanks for the info, sadly I don’t have comfort access - didn’t see the point at the time of purchase, though I have to admit now I regularly drive other vehicles with it on and which means I occasionally fail trying to get into the 640d without unlocking it first!

I’ll pay more attention to the locking/unlocking next time I’m in the car, again I’m not sure my car will have the antilock feature what with it not having the comfort access. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 10:39 AM   #6
debauch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post

Comfort access behaves the same as the fob. Quick press and mirrors don’t fold in. Hold down and mirrors fold in.
      07-02-2022, 08:27 PM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikySimonW View Post
Thanks for the info, sadly I don’t have comfort access - didn’t see the point at the time of purchase, though I have to admit now I regularly drive other vehicles with it on and which means I occasionally fail trying to get into the 640d without unlocking it first!

I’ll pay more attention to the locking/unlocking next time I’m in the car, again I’m not sure my car will have the antilock feature what with it not having the comfort access. Cheers.
Have you gone back into the app to see how you have things coded? As mentioned above…you can change the delay time for convenience closing. Perhaps if you don’t have .05 seconds selected..you would prefer that time interval better (see info below from the Bimmercodeapp website in regard to mirror folding & convenience closing)

You can do a simple & quick test to see if you have an anti-lock out feature for the fob. Just roll the windows down, then place the remote on the inside of the car…and then try to lock the doors using the remote fob. Do the same for the trunk..just to see if the feature is installed. Again, make sure the windows are down so in case it doesn’t work, you can reach in and press the interior trunk release button down by the hood release pull.

You also need to code two different modules for mirror fold/convenience fold. It involves the FRM module & the CAS module.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 07:41 AM   #8
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I like the short delay. I don't really want/need the mirrors to fold in every single time I lock the car. That seems like unnecessary wear on those little motors.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 09:42 PM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

FYI…while out today…i took notice of my remote lock button…and as soon as i press the button, the mirrors fold & the doors lock. There is no delay when i press the button. I must have coded either no delay or the .05 sec delay.

If I press & hold the button…then convenience close of the windows then the sunroof occur. I do remember coding longer time intervals for windows & sunroof to prevent the shade from closing all the way when using this feature. But the shade still starts to close a little if i try to close the roof panel, too.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 02:44 AM   #10
SpikySimonW
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the detailed replies Qsilver7 .

I think you've highlighted one of the main bits of confusion surrounding this (very dull!) topic: is "fold/unfold mirrors on lock/unlock automatically" part of the wider convenience closing/opening feature, or something separate.. and which leads into whether or not a) you are activating convenience closing on lock without holding the button down beyond very briefly and b) whether the convenience closing/opening delays are therefore relevant?

Personally I've always considered them two discrete features ie. by default my car didn't fold its mirrors on locking, though this could be achieved by making use of the convenient closing feature (holding the button down for a time beyond locking). I started this thread as I wanted to enable the former, and having done so I'm not 100% convinced either way that I now have something different or instead just convenient closing operating a little faster than before! Said differently, I'm now unsure whether it's a separate feature or just convenient closing parameters manipulated so as to make what I always had happen slightly quicker!

Last edited by SpikySimonW; 07-05-2022 at 02:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 02:45 AM   #11
SpikySimonW
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
I like the short delay. I don't really want/need the mirrors to fold in every single time I lock the car. That seems like unnecessary wear on those little motors.
Good point!

Last edited by SpikySimonW; 07-05-2022 at 02:51 AM..
Appreciate 0