BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-11-2021, 08:06 AM   #1
CHK1003
Registered
Rep
Drives: F06

Retrofit M6 Gear Selector to 640ix

Hi,

I just retrofitted the carbon interior trims and therefore I needed to replace the gear selector unit (with buttons) as the original one wouldn't fit in those M6 trims.

Now I have the problem that there are more buttons on the M6 gear selector and because of that the connection cables are different.

- The original gear selector has 2 cables. One for the gear selector itself and one for the buttons (11-PIN)
- The M6 gear selector has 3 cables. One for the gear selector itself (fits perfectly) and two cables with less than 11 PIN (don't know exactly, it's in my car right now)

Well, at the moment I can drive my car but those buttons arround the gear selector are not working (drive mode, PDC, etc.) what sucks and causes an error message about the not working drive modes very often.

So my questions:
- Did anybody do this retrofit? Couldn't find anything in the forum search
- Are there maybe adapters?
- I know I wont be able to use M6 features like adjusting steering wheel or suspension, but features like drive mode should be possible

Here you see the original unit:
https://bit.ly/3yK3lrN
Here the m6 unit:
https://bit.ly/36rz595

Last edited by CHK1003; 07-11-2021 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

All I can tell you is that in the 3+ years I've been on here I've not seen a thread on this subject that I recall. Might be less headache to get the correct carbon fiber piece for an F06.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 02:31 PM   #3
CHK1003
Registered
Rep

I do not think a carbon panel for a "standard" F06 exists. I can only find ones for M6s.

Maybe somebody has informations about the pin assignment from those plugs?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 04:02 PM   #4
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep
Drives: LCI M6 GC, other stuff.

The gear selector itself, controls around the gear selector, and parking brake are on 3 separate runs. Does that lend any insight into what you are looking for?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 04:10 PM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHK1003 View Post
I do not think a carbon panel for a "standard" F06 exists. I can only find ones for M6s.

Maybe somebody has informations about the pin assignment from those plugs?
Maybe not. I thought carbon fiber was an option, albeit a rare one, on the F12, 13 and 06.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 04:40 PM   #6
J_ONeill
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 650ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Maybe not. I thought carbon fiber was an option, albeit a rare one, on the F12, 13 and 06.
I've been looking myself for a carbon fiber center console. Only thing I could find directly from BMW was aluminum and wood

Enter your year and model to get specific parts
https://www.getbmwparts.com/search?s...ole+front+trim

They do offer carbon fiber door trim for non M models
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 10:14 PM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_ONeill View Post
I've been looking myself for a carbon fiber center console. Only thing I could find directly from BMW was aluminum and wood

Enter your year and model to get specific parts
https://www.getbmwparts.com/search?s...ole+front+trim

They do offer carbon fiber door trim for non M models
Hmm, that would be odd - carbon fiber doors and a wood or aluminum center console. I've certainly never seen a car like that, but thought for sure I'd seen some with all carbon. Maybe I'm just old.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 11:01 PM   #8
J_ONeill
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 650ix

Did more digging and found a carbon piece. Dont know why but this says its only fits 2018 650/640 verts????

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...IFJlc3VsdHM%3D
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 07:58 AM   #9
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Did more digging and found a carbon piece. Dont know why but this says its only fits 2018 650/640 verts????

I'm still old, but maybe not crazy! That crude drawing in the link is not for a convertible because it lacks the square cutout for the top switch. But I see that it says for the convertible. I think that piece for a Gran Coupe might be shorter, so maybe it was not offered.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 04:58 AM   #10
CHK1003
Registered
Rep

First of all thank you for your replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
The gear selector itself, controls around the gear selector, and parking brake are on 3 separate runs. Does that lend any insight into what you are looking for?
It does, but I do not think that is totally correct. It is correct that there are 3 separate runs in the M6, as I have 3 sockets in gear selector and controls around. But due to lack of 1 run in my 640ix I was only able to connect 1 plug (gear selector itself) and my parking brake is working. So in my understanding there is one run for the gear selector and parking brake and 2 runs for the controls around.

Quote:

I did some research and ended in our german shop. https://www.hubauer-shop.de/de/satz-...168072319.html
It seems to me that carbon was only offered to the M6 AND (thanks for your digging) the convertible! The part you found seems to have an extra cutout for the control of the roof.

Best wishes from germany.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #11
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep
Drives: LCI M6 GC, other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHK1003 View Post
It does, but I do not think that is totally correct. It is correct that there are 3 separate runs in the M6, as I have 3 sockets in gear selector and controls around. But due to lack of 1 run in my 640ix I was only able to connect 1 plug (gear selector itself) and my parking brake is working. So in my understanding there is one run for the gear selector and parking brake and 2 runs for the controls around.
I was more pointing out how the runs were for the M6 to give confirmation while assuming they were different on the 640 when considering the placement of the controls and lack of DCT. Just trying to help give you success in your mission.
Appreciate 0