BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

08-24-2020, 11:59 AM   #1
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Older paint Better than today?

At the moment I have two cars. My beloved 2016 640i GC, and my gorgeous little Magma Red CLK430. The Benz has only 31k on the clock and she looks it, inside and out. The thing is, I wash and wax them with the same products, good ones, and today I washed the Benz and noticed that it was basically ALLERGIC to the water. For some reason it seems to bead up and off much faster than the Beemer. Did they use different paint back in the day 20 years ago? Of course they did. Was it better? Or is this just a factor of a more steeply raked hood. Or perhaps I’ve completely lost my mind. Your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 02:41 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Paints - or clear coats- vary somewhat from maker to maker in term of hardness. Detailers will often say that such and such brand has a hard or soft clear coat. In my experience, BMW seems softer than MB. It takes less time and effort to polish out scratches. And occasionally a particular color will become notorious for peeling clear coat. The non-metallic MB red did that. But mostly I think paints have been of similar quality in recent years. But none of the above would affect water beading. That's really a factor of things like slope, how recently wax was applied, where the car has been parked since it was applied, whether it has been rained on or washed since, etc.
Appreciate 2
MMMM6GC275.00
Frupal791.50
      08-31-2020, 10:18 PM   #3
Mennaf06
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Bmw 640i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
At the moment I have two cars. My beloved 2016 640i GC, and my gorgeous little Magma Red CLK430. The Benz has only 31k on the clock and she looks it, inside and out. The thing is, I wash and wax them with the same products, good ones, and today I washed the Benz and noticed that it was basically ALLERGIC to the water. For some reason it seems to bead up and off much faster than the Beemer. Did they use different paint back in the day 20 years ago? Of course they did. Was it better? Or is this just a factor of a more steeply raked hood. Or perhaps I’ve completely lost my mind. Your thoughts?
Paints have changed from solvent based to water based. Bmw tends to have a dryer finish (more orange peel) but should technically hold up the same. I suggest a good ceramic coating. It will get the water affect your looking for as well as being that deep colour out/ make the paint last longer
Appreciate 1
Frupal791.50