BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-10-2020, 10:53 AM   #1
doggboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

megan racing or M6 muffler?

Ok 6post braintrust, i have a decision i am trying to make. It is finally time to do the exhaust, but i dont want to go too loud or have any drone. I have read both megan and M6/m5 mufflers will acomplish this, but i have never heard either in person (on a 650i).

Anyone on here heard both in person?

I am leaning towards the m6 mufflers since they keep the valve, but i am concerned the wont make much difference over my factory msport exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 08:41 AM   #3
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 09:03 AM   #4
doggboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerBosewicht View Post
I was hoping you would chime in. How were the cold starts when you sill had cats and resonators? Also how much louder than stock was it driving around?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 03:36 PM   #5
BMPOWERED
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650 GC M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggboy View Post
Ok 6post braintrust, i have a decision i am trying to make. It is finally time to do the exhaust, but i dont want to go too loud or have any drone. I have read both megan and M6/m5 mufflers will acomplish this, but i have never heard either in person (on a 650i).

Anyone on here heard both in person?

I am leaning towards the m6 mufflers since they keep the valve, but i am concerned the wont make much difference over my factory msport exhaust.
I did M6 mufflers on my 650 and couldn't be happier with the decision. I actually went a step further and zip tied the valves open for a bit more sound. The stock M sports sounded great (way better than my 550 did), but the M6 mufflers made a noted improvement and a nice increase in volume...but still not too loud. I don't have any youtube clips but feel free to DM me and I can send you some rev clips.
2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 (sold)
2001 BMW 325ci (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 04:02 PM   #6
matth3wthao
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F06 650i xdrive

I have m6 mufflers, zip tied flaps, and resonator delete. Straight steel piping from the stock H mid pipe to muffler. Very Slight subtle drone at 2500-3000 rpm when it's cold out and in comfort/+ music will cover the drone.
I'm quite young compared to 90% of F06 owners and dont mind the very subtle drone as I grew up with uncles in turbo'd civic hatchbacks.

Before resonator delete sounded good. Just wanted a bit more rasp at 4500-6500 rpm so I Deleted resonator. With the resonator delete the volume and drone probably increased 5%. But the raspiness of the exhaust note was noticeable. Farts more loud when on throttle and changing gears in sport/+ mode.

When I close the flaps with or without resonator. No drone. Flaps get rid of subtle drone. Quick and easy thing to do that make the drone go away if you don't want it.

Reminds of a stock amg.
Cold starts are noticeably louder but not annoying.

Can't say anything on Megan mufflers.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 01:19 AM   #7
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggboy View Post
I was hoping you would chime in. How were the cold starts when you sill had cats and resonators? Also how much louder than stock was it driving around?
The cold starts are loud with stock exhausts lol, with the Megan and the resonators I would say about the same level as stock just deeper in tone, no where near the decibels of the downpipes. She is pretty loud when you get on it very heavy, but to me it sounded to quiet with the resonators and the exhaust. So I went with the down pipes and still Megan’s. Also, when I got the Megan’s the price was way lower than what I am seeing now... I think were like 400 for the pair at the time, I have hear d the M6 mufflers with the zip tie mod in person and it sounded great! But because I got such a fantastic deal on the Megan I went that route. The difference in between stock and M6 mufflers on our car is slightly noticeable. This route to me is enjoyable
Appreciate 0