BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #45
Thewrench86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 \M sport. F06 640d M Sport

Am I correct in thinking the new bimmertech mmi prime uses the existing mic now, and additional wiring to the oem mic just needs to be done to get this to work. Has anyone installed this new mmi prime ?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 10:45 PM   #46
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

Yep, you're correct. I think somebody mentioned their antenna is weak though. Not sure if they resolved the issue in the meantime.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 12:33 PM   #47
bimmer12
Private
Rep
Drives: F06 650xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewrench86 View Post
Am I correct in thinking the new bimmertech mmi prime uses the existing mic now, and additional wiring to the oem mic just needs to be done to get this to work. Has anyone installed this new mmi prime ?
To my knowledge Bimmertech's MMI has used the existing mic for a while now (and possibly always has, not sure how it worked in its earliest days). But at the very least I can confirm that the new MMI prime uses the existing mic.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 03:27 PM   #48
Thewrench86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 \M sport. F06 640d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer12 View Post
To my knowledge Bimmertech's MMI has used the existing mic for a while now (and possibly always has, not sure how it worked in its earliest days). But at the very least I can confirm that the new MMI prime uses the existing mic.
Does it require additional wiring to the existing mic in the headliner or does it just work once connected up to the factory head unit?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 01:40 PM   #49
bimmer12
Private
Rep
Drives: F06 650xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewrench86 View Post
Does it require additional wiring to the existing mic in the headliner or does it just work once connected up to the factory head unit?
It's just a straight plug and play setup with the head unit, no additional wiring involved. If you want to see exactly how it's installed there's quite a few videos on YouTube showing all the steps, including ones from Bimmertech. Or if you prefer, Bimmertech also has a list of authorized installers on their website that you can contact for a quote (not sure how many are in the UK).
Appreciate 0