BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #1
doggboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Crankcase ventilation line warranty question

So I am aware that BMW has extended the warranty on these lines to 10 years and 100k miles, but my question is, can i take my car to any shop or dealer to have the new lines fitted?

I have a third party warranty, but since this is covered by BMW do i need to take it to a dealer? I started having a high pitched squeal, which i thoght was a failing tensioner pulley, but after checking, I found one of the crankcase ventilation lines was completely split (no longer connected at all). I used some electrical tape to do a half arse temp fix, but i want to get this resolved and I am not sure if i should go to my indie or a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 08:38 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

If BMW NA is to pay for the replacement...how can you be compensated by them without involving them somehow? You’ll need to find the BMW document that explains the extended warranty and see if they have a clause for compensation if work was done by a 3rd party. If there is no 3rd party clause or compensation clause...then you’ll need to have the work approved by a BMW dealership.

If you haven’t downloaded or read the document...here’s direct link: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...52287-9999.pdf

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 09:53 PM   #3
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i XDrive Gran Coupe M

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggboy View Post
So I am aware that BMW has extended the warranty on these lines to 10 years and 100k miles, but my question is, can i take my car to any shop or dealer to have the new lines fitted?

I have a third party warranty, but since this is covered by BMW do i need to take it to a dealer? I started having a high pitched squeal, which i thoght was a failing tensioner pulley, but after checking, I found one of the crankcase ventilation lines was completely split (no longer connected at all). I used some electrical tape to do a half arse temp fix, but i want to get this resolved and I am not sure if i should go to my indie or a dealer.
Dealer. It's covered so why would you not?
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
Powder Coated 373m Triple Bronze
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Custom Snow Performance methanol injection
Custom exhaust, straight pipes to quad tips
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 10:39 PM   #4
doggboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
Thanks Quicksilver, I appreciate the advice.

For TR,

I dont trust stealerships, i do most of the work myself. The thing on this is, i dont want to buy the parts or supply the labor if it is covered. I would prefer my indie does the work, but if this is a dealer only thing, then that is fine, i just wanted to check with those who have dealt with this before.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 08:17 AM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:

For TR,

I dont trust stealerships, i do most of the work myself. The thing on this is, i dont want to buy the parts or supply the labor if it is covered. I would prefer my indie does the work, but if this is a dealer only thing, then that is fine, i just wanted to check with those who have dealt with this before.
Even though it was covered under warranty, I bought the lines online and installed them myself. That's how much I like taking my car to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 09:42 AM   #6
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

The path of least resistance, take it to a dealer.
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2021, 10:01 AM   #7
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

For TR,

I have $10k under my hood that I've done myself but I still took it to the dealership to get these covered. I don't see the problem. It's a simple job and they cover it.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 01:18 PM   #8
SixPost
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Xdrive Alpine White

Careful with the electrical tape...

Heat is the problem in that area of the engine. Tried electrical tape myself and it was vaporized by heat after driving it once... Was concerned about melted plastic getting someplace where it could cause an issue... Didn't for me, but something to watch out for...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 02:32 PM   #9
doggboy
Lieutenant
Rep

So I went to the dealer and they wanted to keep the car overnight. He said the tech had to verify I qualified. I explained that I had given them the VIN, and they had verified my car was part of the recall, but he insisted that his tech needed to verify. I told him I wasn't leaving my car overnight with them for a 1 hour job, and if they gave me the part I would do it myself in front of his tech in 20 min. He didn't like that.

So I took my car back and I am thinking it is not worth my time to go back to the dealer for a $100 part. I did a search for the line and found a company who makes the hose for half the price! Has any of you ever heard of Motiv8?
https://www.vetfriendz.com/index.php...ucts_id=603571
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 03:28 PM   #10
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So I went to the dealer and they wanted to keep the car overnight. He said the tech had to verify I qualified. I explained that I had given them the VIN, and they had verified my car was part of the recall, but he insisted that his tech needed to verify. I told him I wasn't leaving my car overnight with them for a 1 hour job, and if they gave me the part I would do it myself in front of his tech in 20 min. He didn't like that.

So I took my car back and I am thinking it is not worth my time to go back to the dealer for a $100 part. I did a search for the line and found a company who makes the hose for half the price! Has any of you ever heard of Motiv8?
https://www.vetfriendz.com/index.php...ucts_id=603571
There is 4 hoses total that they will replace under warranty if your nice to them. I assume that ship has sailed… if you want buy the parts you need to replace the 2 top ones. One is cheap, the other is about $300 even aftermarket. The dealer at bare minimum will replace the vent pipe and the pcv (ccv) valve hose.
Attached Images

Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 03:39 PM   #11
doggboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There is 4 hoses total that they will replace under warranty if your nice to them. I assume that ship has sailed… if you want buy the parts you need to replace the 2 top ones. One is cheap, the other is about $300 even aftermarket. The dealer at bare minimum will replace the vent pipe and the pcv (ccv) valve hose.
I was polite, I don't think I caused any issues. I just got a bit of a dirty look when I said I could do it myself. We spoke for a few min after that, and I rescheduled for Friday.

I thought it was only the one hose that would be replaced, if it is 4 hoses and the PCV, I will just keep the Friday apt. Thanks, again TR.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 04:56 PM   #12
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was polite, I don't think I caused any issues. I just got a bit of a dirty look when I said I could do it myself. We spoke for a few min after that, and I rescheduled for Friday.

I thought it was only the one hose that would be replaced, if it is 4 hoses and the PCV, I will just keep the Friday apt. Thanks, again TR.
It's absolutely the top 2 no questions asked, the pcv one is pretty pricey at about $300 even online. I talked to the service manager and showed him the extended bulletin, he did all 4 for me. My buddy went about a month later and they did all 4 too. Might just be lucky dealership but worth mentioning
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 08:38 AM   #13
itzjoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Dealer around my area denied any service for my 2013 650i for the expensive $300 part. Went back and forth and even showing them the service bulletin only to be rejected. Since then I already upgraded my turbo inlets to the X5 inlets so I doubt they'll even touch it now lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 07:52 PM   #14
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

Unbelievable. I love my 2013 650 Coupe. First I hate the appearance of the entire new line of BMW styling. And it's with experiences like yours that make me say that I'll probably never buy another BMW. How can a written warranty be rejected by a dealer?

My car now has 33,000 miles and looks like a new car. Hasn't cost me a dime over none maintenance items. I've said before, I think the 650 coupe is the prettiest passenger car that BMW has ever made. I'm gonna keep this one a while.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 08:43 PM   #15
doggboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, good news. I took it back to the dealer, and asked if they would replace all 4 pipes and the PCV. He just said, the tech will look and replace what the buliten says to. Got a call, and he said they would rplace all 4 pipes and the PCV! Unfortunately I had to leave the 650 with them over the weekend and drive a loaner 228( not a great car), but the work is done, the dealer was polite, and it didnt cost me a dime.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 08:55 PM   #16
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well, good news. I took it back to the dealer, and asked if they would replace all 4 pipes and the PCV. He just said, the tech will look and replace what the buliten says to. Got a call, and he said they would rplace all 4 pipes and the PCV! Unfortunately I had to leave the 650 with them over the weekend and drive a loaner 228( not a great car), but the work is done, the dealer was polite, and it didnt cost me a dime.
Great. Told you you can get all 4 usually if you mention it. Glad it worked out.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 08:56 PM   #17
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzjoker View Post
Dealer around my area denied any service for my 2013 650i for the expensive $300 part. Went back and forth and even showing them the service bulletin only to be rejected. Since then I already upgraded my turbo inlets to the X5 inlets so I doubt they'll even touch it now lol.
Should be a non issue. I have $10k worth of work under the hood and they covered the hoses no questions asked.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3