BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-26-2021, 04:42 PM   #45
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Just none. I don't have to study/evaluate it as a job responsibility and as a customer I considered iPhone/Apple and rejected them forever (no re-consideration when choosing my current phone recently) a decade ago.

What I found absolutely unacceptable, insulting, was the Apple's policy/"manners" in treating their customers in a most insolent way. In particular, assigning to the services provider and requesting a payment card just to access their store (and something else, perhaps). I don't care what outstanding technologies they offer as long as they want to fuck me in the holes I don't even know I have. No deal.

I've heard of data leaks, of course. I prefer to handle my data myself. That is, I absolutely hate to share anything about myself unnecessarily: they just can't lose/misuse what they don't have, I like it simple/easy for them and myself (in particular ). The currently popular practice of sucking personal data (name, phone number, etc.) for no practical (in supplying the services requested) reason is very annoying, indeed.

Regarding SMS/iMessage security differences, I don't think I need the end-to-end security any badly: I don't communicate top secrets, I don't feel paranoid. I am fine with SMS for the regular use. I didn't even think of that before. It would be nice to have it but I can do without it for now.
Well shit, if you made your mind up 10 years ago and are too lazy to reconsider anything I'm surprised you aren't still using a BB. Good thing you admitted to how ridiculous your decision making is so we can just ignore your opinion.

I swear TX just makes one of these threads every now and then to stroke his own ego with his decisions or to start fights. Not sure why people are so passionate about a dang phone.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 3
JasonDot579.50
lakefront560.50
      07-26-2021, 04:54 PM   #46
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Well, that actually means those messages are delivered using different services: SMSes (no matter from iPhone or Android) are green, iMessages are blue. From the user perspective, this means:

1. Green texts use cellular networking to be delivered, while blue texts come through the Internet (it can be available through either cellular "mobile data" or Wi-Fi): https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-sms-mms-iphone-2000247;

2. iMessages must be readable only by the end recipient (end-to-end enchryption, you must solely depend on trusting Apple for that ) while SMSes use cellular transport encryption only (that's they can't be "sniffed" from the air like unsafe/public Wi-Fi communication, but the service provider can read them and make them read by whoever they choose): https://www.quora.com/Are-SMS-text-messages-encrypted;

3. The usage cost differs as well (if not obvious from above).

Not knowing what (and why?) you are using makes you a perfect Apple's dedicated customer. "Stupid is as stupid does."
Says a green bubbler...
Appreciate 3
Limegrntaln13014.00
paquet629.50
King Rudi13152.00
      07-26-2021, 05:20 PM   #47
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
It is pretty amazing. I remember when I first even chatted live with someone in Japan, mind blowing. First real (non car powered tank of a) cell phone, etc.

Now we have tiny devices in our pockets that have capabilities I couldnt even imagine back in the day despite my access to to 20k+ server hardware.
That's how I look at it. My first hard drive cost $600 in 1980's dollars. It was 10MB. That's not a typo. I am totally thrilled with my access to great technology of any brand.

We are so fortunate to have what we have, including the ability to discuss our love or hate of one particular brand over another. After all, that's what drives innovation.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      07-26-2021, 05:35 PM   #48
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

I can't even begin to fathom what it would be like to have this type of technology and power in the palm of your hand when I was a kid (70s-80s). In some ways I think it was a blessing not to have access to some of the shit we have today.
Appreciate 6
Limegrntaln13014.00
paquet629.50
King Rudi13152.00
Hawkeye2069.50
      07-26-2021, 05:53 PM   #49
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
So Tex has declared a winner eh?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 06:39 PM   #50
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Get rid of iTunes, and allow for drag and drop on iPhones, and we would have a clearer winner. iTunes is a mother-may-I; hate it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 06:56 PM   #51
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
It’s amazing how butt hurt people get over other peoples’ phone choices. Who gives a crap. It’s your money, buy what you want.
Appreciate 5
paquet629.50
King Rudi13152.00
Hawkeye2069.50
      07-26-2021, 07:18 PM   #52
LaVitaEBella
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

People have different preferences, and I respect that. I don't think that people should make it a big issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 07:20 PM   #53
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
FYI that is becoming less and less relevant, at least in the US. The major players and carriers in the US caved and signed on to use RCS. Non-proprietary imessage essentially.
I didn't mean I was an SMS devotee, a progress antagonist. Let them implement whatever enhancements on the base of it, make the "default" text messaging service whatever excessive it can be. I meant I had no reason to seek enhanced security above what it has now. Once you mentioned, I wouldn't rely on a US company for ultimate messaging privacy in US: the government can (will?) make them compromise it. That is, iMessaging should be safer outside of US, I think.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 07:31 PM   #54
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I'm iPhone all the way. Call me a fanboy. I stood in line for the first iPhone when it was $699 "with" a 2 year AT&T contract. I've had every model since its release in 2007. Being an early adopter, back 10 years ago, afforded you to get a new phone every year, even though you were on a 2 year contract. AT&T was hooking up the early adopters. Later when Verizon finally got the iPhone, those simple things changed.

I bought the first Galaxy Note, because I was enticed by the large screen, and this was while, or shortly after Jobs passed away, before they started coming out with Plus phones. I absolutely hated it. It was like the phone was using 3 operating systems. Android was garbage, TouchWhiz was even worse, and AT&T had their junk apps on the phone. Why are there multiple programs to check your email? TouchWhiz was using the desktop wrap around email titles and Android wouldn't push mail to the phone, it had to be checked manually. not to mention I had to buy a second battery, because the first battery was dead by noon. I had it for less than a month, and returned it. Back to my 3.5" screen, and it I never looked back.

People always have something to say about Apple, how Apple customers live in their walled garden. They live in an ecosystem that actually works together. After owning nearly a dozen Windows laptops, I bought my first MacBook Air in 2013. I still use that laptop for traveling. It still has a 21 second reboot time. The windows machines, just turn into junk after 6 months. They get so fragmented, they become unusable, even after I format and start over. Android is the same way. My Honda Accord and my Civic Type R, both use Android as their stock radio software. What a flaming piece of shit. The Civic has to have the absolute worst stock radio I have ever used in a vehicle. You can literally click skip song, and count to 4 before the song changes to the next song. And if you try to be a smart ass, and click it 3 times, it just doesn't do anything. I click FM, and it tells me that I need to plug my phone in. For what? I don't have an FM tuner on my phone. I plug the phone in, and half the time it wont connect to CarPlay. I have to hard reset the radio, back to factory settings, and restart my phone. Its just absolutely the worst radio software, ever.

Appreciate 2
Hawkeye2069.50
      07-26-2021, 07:44 PM   #55
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
I can't even begin to fathom what it would be like to have this type of technology and power in the palm of your hand when I was a kid (70s-80s). In some ways I think it was a blessing not to have access to some of the shit we have today.
Yeah but just think about what its done for road trips (aka never out of contact, never lost thanks to GPS and maps) and shitting (never reading the same Maxim or Guns n Ammo youve gone through 40 times).
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      07-26-2021, 08:13 PM   #56
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Yeah but just think about what its done for road trips (aka never out of contact, never lost thanks to GPS and maps) and shitting (never reading the same Maxim or Guns n Ammo youve gone through 40 times).
Oh I don't dispute the positive aspects or advantages, but my point was as a kid I wasn't concerned about social media which to me has eroded our society. I went outside and interacted with friends instead of staring at a phone all day long. Life is much easier in some ways simply because of the "power" of a smartphone or computer. There was no such thing as Google back in the day. Honestly I think this has led to laziness and maybe on a broader scale, entitlement among younger generations.

Always being reachable isn't necessarily a good thing if you want to truly escape.
Appreciate 2
paquet629.50
King Rudi13152.00
      07-26-2021, 08:28 PM   #57
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
I didn't mean I was an SMS devotee, a progress antagonist. Let them implement whatever enhancements on the base of it, make the "default" text messaging service whatever excessive it can be.
With that said, I am not welcoming any unnecessary compromises for the features I don't use. I actually hate to keep logged in (which appears mandatory for iMessage's end-to-end encryption, as it, apparently, implies identifying the both ends) to let them spy on me. It can be a PITA to convince them they don't know me when they believe they do, if I ever have to. And mobile Internet costs.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 08:29 PM   #58
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
So Tex has declared a winner eh?
Nope. That would the folks over at the research department detailed in the link and article I posted.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 08:57 PM   #59
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

Quote:
With that said, I am not welcoming any unnecessary compromises for the features I don't use. I actually hate to keep logged in (which appears mandatory for iMessage's end-to-end encryption, as it, apparently, implies identifying the both ends) to let them spy on me. It can be a PITA to convince them they don't know me when they believe they do, if I ever have to. And mobile Internet costs.
Do tin foil hats come in different styles? Like is there a fedora, baseball or cowboy variety?
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2021, 09:10 PM   #60
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
Get rid of iTunes, and allow for drag and drop on iPhones, and we would have a clearer winner. iTunes is a mother-may-I; hate it.

I use Amazon Music on my iPhone. It's fine. I never use iTunes.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 09:12 PM   #61
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Or Spotify. The great debate of iPhone vs Android

iPhone: I’m aware of my superiority
Android: I’m aware of my superior confirmatory bias
Appreciate 2
paquet629.50
King Rudi13152.00
      07-26-2021, 09:13 PM   #62
rwheels
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post

I just hate to having to go through iTunes to load anything on my phone. Quite frankly the more I can avoid the app, the better. VLC on any phone helps a lot!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 09:19 PM   #63
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Apple dropped iTunes as mandatory to load music on songs with iOS 12. Plug the in, and on Mac it pops up in the Finder, no iTunes needed.

Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      07-26-2021, 09:22 PM   #64
rwheels
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Apple dropped iTunes as mandatory to load music on songs with iOS 12. Plug the in, and on Mac it pops up in the Finder, no iTunes needed.
Didn't know this. Thanks I will give a shot now.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13014.00
      07-26-2021, 11:03 PM   #65
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I use nothing but Android
      07-27-2021, 06:27 AM   #66
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDot View Post
Do tin foil hats come in different styles? Like is there a fedora, baseball or cowboy variety?
I wouldn't know. Well, it might be not so advertising data collection related, but they can (do?) obtain their lockdown observance "statistics" from that (tracking your location if you have "lost phone retrieval" function, etc. enabled) as well as your cellular operator's logs, just for example.
Appreciate 0