BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      05-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #925
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
What are you guys doing for irrigation? I wish I had a built-in, but I'm not going to drop the coin on a place we only intend on being in for another couple years or so. We've got a tiny bit over half an acre that's long and relatively narrow. Closest spigot I have to the grass closest to the street requires me to have ~150ft of hose and I'm just not coming up with a decent solution. I have a total of three spigots (one on each side of the house except the front) and I really can't run more than one of them at a time without significantly reducing the water output of both.

What's a good way to measure water pressure? What should it be? I don't want to have exterior pressure to take care of the yard in a good spot and find that I'm blowing a faucet off inside.

Once pressure is figured out, what's some good hardware? I've seen some YouTube guys taking in-ground sprinkler heads and modifying them to be put on spikes. I really would like to be able to do multiple in series if possible. I'm currently putting one at the end of my hose length and it can take me over two hours to water the whole yards.

We're in a bit of a drought right now with no rain on the horizon. I'm killing myself trying to keep the yard from dying of thirst.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 03:27 PM   #926
tim99ws6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
What are you guys doing for irrigation? I wish I had a built-in, but I'm not going to drop the coin on a place we only intend on being in for another couple years or so. We've got a tiny bit over half an acre that's long and relatively narrow. Closest spigot I have to the grass closest to the street requires me to have ~150ft of hose and I'm just not coming up with a decent solution. I have a total of three spigots (one on each side of the house except the front) and I really can't run more than one of them at a time without significantly reducing the water output of both.

What's a good way to measure water pressure? What should it be? I don't want to have exterior pressure to take care of the yard in a good spot and find that I'm blowing a faucet off inside.

Once pressure is figured out, what's some good hardware? I've seen some YouTube guys taking in-ground sprinkler heads and modifying them to be put on spikes. I really would like to be able to do multiple in series if possible. I'm currently putting one at the end of my hose length and it can take me over two hours to water the whole yards.

We're in a bit of a drought right now with no rain on the horizon. I'm killing myself trying to keep the yard from dying of thirst.

My yard is fully irrigated, but use these for beds. Maybe something similiar?

https://www.gardeners.com/buy/snip-n...m/8589718.html
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #927
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I have irrigation and put a well in for the irrigation. City water for the house.
      05-13-2020, 03:43 PM   #928
tim99ws6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I have irrigation and put a well in for the irrigation. City water for the house.
I'll check with my irrigation guy, cause Im adding to mine right now. Ill see what he says
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 03:45 PM   #929
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim99ws6 View Post
I'll check with my irrigation guy, cause Im adding to mine right now. Ill see what he says
I out the well in because I was spending a lot on city water for irrigation. I think it was $1,200 back in 2002. Money well spent as I think it has paid for it self a few times over.
tim99ws6110.00
      05-15-2020, 08:37 AM   #930
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

grass is doing well after that RGS/HUMIC12 app.

tulips are doing great but pretty soon will be coming to their end of their life cyle

Went to our local nursery and i picked up a full load of Super Tunias from Proven Winners!

also picked up a couple varieties of Salvias

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      05-15-2020, 12:17 PM   #931
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Smile

First blooms of our Hibuscus

And surprisingly, my Fall Mums are still going strong in high 80 degrees!

05-15-2020, 01:15 PM   #932
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
First blooms of our Hibuscus

And surprisingly, my Fall Mums are still going strong in high 80 degrees!

Mums are popular out here in OH. Maybe I'll grab a few and put them in my containers?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 01:28 PM   #933
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Mums are popular out here in OH. Maybe I'll grab a few and put them in my containers?
By the way the flowers you recently got are awesome!
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #934
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
By the way the flowers you recently got are awesome!
thanks Marcus! hopefully it turns out well
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 05:30 PM   #935
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Just got a water pressure gauge delivered and measured 40 psi at an exterior spigot. Think I could try cranking it up a bit to get some more life out of my sprinklers? I’ve read to not exceed 70 psi, so thinking about trying about 50 - 55 psi. Newer home built in 2016.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 03:05 PM   #936
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Keeping the question game alive (I cranked up the pressure to the house this morning BTW... no toilets exploding yet)... Anyone try building their own privacy fence? I’ve got about 4000 sq ft of brush I’m going to clear while keeping the mature trees in place. Once I do that, I’m going to do ~340 linear feet of 6’ privacy fence (I’m thinking cedar pickets with treated pine for posts and crosses). I haven’t gotten any quotes for install, but I’m looking at roughly $3k in materials for DIY. I’d guess another $2.5k for install?

Anyone have any experience?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #937
Deep_Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 335i e90

I posted my Automower on here a while back. Love it, but my side yard's drainage was so bad it kept getting stuck or clogged with mud. Last weekend I finally tackled the beast.

Hand dug the first 100 feet, machine dug the second 100 feet.
Tied in 4 downspouts and 2 wall drains
Cut my cable line twice
Hit my irrigation lines three times
Got caught in a thunderstorm before I could re-fill the second half, so i got to bury it with soaking wet clay the next day and its a huge mess.

Yard still looks like a construction zone, but when it rains the water flies out of the pop up heads by the road. Hoping it looks respectable again in a few weeks...

Appreciate 2
      05-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #938
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I had four WONDERFULLY SWEET blackberries off my bush last night. Sorry, gone before could be photographed. In MAY!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 07:27 PM   #939
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Sheesh...with all this rain I'm hoping I won't have to deal with fungus like last year
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:14 AM   #940
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Blue View Post
I posted my Automower on here a while back. Love it, but my side yard's drainage was so bad it kept getting stuck or clogged with mud. Last weekend I finally tackled the beast.

Cut my cable line twice
Got caught in a thunderstorm before I could re-fill the second half, so i got to bury it with soaking wet clay the next day and its a huge mess.

Yard still looks like a construction zone, but when it rains the water flies out of the pop up heads by the road. Hoping it looks respectable again in a few weeks...
Curious why you went with corrugated flex pipe instead of a PVC line? I don’t believe you can rooter the flex pipe when it clogs or it’ll get shredded. We’ve got a Frankenstein drain system from the previous owner with this stuff partially underground and partially above ground and just got finished with having a drainage contractor put in a manifold system from the back patio down to the front yard on either side with tie ins for patio drains and downspouts. I believe it’s a 4 inch PVC line with flush points every 3 feet or so. They’re providing a diagram so we don’t have to guess where to dig should we need to access it to clear a clog in the future.

While they were doing it it rained and they noticed seepage out of the ground from the neighbor’s higher elevation so they put a French drain under the manifold on that side. They wrapped up just as the shut down went into effect so one side is pretty much back to normal but the other side is a disaster area - half filled in and now that the stuff they dug out and piled to the side has baked in some heat, it’s as hard as concrete.

Wasn’t cheap, but it’s backbreaking work - they dug mostly by hand with a pick to break up the hard parts. Saved a bit since they originally quoted a flat rate but offered to do time and materials. I think we got the manifolds and tie ins plus the French drain for what they originally quoted for just putting in the manifold for.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:16 AM   #941
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I had four WONDERFULLY SWEET blackberries off my bush last night. Sorry, gone before could be photographed. In MAY!!!
Just picked up a blueberry bush - fresh berries are awesome
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:00 PM   #942
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Smile

Our Celosia and Vincas starting to bloom for the Summer!

05-20-2020, 08:31 PM   #943
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Cheers, gentlemen.
Attached Images

phrozen06228.50
      05-20-2020, 09:04 PM   #944
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

ordered my what use to be called CarbonX for my Memorial Day fertilizer app of the year
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 09:51 PM   #945
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Blue View Post

Cut my cable line twice

Good for you. I did this job years ago and every time it rains I think how that effort was worth it. Good call getting the Ditch Witch.

I also installed an outdoor sump pump underground because there was a corner of the backyard patio that was to low to drain to the street naturally. I was hosing off the patio yesterday and thinking to myself, it was hard work putting it in but so worth the effort.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 12:17 AM   #946
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep

Laid down the nematodes yesterday after the sun went over the horizon. Gotta water daily the next few days and hopefully they’ll get in the soil adequately before it heats up over the next few days.

Need to rototill some spots tomorrow and get the vegetables in the ground soon. Weekend project will be inspecting and re-staking the bubblers that are annoyingly on hose lines and not a timer/valve for the fruit trees and shrubs.
Appreciate 0