BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-13-2021, 03:03 PM   #1
markpetrakis
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

F13 M6 vs E90 m3

I currently have a 2011 e90 M3 6 speed slicktop with the comp package. Am very seriously considering making the switch to a F13 M6 but was hoping someone here has done the same and can give some feedback to pros and cons. The other option I’m considering is SC’ing my e90, but want to hear thoughts on the e90 vs f13 first. Thanks for any responses!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 03:40 PM   #2
byebyev8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i f12 m6

Drive a m6. It’s a much more luxurious car you can compare it to 100k+ new cars today. With a tune alone these things are crazy fast an fun. But on the other hand it feels big and heavy it still handles good. But the e92 m3 feels so much more nimble and just handles better. I have a 500whp e92 335i along with my m6 and I like driving m6 more but the e92 is more fun and controllable. My m6 is the first car Ive had that I don’t turn the traction control all the way off the e90 platform feels like your in complete control unlike these.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 12:24 AM   #3
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

An E93 is 1810kg EU, an F13 M6 is 1850kg so quite a lot closer than an E92 at 1620kg
      06-14-2021, 03:32 AM   #4
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: m6

had 2 different e93 m3's for 8 years, have an f12 m6 for 2 years. e9x m3 = piece of shit compared to m6.

slower
uglier
less comfortable
less modern/tech
outdated as hell (looks/tech)
less reliable (way less)

only downside of m6 is exhaust isnt as nice as m3, but i dont want a ticket anyway so its a pro not a con.

Last edited by Xx__xs; 06-14-2021 at 03:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 07:04 PM   #5
M3talllic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 & M6 GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpetrakis View Post
I currently have a 2011 e90 M3 6 speed slicktop with the comp package. Am very seriously considering making the switch to a F13 M6 but was hoping someone here has done the same and can give some feedback to pros and cons. The other option I’m considering is SC’ing my e90, but want to hear thoughts on the e90 vs f13 first. Thanks for any responses!
I concur with @byebyev8

I had an E92 M3 prior to jumping into my new M6 GC (Competition) and they are completely different animals, respectively. You can't compare, bottom line. The easiest way to put it is whether you want a track car (M3 E9X) to throw around easily around corners or if you'd like a hwy missile (M6 F13/06).
I do miss the nimbleness of the E9X chassis more often than anticipated, but M6 is no slouch and can handle its own weight

A test drive should answer most of your questions. Wish you all the best.

- Ralph
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 10:12 PM   #6
markpetrakis
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3talllic View Post
I concur with @byebyev8

I had an E92 M3 prior to jumping into my new M6 GC (Competition) and they are completely different animals, respectively. You can't compare, bottom line. The easiest way to put it is whether you want a track car (M3 E9X) to throw around easily around corners or if you'd like a hwy missile (M6 F13/06).
I do miss the nimbleness of the E9X chassis more often than anticipated, but M6 is no slouch and can handle its own weight

- Ralph
I only live about a mile or two from my primary work location, and generally will cycle in to work. I also manage a location I go to once a week that’s about 120 miles round trip. I keep telling myself I’m going to track my m3, but with two young kids under 3 time hasn’t been there. I love the nimbleness of the m3 but not sure it’s the right car for right now. I’m worried I’ll regret letting it go though as the combo is only one of ten, but the more I think about it the more the M6 makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 10:51 PM   #7
M3talllic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 & M6 GC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I concur with @byebyev8

- Ralph
I only live about a mile or two from my primary work location, and generally will cycle in to work. I also manage a location I go to once a week that’s about 120 miles round trip. I keep telling myself I’m going to track my m3, but with two young kids under 3 time hasn’t been there. I love the nimbleness of the m3 but not sure it’s the right car for right now. I’m worried I’ll regret letting it go though as the combo is only one of ten, but the more I think about it the more the M6 makes sense.
I would highly recommend to test drive an M6 and determine, for yourself, on whether or not it's worth replacing such a beautiful spec of an E90 you have/own.
I also had a rare spec (6-Speed, single hump, stripper) and sometimes kick myself in the butt for letting it go; so, I feel your pain on that one.
BUT the interior and features in the M6 is what did it for me. I don't/can't see myself going back to an E9X chassis anytime soon, UNLESS I decide to build a "track" oriented vehicle.

Best of luck my friend,
- Ralph
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 04:55 AM   #8
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I concur with @byebyev8

- Ralph
I only live about a mile or two from my primary work location, and generally will cycle in to work. I also manage a location I go to once a week that's about 120 miles round trip. I keep telling myself I'm going to track my m3, but with two young kids under 3 time hasn't been there. I love the nimbleness of the m3 but not sure it's the right car for right now. I'm worried I'll regret letting it go though as the combo is only one of ten, but the more I think about it the more the M6 makes sense.
I would highly recommend to test drive an M6 and determine, for yourself, on whether or not it's worth replacing such a beautiful spec of an E90 you have/own.
I also had a rare spec (6-Speed, single hump, stripper) and sometimes kick myself in the butt for letting it go; so, I feel your pain on that one.
BUT the interior and features in the M6 is what did it for me. I don't/can't see myself going back to an E9X chassis anytime soon, UNLESS I decide to build a "track" oriented vehicle.

Best of luck my friend,
- Ralph
Wonderful problems 😂

But if you are buying an M6 because it makes sense… think again… Fundamentally, our cars make NO SENSE whatsoever, but my god are the fun and gorgeous…

So, if you need a sensible high performance big sedan (how many people really need one?) F90 M5 would be a significantly more sensible buy. And G30 550i probably even more sensible - both leave M6 in the dust off the line, probably no matter what kind of tune you might be running… But do they look drop dead gorgeous and make people turn their heads to a nearly 10-year old platform - I still argue M6 is the most beautiful BMW ever built, and there are not many other makes/models that are true competitors in that sense, especially if you go for F06.

No, you absolutely don't need an M6 - but you may desperately want one, and that's a great reason to pull the trigger. But be warned - unless you one day want something that ticks very different boxes (say an exotic supercar like an Aventador, a monster muscle car like Shelby GT500 (I wish we could get them to down under), or a proper 2-seater sports car like a Cayman GT4), you'll struggle to find a meaningful successor… I'm in that trap - would like to find something I would go all giddy, but no luck (within reasonable budget)…

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 11:37 PM   #9
markpetrakis
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
Wonderful problems 😂

But if you are buying an M6 because it makes sense… think again… Fundamentally, our cars make NO SENSE whatsoever, but my god are the fun and gorgeous…

So, if you need a sensible high performance big sedan (how many people really need one?) F90 M5 would be a significantly more sensible buy. And G30 550i probably even more sensible - both leave M6 in the dust off the line, probably no matter what kind of tune you might be running… But do they look drop dead gorgeous and make people turn their heads to a nearly 10-year old platform - I still argue M6 is the most beautiful BMW ever built, and there are not many other makes/models that are true competitors in that sense, especially if you go for F06.

No, you absolutely don't need an M6 - but you may desperately want one, and that's a great reason to pull the trigger. But be warned - unless you one day want something that ticks very different boxes (say an exotic supercar like an Aventador, a monster muscle car like Shelby GT500 (I wish we could get them to down under), or a proper 2-seater sports car like a Cayman GT4), you'll struggle to find a meaningful successor… I'm in that trap - would like to find something I would go all giddy, but no luck (within reasonable budget)…

Good luck!
Truly wonderful problems aren't they... Problems I never thought I'd have the privilege of having but glad to have them.

There is nothing sensible about my m3 let alone an m6 (or m5 for that matter), but I think it may make more sense for my wants and use case. The appeal of the m6 looks wise is what really makes the desire not go away. It may be between the m6 and the e9 for me when it comes to second most beautiful, though the 507 will always take the cake for me. It definitely is the best looking modern BMW.

I love my m3, but I have never found myself completely enamored with it like I had anticipated being. I had a 135i with some minor mods before the e90 and always left excited to drive it again after every drive. I was giddy to get back in and drive it again the next time. So far that hasn't been there with the m3. The gt4 is something that has been on my radar a lot, and while I'm privileged enough to be able to consider trading an m3 for an m6 that gt4 is still out of reach... For now. The people I have spoken to that have driven both have said that the m6 is intoxicating in a way that few others cars can be. I'll be test driving one soon enough to make that call on my own.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 11:16 AM   #10
Mandrake
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC MT

MelbourneFinn characterizes the M6 as making no sense, which resonates with me. He and I have the F06, so I will refer mainly to that one. Certainly many of the justifications I had for buying one turned out to be wrong, but I absolutely love the car, anyway. First, some things I got right:

-The M6 does not make sense in its excesses: Does anyone need 560-600 horsepower in a 4-door saloon car? A gratuitous carbon fiber roof? Carbon ceramic brakes on the family hauler? Roughly $30K beyond the M5 for better looks and less room? None of these things would be easily explained to a skeptical audience, but all are supremely appealing to me.

-I really liked the design, an unusually successful blend of aggressive, sexy, elegant, and powerful. Still do, and it's really common to draw appreciative comments whenever I stop. These are beautiful and rare cars.

-I had long imagined getting an outrageous family car and when I began looking I concluded the M6 was the lone choice for a manual transmission, and probably the last such option ever. The take rate on manuals has been really low for years and BMW no longer offers them in the M5 or M8, nor in the competition packages of the M2-3-4. Audi hasn't offered a manual for years, the C8 is paddle-only, and very few cars from any maker still offer one. I don't see that changing.

But many of my other expectations were not so well founded. Yes, you can use it as a family car, but if you needed 4 seats, would you really want to compromise the room in back with an unnecessarily raked roofline and a transmission tunnel topped with climate controls that effectively eliminates the middle seat?

And yes, it is comfortable for road trips but it's so gorgeous that a completely inflexible no snacking policy was adopted immediately.

I also thought based on reviews, videos, and a couple test drives that it would handle more crisply. It's a heavy car and remarkably agile for its weight, but it is not nimble in the same way as true sports cars. It handles more like a cigarette boat and gets more precise at faster speeds. With its enormous power it can chase down a lot of sports cars, but it is not the fastest off the line as a two ton, RWD monster. Think GT car more than race car, although many forum members have enjoyed tuning, tracking, and racing. It's an extremely capable platform. However, it carries a lot of weight that wouldn't appear in a dedicated racer, if you care about that.

I did look into the E92 M3 and the NA V8 exhaust note is a real highlight. A great choice, but I have never looked back. On the points where I was not well informed...well, I don't care. It turned out that the sexy roofline was worth a lot more to me than rear seat headroom. All the ways in which the car makes no sense are extremely appealing to me. I look at competing cars and more recent models and feel even more delighted with the M6. As mentioned by MF, the M5 is the more sensible choice, but who cares? The M6 is the baller's choice!

Last edited by Mandrake; 06-16-2021 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
mikerx5438.50
      06-20-2021, 03:08 AM   #11
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC SMB

I don't know how to properly tag people lol

I am pretty much with @[MelbourneFinn] & @[Mandrake]

I had E92 for a short period of time and I have been with F06 for a year next month. I miss E92 a lot and I have the same question as others here... was it a sensible purchase? I don't think so and It was a purely emotional purchase when I was on the hunt for another E92... ( I was not considering M6 at all ) I saw my car popped up on a google ad and I was like HOLY SHIT that is BEAUTIFUL BEAST I want the car! my wife, on the other hand, was very much against me getting E92 again.. but she really liked F06.. so I just pulled the trigger right away at her approval.

M6 will not give you a similar experience or enhanced experienced from E92 but it's just really a different car in its own class. As many say here.. I think the Design of the car is timeless and I truly think the M6 looks better than M8 and I don't think I will ever upgrade to M8 from M6 although M8 is a monster..

M6 is pretty rare.. I don't think I ever see M6 on the street maybe once a month or something.. so it makes your car more unique and rare.. M6 is a head-turner for sure.. especially if you get a color like mine SMB it definitely pops among all other cars on the street.. I always look back at my car multiple times after parking the car.. it's so sexy when it's out of the garage..

The practicality of the car.. it's not practical.. although it can be practical. People talk about getting this car as a family car.. yes it can be a family car.. but I don't think it will ever be a family car for me.. I have X5 for my family car... no one wants to ride my car in my family lol.. my wife and I were getting Baskin robbins last night and took my car... I was not even going fast but she was like "DO YOU ALWAYS DRIVE LIKE THIS??" I am like..lady.. I am just going 60mph here... and I had the same response from my sister today for Starbucks coffee pick-up.. my wife really dislikes riding in my car and she would not let me take my daughter in M6 either.. so.. for me, it's very hard to justify its capability of being used as a family car, however, I take M6 for Costco run time to time and I must say the trunk space is pretty amazing lol

I honestly have the urge to get a more proper sporty car something that's more nimble and raw than M6 and if you sell your E90 and move to the M6 platform you will probably have the same urge as me so if you can keep your car and get M6 then that would be a good combo to offset what you may miss from each other, for this reason, I have been tempted to sell my car and move on to another but I just couldn't do it.. when I look at it the idea of selling it just goes away.. and want to keep it as long as I can..

just like @[MelbourneFinn] said.. it will be very hard to find the proper successor for this car.. unless I get GT63 which wouldn't be a big step up IMO or get into supercar territory I guess.. so my plan is to add another car in the future.. I have been looking at W204 C63.. but not sure if this will happen soon.. Ideally, if my finance allows me to get something luxury..then R8 would be my choice..

Anyway if you are already debating I think you will most likely end up getting M6 so I welcome you to the club in advance
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #12
byebyev8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i f12 m6

I agree ☝️ I have a smb convertible. I was looking at an f-type R or c7 Vette m4 kinda but ruled out the because I wanted a v8. The M6 wasn’t even on my list of cars I was looking for especially a convertible which i hated before the m6. I The color is 100% what sold me and made the car unique and so rare around here I’ve only 2 other m6s on the street. They look so much better in person. It honestly gets the same attention as r8 or corvette Aston Martin etc... I think this generation m6 is probably the best looking car that bmws made in a long and people just don’t see them enough to realize. There was a blue m8 convertible at the dealership also and in person they look a lot more alike than in the pics online.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2021, 04:07 PM   #13
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyev8 View Post
I agree ☝️ I have a smb convertible. I was looking at an f-type R or c7 Vette m4 kinda but ruled out the because I wanted a v8. The M6 wasn’t even on my list of cars I was looking for especially a convertible which i hated before the m6. I The color is 100% what sold me and made the car unique and so rare around here I’ve only 2 other m6s on the street. They look so much better in person. It honestly gets the same attention as r8 or corvette Aston Martin etc... I think this generation m6 is probably the best looking car that bmws made in a long and people just don’t see them enough to realize. There was a blue m8 convertible at the dealership also and in person they look a lot more alike than in the pics online.
YUP! SMB always gets good attention. I took my car into the BMW dealer for a recall and everyone asked about my car which is fully stock and many did not even know what car it was and of course, everyone was asking about what color it is.

I am an attention whore and really enjoy it LMAO
Appreciate 1